Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

I'm just trying to figure out how Trump intends to use nukes against ISIS.  Without, y'know, killing tens of thousands of innocents and spreading radioactive fallout all over the place

Personally, I wonder if the push for more nukes is just a variation on the "War is Good for the Economy" mindset.  And if so, did these people learn nothing from Iraq?

From this article - http://www.cnbc.com/2016/12/23/trump-regulatory-advisor-icahn-may-have-conflict-ethics-lawyer.html he seems to fit right in with your description of Trump's picks.

To be fair, there have been questions raised for a long time about mandating and subsidizing use of ethanol as an extender for fuel, so there may be an actual set business reasoning behind his effort, beyond his personal profit.

I'm just trying to figure out how Trump intends to use nukes against ISIS.  Without, y'know, killing tens of thousands of innocents and spreading radioactive fallout all over the place

Personally, I wonder if the push for more nukes is just a variation on the "War is Good for the Economy" mindset.  And if so, did these people learn nothing from Iraq?

The alt-right has a different definition of "innocent people" than most folks who are, you know, sane. A definition that is not all that inclusive.

They bring to mind what Fred Rogers told his audiences about "scary mad wishes" -- intrusive, terrible thoughts children and adults get that feature intensively destructive things towards people (especially loved ones). He reassured the children who were watching that thoughts are not actions. Just because you have a terrible thought doesn't mean it's automatically going to happen, and it doesn't make you a horrible person. You are only a terrible person if you act on those ideas. That's why actors who play villains are usually not villains themselves, why a writer of horror stories can still be a decent and ethical person, and how a person who foresees a terrible future can act to prevent it.

Throughout this campaign cycle, and probably for the next four years, I will be wrestling with the notion that many of the intrusive thoughts I have are shared with powerful people who can act upon them. In my case, the intrusion is disordered and does not at all reflect my actual values. I hate them, and hate myself for having them, but will usually act in the complete opposite direction. The problem is that there are people in positions of power who think many of the same things and do not consider them intrusive at all. And that scares me. It really does.

Well Nuke winter counters Global warming, And it makes the world safe for rich folks...win/win? :jawdrop:

The alt-right has a different definition of "innocent people" than most folks who are, you know, sane. A definition that is not all that inclusive.

They bring to mind what Fred Rogers told his audiences about "scary mad wishes" -- intrusive, terrible thoughts children and adults get that feature intensively destructive things towards people (especially loved ones). He reassured the children who were watching that thoughts are not actions. Just because you have a terrible thought doesn't mean it's automatically going to happen, and it doesn't make you a horrible person. You are only a terrible person if you act on those ideas. That's why actors who play villains are usually not villains themselves, why a writer of horror stories can still be a decent and ethical person, and how a person who foresees a terrible future can act to prevent it.

Throughout this campaign cycle, and probably for the next four years, I will be wrestling with the notion that many of the intrusive thoughts I have are shared with powerful people who can act upon them. In my case, the intrusion is disordered and does not at all reflect my actual values. I hate them, and hate myself for having them, but will usually act in the complete opposite direction. The problem is that there are people in positions of power who think many of the same things and do not consider them intrusive at all. And that scares me. It really does.

This political cycle there appears to be a lot of pushback, I hope that has good results for preventing a lot of this.

US Senators call for sanctions against Russia over elections hacks

"We have to sanction Russia for these cyberattacks (and) send a clear message to the incoming administration that there is a lot of bipartisan support in Congress for going after this," Sen. Amy Klobuchar told The Associated Press by phone from Latvia.

Donald Trump dismisses US sanctions threat to Russia

"We ought to get on with our lives"

:nonp:

US Senators call for sanctions against Russia over elections hacks

"We have to sanction Russia for these cyberattacks (and) send a clear message to the incoming administration that there is a lot of bipartisan support in Congress for going after this," Sen. Amy Klobuchar told The Associated Press by phone from Latvia.

Donald Trump dismisses US sanctions threat to Russia

"We ought to get on with our lives"

:nonp:

Too much to hope that that's enough to prove collusion between Trump's campaign and the Russians.  I'd definitely count it as evidence though.

It's not a conspiracy theory when members of Trump's senior campaign staff had also run Moscow-supported campaigns for Yanukovich, when his advisers worked closely with Russian oil companies, and when Trump himself has been working with Russian investors for years in projects both in and out of Russia. It's a stretch to think that Russia wasn't closely involved in the campaign.