Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

3 hours ago, Cygnia said:

I don't claim any particular authority to speak on His behalf, but it seems to me that this is the kind of thing that would drive Jesus to overturn tables and drive people out with a whip.

16 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Nope, look closer. A lot of that clearly isn't mud, it's rust. The metal is badly corroded, flaking away in several places. The stock and wood fittings are cracking. If the outside is like that, the inside must be just as bad.

It could be a color calibration difference, but it looks more like mud to me. On my monitor, it shows as the same color across the weapon, with a few spots that could be surface rust. However, the metal of the upper receiver/dust cover doesn't appear to be pitted or rusted in any way. 

The same thread shows conscripts who were issued Mosin Nagant rifles that are even older, and those don't appear to be dirty or rusty. Russian surplus weapons are packed away in copious amounts of Cosmoline to preserve them. So, even if that is rust, it's unlikely something freshly issued to conscripts.

Without a translation of the audio, we can't put that video into context. It could be someone taking video of an abandoned weapon left in the mud, for example. We don't know that it's conscript issue.

Really doesn't matter much at the end of the day, though. Russian conscripts are not going to be worth anything on the battlefield as anything other than cannon fodder to use up Ukrainian resources fighting them. If the forces currently in Ukraine couldn't hold gained territory, more conscripts won't help, even if their gear is shiny and new. This stinks of a desperation move, an attempt at intimidation that can't be backed up.

All jokes aside...this is a masssssssive storm.  150 mph, storm surges in the worst spots (SE of the eye) predicted to be in the 12 to 18 FOOT range...that'll swamp a 2 story house.  That's if it hits at high tide, but still...  Rainfall, the heaviest forecast right now is Daytona Beach...10-15 inches.

Stay safe, everyone.  

Cars submerged in Naples, 15 miles south of Fort Myers.  Storm surge in Fort Myers Beach is reportedly up to the second floor of the homes there and rising.  (Fort Myers Beach is one of those luxury beachfront subdivisions built on an offshore sandbar; it would not surprise me if Ian scraped everything off that sandbar or washed away the sandbar itself.)

On 9/27/2022 at 1:14 PM, wcw43921 said:

Because of course she did: "Congratulations to Giorgio Meloni and to the people of Italy," [Marjorie Taylor] Greene wrote on Twitter, misspelling the right-wing leader's first name.

And the reason they're celebrating is because their team won. Or maybe because the other team lost. Remember that bit in The Rise of Skywalker when General Hux says "I don't care if you win. I just need Kylo Ren to lose"? The GQP is a lot like that these days. As long as someone is beating The Woke Left™, they don't care how awful that someone may be. In fact, they'll embrace that someone as a comrade in arms and a blood brother and then viciously scream "INTOLERANCE!" at anyone who dares point out that they're openly allying themselves with actual Fascists.