Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

On 5/25/2023 at 4:29 PM, Lord Liaden said:

You might want to talk to someone who spent 18 years in prison. I talked to one who had spent twelve years. There were times he thought he'd have preferred the death penalty.

He'll have a following in prison.  It makes things easier.  

i2k2koy0a72b1.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

1 hour ago, Clonus said:

He'll have a following in prison.  It makes things easier.  

i2k2koy0a72b1.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

That’s no joke, we had that in California on the other side and people lost their jobs and faced financial penalties (termination for cause). An NDA signed in public service is actionable, you can’t say “First amendment rights” as a defense.

47 minutes ago, Iuz the Evil said:

That’s no joke, we had that in California on the other side and people lost their jobs and faced financial penalties (termination for cause). An NDA signed in public service is actionable, you can’t say “First amendment rights” as a defense.

It may be covered by whistleblower statutes, and there may be other ways to breach the NDA.  There are limits here, and this policy *might* go outside the bounds of the NDA.  It wouldn't be the first time it's happened;  the "anti-woke" crowd doesn't seem to let little things like existing laws stop them.  See:  DeSantis in Florida.   

And this getting out, will encourage the media to dig, and potentially encourage others to spread more of this.  Even if it's legal, it's an abuse of authority, and IMO a breach of public trust to attempt to conceal policy changes and resulting actions.

2 hours ago, Iuz the Evil said:

True I'm sure.  However, when you send a notice out to everyone in an entire government agency, it is going to be very hard to figure out who leaked the notice.  This is doubly true when the agency in question does not have any investigative powers.

3 hours ago, unclevlad said:

It may be covered by whistleblower statutes, and there may be other ways to breach the NDA.  There are limits here, and this policy *might* go outside the bounds of the NDA.  It wouldn't be the first time it's happened;  the "anti-woke" crowd doesn't seem to let little things like existing laws stop them.  See:  DeSantis in Florida.   

And this getting out, will encourage the media to dig, and potentially encourage others to spread more of this.  Even if it's legal, it's an abuse of authority, and IMO a breach of public trust to attempt to conceal policy changes and resulting actions.

Whistleblowing statutes only protect you if there is evidence of legal wrongdoing. If they have a specific law violation they’re protected, otherwise as a public servant you are explicitly prohibited from taking any position on political issues or using information you gain through your position in that sort of manner. Public servants are to serve, without expectation of personal reward or influence. That seems to rarely happen, but it’s the intent of these sorts of issues.

2 hours ago, Ranxerox said:

True I'm sure.  However, when you send a notice out to everyone in an entire government agency, it is going to be very hard to figure out who leaked the notice.  This is doubly true when the agency in question does not have any investigative powers.

This is true, it is hard to find the source in many of these cases. In my very recent experience, a serious local Witch Hunt resulted in no findings. As long as they do not get identified, they’re safe.

I suspect given the State in question, they will be able to leverage the full authority of the State to investigate. Might not change the outcome, but the Sheriff was asked to investigate the information breach in the local case I mentioned. As was Counsel and Human Resources. All governmental data systems, including cell phones issued, were subject to review.

I hope they are careful, or this will be personal very painful for them.

IF the debt authorization bill passes...I'm beginning to think it will, as some Democrats voted to move out out of committee...then I fully expect the Freedom Caucus to call a motion to vacate, as soon as possible.  Video today has them irate over the lack of cuts, and it seems likely they're gonna try to retaliate.

This could be an interesting moment.  The Democratic caucus should be talking about 

a)  do we, or do we not, support the compromise? 

b)  IF!! it passes, and the Freedom Caucus then calls the motion after it's cleared Congress (thus, the urgency is reduced)...do we back the motion or not?  Actually voting against the motion to vacate, IMO, would strengthen McCarthy a bit, but it would damage the Freedom Caucus a GREAT deal more, IMO.

c)  If the Freedom Caucus moves to vacate *before* the authorization bill has gone through the whole process, then I'd hope the Dems just don't even think twice and vote against it...as now it's just a blackmail measure.  Unfortunately, the rules appear to indicate that there's no limit to the number of times a motion to vacate can be called.  It's a privileged motion too;  normal House business can't proceed until it's cleared.

But if this causes the government to default, then the consequences will be blamed squarely on them, and there's a decent shot of *severe* backlash against all Republicans.  It probably won't be worth the pain we'll ALL feel, tho. 

I don't want Americans to suffer as they would if the budget doesn't pass and the country defaults on its debts. Yet there's a part of me that almost wishes the "Freedom Caucus" succeeds in defeating the deal. For the long-term good of the United States and the world, the GOP needs to burn to the ground, and this might be enough to do it.

EDIT: Make no mistake, I'm aware that American default will throw the world economy into turmoil, including my country. But where the US is headed politically could turn out even worse.

Edited by Lord Liaden

8 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

I don't want Americans to suffer as they would if the budget doesn't pass and the country defaults on its debts. Yet there's a part of me that almost wishes the "Freedom Caucus" succeeds in defeating the deal. For the long-term good of the United States and the world, the GOP needs to burn to the ground, and this might be enough to do it.

EDIT: Make no mistake, I'm aware that American default will throw the world economy into turmoil, including my country. But where the US is headed politically could turn out even worse.

I feel the same, but when you're the patient, it's still hard to accede to amputating your arm despite the gangrene in the forearm.

Procedural vote to begin debate on the debt ceiling bill passed, which is apparently the next step in the arcane process to get the bill passed.  29 Republicans voted against it.  52 Dems ultimately supported it.  Apparently they were playing a waiting game to see how many would be needed to ensure it did pass this round.

McCarthy has scheduled a final vote for this evening.  Minority Leader Jeffries has said, he'd make sure to have enough Democrats to support it, so it would pass.

My first conclusion is, this is making the Freedom Caucus look petty.  Well, that's not the word I almost typed, but that's one Simon probably won't mind.......

This just in...

The House passes the debt ceiling bill, EASILY.  Because in the end, more Democrats voted for it, than Republicans.  71 Republicans voted against it.  Haven't tried to dig up who voted against, but that should be available, if not already, then pretty soon.

Makes me wonder how many Freedom Caucus members are throwing hissy fits.

EDIT:  WaPo has the roll call results, if you're interested.

18 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

I've said for quite some time, I don't believe MTG is as stupid or crazy as she acts. She's playing to her social media followers.

I'm not sure what to make of Boebert's abstaining. I'm strongly inclined to believe she is as stupid and crazy as she acts.

She didn't abstain.  She missed the vote.  She was reportedly seen rushing into the chamber as the vote was finalized.

I wondered what she might have been up to that would have caused her to be so late, but then I realized I probably don't want to know.