Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

One of Perun's latest deals with foreign aid to Uklraine's war effort. As usual, he unpacks a lot of the complexity behind the headlines -- incluidng all the forms such "aid" can take. I particularly liked his discussion of what "escalation" means and when it happens, which sweeps away a lot of nail-bibbling punditry about, "Oh dear, what will Russia do in response?"

Dean Shpomshak

50 minutes ago, Pattern Ghost said:

How does he get up to 90? (I'm actually fine with him getting 90 consecutive life sentences, or whatever keeps him locked up. I'm just curious how they arrived at that number, based on the number of victims killed.)

45 of the charges were for hate crimes.  From the Texas Tribune, when the charges were filed:

He is charged federally with 22 counts of hate crimes resulting in death, 23 involving an attempt to kill and 45 charges of firing a weapon in relation to the hate crimes, according to an indictment of Crusius. The U.S. attorney’s office said that upon conviction, prosecutors will seek either the death penalty or life in prison.

Note that each person he wounded but didn't kill...another 20+...counts for the "firing a weapon in retaliation" charge and the attempt to kill charge.  

At the least, it will be much more problematic for Republicans to rant over Hunter Biden's laptop.

You know, here in Canada it was just announced that the mayor of Toronto has resigned over having had an extra-marital affair with a colleague during the pandemic. When I heard that my first thought was, "He's resigning? That's refreshing."

Ex-Twitter officials reject GOP claims of government collusion

GOP Congressional Hearing Accidentally Debunks ‘Twitter Files’.  Trump — Not Biden — Tried to Censor Tweets

I've heard the theory posited that current GOP legislators really thought investigating this issue would find a smoking gun. That they had themselves bought into the right-wing propaganda. If that's the case, we'll probably hear about more embarrassing dead-end "hearings" like this.

However, the reaction on social media, on the left or right, has so far been practically non-existent. It seems hardly anyone is watching the Oversight Committee hearings. That disappoints me. I can't really blame most Americans for not caring about what Twitter did, but more Republican voters might benefit from seeing what their representatives are actually doing.

All Things Considered reports the latest on the shoot-downs of the latest three "objects". All three reporters express disappointment at the government statement that there was nothing extraterrestrial about the objects. Mostly it's just that people loft a lot of stuff into the stratosphere, and now NORAD is looking for it.

http://m1.npr.org/2023/02/13/1156610134/the-latest-on-u-s-fighter-jets-shooting-objects-out-of-the-sky

Related:

http://m1.npr.org/2023/02/13/1156614099/former-norad-leader-on-the-challenges-of-detecting-small-uncrewed-flying-objects

Personally, I would be *so* tempted to troll the conspiranoids: "There is no evidence the objects were in any way extraterrestrial. They were unpowered and drifting. No energy discharges were detected, either directed or broadcast, on any frequencies, including those of human brain-waves. Remember that it is not possible, through electro-radionic technology, to change a person's sexual orientation or gender identity, or otherwise subvert the human will. There is no cause for alarm, no matter what you may see in the skies. Your government remains vigilant, trustworthy, and in Earthling -- I mean, human -- American-- hands."

It's probably a good thing I'm not in government.

Dean Shomshak

1 hour ago, DShomshak said:

All Things Considered reports the latest on the shoot-downs of the latest three "objects". All three reporters express disappointment at the government statement that there was nothing extraterrestrial about the objects. Mostly it's just that people loft a lot of stuff into the stratosphere, and now NORAD is looking for it.

http://m1.npr.org/2023/02/13/1156610134/the-latest-on-u-s-fighter-jets-shooting-objects-out-of-the-sky

Related:

http://m1.npr.org/2023/02/13/1156614099/former-norad-leader-on-the-challenges-of-detecting-small-uncrewed-flying-objects

Personally, I would be *so* tempted to troll the conspiranoids: "There is no evidence the objects were in any way extraterrestrial. They were unpowered and drifting. No energy discharges were detected, either directed or broadcast, on any frequencies, including those of human brain-waves. Remember that it is not possible, through electro-radionic technology, to change a person's sexual orientation or gender identity, or otherwise subvert the human will. There is no cause for alarm, no matter what you may see in the skies. Your government remains vigilant, trustworthy, and in Earthling -- I mean, human -- American-- hands."

It's probably a good thing I'm not in government.

Dean Shomshak

I am in government, and that would be hilarious.

This is beyond contemptible.

GOP Lawmaker To Trans Witness In Hearing: 'Do You Have A Penis?'

EDIT: I'm sorry. I let outrage get the best of me. But you have to read that article to believe how outrageous that kangaroo hearing was, and how the transphobic populace are celebrating it. In fact you still might not believe it.

Nicola Sturgeon resigns as First Minister of Scotland

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-64647907

She was a divisive figure. If she had done more than harp on about Scottish Independence especially after losing the vote then her departure could be seen as a triumph or as a job well done. As it is, I cannot think of one thing that has improved for Scotland under her oversight. Except maybe the poll figures for the SNP but that may tail off now that she is leaving.

19 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

This is beyond contemptible.

GOP Lawmaker To Trans Witness In Hearing: 'Do You Have A Penis?'

EDIT: I'm sorry. I let outrage get the best of me. But you have to read that article to believe how outrageous that kangaroo hearing was, and how the transphobic populace are celebrating it. In fact you still might not believe it.

I admit, had the respondent been been me, and I'd been quick enough, my response would have been: "Yes, I have a couple in my pocket right now.  Is yours missing?"

EDIT: Several years ago, after my annual physical, my primary care physician said to me, "You have the prostate of a 19-year-old,", which was of course a reference to my health, but it led to various jokes later that week along the lines of what appears above.  (specific link)

Very seriously deserving of his commonly granted title, "best ex-president the United States ever had." Carter never rested on his laurels or focused on profiting from his notoriety. He always strove to do more for humanity, in numerous ways. His presidency was decidedly mixed, but that's only a fraction of his legacy.

It's sad to already be talking about him in the past tense. :(

There are not many politicians who burnish their reputation after they leave office.  I think Jimmy Carter drew a poor hand during his presidency but his decency and honesty, especially the honesty, should be a shining example to politicians all over the world seeking legacy.

More decency and honesty from our politicians would be VERY welcome.

1 hour ago, Cygnia said:

I'm not a religious person by any stretch of the imagination, but Carter is, to me, an example of what a good Christian should be.

Jimmy Carter has done his best to live what the Bible teaches, not just mouth the slogans. I've met a few sincere Christians like that in my life. I often fear that religion does more harm than good, and I hate how it's always been used as an excuse to justify intolerance and hatred. But I can't fault anyone for whom religion is a motivator to treat their fellow humans with respect and compassion.

Okay. Biden went to Ukraine before stopping at Poland.

Honestly, he wasn't my preferred choice for President out of the Dems,  and there are policies I disagree on, but damn... respect to him. He's done this before the anniversary of the Invasion when Putin is feared to launch a missile Barrage (And still might). It would be crazy of Russia to attack Kyiv while an American President was there so Biden was PROBABLY safe but he still took a risk to show up and show support because 'sanity' isn't as reliable as it used to be.

Does it stop Russia's aggression? No, but I suspect it does wonders for Ukrainian Morale