Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

6 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

My American friends, may you find some comfort in seeing that the arrogance, ignorance, and spitefulness of the modern right-winger extends far beyond your borders. :(

I'm generally... well, not comforted but at least feel a bit less collectively stupid when I see similar things in other countries.  But not Canada.  I look at our friendly neighbors to the north like a little, smarter brother who learns from big brother's occasional idiotic mistakes and is better for it. 

Genocide is an ugly word, but it is an accurate description of what is being attempted against transgender folk here in the US.

A new anti-trans bill in West Virginia would ban "transgender exposure to minors" as "obscene matter."

If this passes, it will be illegal for me or people like me to exist in West Virginia. Bills like this are being proposed across the country, and some of the marginally less bad ones have already passed.

Some people wonder why I and people like me can't be friends with Republicans these days. After all, it's just politics. Well, I can not be friends with, or, honestly, even civil to, people who support the elimination of people like me. If you vote Republican in these times, you are voting for my death (or, I suppose, just my imprisonment, which, since you'd also have me put in a men's prison, might as well be my death). Whether you personally want me dead or not, if the party you support gets it way, that's the end result.

I limit my participation on these boards somewhat because certain frequent posters have made their affiliations clear, and I'm not going to interact with them as if they aren't evil and a threat to my existence.

1 hour ago, Dr.Device said:

Genocide is an ugly word, but it is an accurate description of what is being attempted against transgender folk here in the US.

A new anti-trans bill in West Virginia would ban "transgender exposure to minors" as "obscene matter."

If this passes, it will be illegal for me or people like me to exist in West Virginia. Bills like this are being proposed across the country, and some of the marginally less bad ones have already passed.

Some people wonder why I and people like me can't be friends with Republicans these days. After all, it's just politics. Well, I can not be friends with, or, honestly, even civil to, people who support the elimination of people like me. If you vote Republican in these times, you are voting for my death (or, I suppose, just my imprisonment, which, since you'd also have me put in a men's prison, might as well be my death). Whether you personally want me dead or not, if the party you support gets it way, that's the end result.

I limit my participation on these boards somewhat because certain frequent posters have made their affiliations clear, and I'm not going to interact with them as if they aren't evil and a threat to my existence.

Ironically we just hired another analyst who was in a similar situation.  She had to change jobs and move from Texas to California just so she could change her pronouns without getting killed.  Which is f__ing awful when you think about it, especially since her being how she is doesn't hurt anyone, especially not kids. 

She seems pretty awesome so far, but I resent her for already being better at my job than I am.  Thanks a lot, Texas.

4 hours ago, Dr.Device said:

I thought most if not all of the right-wingers had left these boards some time ago, when it became evident that the invasion of Iraq was a mistake.  I know it's been quite a while since Seenar and Thrakazogg have posted anything.  The closest I've seen to right-wingers posting lately were the posts objecting to Clinton as the 2016 Democratic candidate for President--but even those have become non-existent after it became clear what an even greater mistake it was to elect Trump.

I'm sorry you're feeling threatened here, Doctor.   that should not be happening to you, or anyone else.

6 hours ago, BoloOfEarth said:

I'm generally... well, not comforted but at least feel a bit less collectively stupid when I see similar things in other countries.  But not Canada.  I look at our friendly neighbors to the north like a little, smarter brother who learns from big brother's occasional idiotic mistakes and is better for it. 

Well Alberta is the Canadian province most influenced by the United States.  Still, there's an election coming up in March, and that will be its test.  So far Smith hasn't been elected by the public.  She's just hijacked a party that was falling apart.  

Trump actually went through an electoral process for the office of POTUS, and his win was legitimate under American law. Danielle Smith, the current premier of Alberta, only replaced the leader of the political party in power in Alberta, when its unpopular former leader resigned. Smith won the internal ballot of members of the Conservative Party of Alberta for the leader's position, but has not yet led them in a general election.

Imagine my surprise.

Reps. Marjorie Taylor Greene and Paul Gosar get plum committee assignments in GOP-led House

Greene — who has complained about the treatment of those charged in the Jan. 6 attack — was named to the Homeland Security Committee. Gosar, a climate denier, was given a seat on Natural Resources.

It has been pointed out that McCarthy has started lying to the public about Swalwell and Schiff, so this isn't a surprise. A surprise would be something like Matt Schlapp being sued for touching another guy's private parts and claiming he is happily married when he gets sued and his wife sticking by him. Now if that happened to McCarthy, that would be the surprise

CES  

17 hours ago, Clonus said:

Well Alberta is the Canadian province most influenced by the United States.  Still, there's an election coming up in March, and that will be its test.  So far Smith hasn't been elected by the public.  She's just hijacked a party that was falling apart.  

Is it really the part most influenced by the United States?  Vancouver could be mistaken for Seattle and shows a definite family resemblance to San Francisco.  Maybe all of Canada is influenced by the parts of the US to the south of them and vice versa. 

7 hours ago, Ranxerox said:

Is it really the part most influenced by the United States?  Vancouver could be mistaken for Seattle and shows a definite family resemblance to San Francisco.  Maybe all of Canada is influenced by the parts of the US to the south of them and vice versa. 

I think he meant, most influenced politically by the right-wing turn in the US.

But what you point out is absolutely true. Alberta has more in common culturally with Montana than with Ontario, while Atlantic Canada resembles New England. It's long been observed by many people, that North America would make more sense divided up vertically rather than horizontally.

I have no particular objection to helping adults safely introduce their kids to shooting sports. I learned to shoot when I was in my early teens, or maybe a bit before.

However, I have to say that I'm not aware of any shooting sports that feature automatic or semi-automatic weapons.

4 minutes ago, Pariah said:

I have no particular objection to helping adults safely introduce their kids to shooting sports. I learned to shoot when I was in my early teens, or maybe a bit before.

However, I have to say that I'm not aware of any shooting sports that feature automatic or semi-automatic weapons.

Full auto ownership is regulated by NFA, but there are competitive shooting sports which feature semi-auto firearms.  And of course there are divisions within those sports which allow full auto.

As to firearms scaled down to kids, why is anyone surprised?

Mom and/or Dad use them, of course the kids are going to want to use something similar.  There are toy tools (including scaled down power tools) and cooking sets.  Of course there are scaled down firearms - this is a family tradition for many people.  Teaching the kids young is no different for these families than teaching baseball or any other hobby.

46 minutes ago, Grailknight said:

If criminal liability attached to the gun purchaser....

Yes, stolen guns would still be an issue, but you can bet that people would be more diligent in securing their guns. It won't solve the problem but it's a step in the right direction. 

In order to do that, all guns would have to be registered, and all sales tracked.  That's never happening.  

Also, how many gun crimes are committed with receontly-stolen weapons?  The El Paso Walmart shooting...gun was bought legally.  Uvalde...the shooter bought 2 ARs legally.  In the Mandalay Bay incident, the shooter had MANY guns in his room, and more apparently at his residences...all legal.  I'm not intentionally cherry-picking here, I'm just looking up incidents that pop to mind.

If a gun is stolen, then used 2 years later and 1000 miles away, is that the purchaser's responsibility?  From an ethical standpoint, I think that's a very hard sell even in a restrictive-purchase environment.  Since it's so trivially easy to buy them, I can't support this.  Basic gun availability has to be addressed in a more comprehensive matter first.

Now, if we're not talking stolen guns, but guns left inadequately secured, then used in a domestic situation, or because they were available to someone with normal access to the home...the owner probably has an ethical responsibility for improperly handling a dangerous item.

Oh yeah, it merges them...

STOLEN GUN's OWNER - Imagine applying the same logic to vehicles.  Your car was stolen six months ago, and used in a drive-by shooting and three robberies last week, and you are responsible?

CANADIAN POLITICS - Danielle Smith has made a series of past gaffes - take a look at her campaign bus when she ran as leader of the  Wild Rose party in 2012. 

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/wildrose-partys-bust-bus-gaffe-causes-social-media-uproar/article534972/

The next election should be interesting, at least...

Based on leaked emails, it appears I now have both a national and provincial leader who considers interference with the justice system well within their rights (while knowing full well that it is not, given how hard both Ms. Smith and Mr. Trudeau worked to cover up their interference).

Our electorate (both sides of the 49th parallel) prizes showmanship over statesmanship. Our  recent "leaders" are the results.

1 hour ago, Hugh Neilson said:

STOLEN GUN's OWNER - Imagine applying the same logic to vehicles.  Your car was stolen six months ago, and used in a drive-by shooting and three robberies last week, and you are responsible?

False analogy.  The gun's fundamental nature is an object of violence.  The car's fundamental nature is as a conveyance.  Possessing a gun should imply a higher level of due diligence.

I *can* see a crime if a gun is left unsecured, and is purloined and used...but the owner's crime is improperly securing his weapon.  He can't be held liable when it's used in a shooting.  

Here's a distinction.

Some states allow a person to own poisonous snakes, usually with a permit.  If the snake escapes its enclosure and bites someone, the owner is almost certainly liable for negligence leading to injury.  If the enclosure is not adequately secured such that, say, an untrained person could open it...the owner is likely still liable.  This scenario is similar to a gun being left improperly secured.

OTOH, if someone steals the snake then uses it to attack someone else...the owner shouldn't be liable.

Another thought.

Discussing stolen guns presupposes, at least to me, that the gun crimes are being committed by people who routinely commit crimes and/or act violently.  This may well be the case with many smaller-scale incidents, but of the larger ones?  Many would be called one or more of:

--hate crimes 

--radicalization to an extreme belief

--severe mental instability

The shooters here, I believe, often don't have prior criminal behavior.  Burglarizing homes for guns isn't particularly in their personality/philosophy/sphere of competence.