Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

It's not clear there's any fix to the Court's problems...not independently, anyway.  The root problem is still the fundamental subversion of the appointment process...and arguably, this reflects root issues with the federal government's structure and election processes.

The Constitution doesn't say much.

https://constitution.congress.gov/browse/essay/artII-S2-C2-3-5/ALDE_00013096/

He shall have Power, by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, to make Treaties, provided two thirds of the Senators present concur; and he shall nominate, and by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, shall appoint Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls, Judges of the supreme Court, and all other Officers of the United States, whose Appointments are not herein otherwise provided for, and which shall be established by Law: but the Congress may by Law vest the Appointment of such inferior Officers, as they think proper, in the President alone, in the Courts of Law, or in the Heads of Departments.

So the one aspect that is defined is the role of the Senate.  

5 hours ago, unclevlad said:

This is why Biden was 10000% right.

We MUST defeat Trump in November.

I quite agree, which is why I've been active in getting out the vote. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post any links here, but I can contact anyone who's interested via PM.

16 minutes ago, megaplayboy said:

I am at a loss to contemplate that enough people might still support The Former Guy to put him back in office.  I think that would lead to the greatest buyer's remorse of all time.

Not if the objective is to burn the country down with the libs in it.  Besides, denizens of the conservabubble are force fed a constant stream of propaganda that will insulate them from any buyer's remorse.  It's like Wonderland in there, only more nonsensical.

3 hours ago, Old Man said:

Besides, denizens of the conservabubble are force fed a constant stream of propaganda that will insulate them from any buyer's remorse.  It's like Wonderland in there, only more nonsensical.

This.  Trump isn't President without Fox News, IMO;  even more, he gets blitzed in 2020 without them.  The hard-core MAGAts don't listen to anything that doesn't support Trump.

It's also worth noting that the repressive religious nationalists are a sizable chunk.  They'll get their goals advanced...ideological, social, and medical "purification."  They'll point to the need to do that, and rationalize away any problems by tying it back to the "impure" in one way or another.

And there's plenty that are worried about Trump...but still see ANY Democrat as The Greater Evil.  I've said for several years now, that I will not vote for any Republican candidate, for any office level, because they're directly or indirectly complicit in supporting Trump.  A couple other folks have said the same this year, IIRC.  The flip side is, there's plenty of voters who dislike liberal policies so strongly that, even if they don't want Trump...they can't vote Democratic.  Doing otherwise runs counter to 30+ years of counterprogramming, and the side effects of liberal policies.  Clean energy?  Pollution reduction?  Many mandates are viewed as unwanted interference...and forces taxes up, which hurts them directly and visibly.  

4 hours ago, Old Man said:

Not if the objective is to burn the country down with the libs in it.  Besides, denizens of the conservabubble are force fed a constant stream of propaganda that will insulate them from any buyer's remorse.  It's like Wonderland in there, only more nonsensical.

And it sticks for years. I was participating in a phonebank yesterday. One of the callers I contact said in an accusatory voice that I sounded Mexican and promptly hung up.

Some Republicans...in and out of office...are now pushing for legal warfare.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/06/05/us/politics/trump-conviction-gop-revenge.html?u2g=i&unlocked_article_code=1.xk0.PYvR.dqOI03vJw0nQ&smid=url-share

On 6/5/2024 at 1:57 PM, megaplayboy said:

I am at a loss to contemplate that enough people might still support The Former Guy to put him back in office.  I think that would lead to the greatest buyer's remorse of all time.

It's important to connect these two notions, IMO.  There may be little or nothing that really comes of the calls to prosecute...at least before the election, but I'm much more worried this'd happen if Trump wins...but it's significant in showing the deep degree of separation between the Dems and the Republicans.  Because Reps touting this, KNOW they have no justification for it.  It's simply a continuation...more intense, but not really notably different...of their demonizing efforts over the last 3-4 decades.  I'm reminded of a line from Strangers in a Strange Land...the Fosterites ensured that all attempts to prosecute them turned into persecution.  Rather similar, IMO.

And given ANY kind of grounds...it works.  The Georgia case is frozen due to the inappropriate relationship issue with Willis...the Georgia appellate court froze everything until that situation is decided.  Let's not even *start* on Cannon and her consistent efforts to shut down the documents case.  This all plays into the persecution propaganda.

For many on both sides of this conflict, it isn't political, or ethnic, or even religious. It's personal. The grief and rage and hatred they feel is as though they themselves were attacked, because what's important to them was attacked. Their emotions have been reinforced  generation after generation, by events comparable to this. Politics and diplomacy alone won't sate those feelings. I honestly could not say if I believe enough Israelis and Palestinians will ever rise above it to be able to achieve peace. :(

I'm not a country music fan, but every time I hear Dolly Parton, or hear about her, she's doing or saying something so darn nice that I wish I was more like her. Apart from her being one of the major talents of her field. I somehow missed whatever this is about, but if anyone in MAGA-world is taking offense at some kindly thing Dolly Parton said or did, I am sure they only make themselves look like ulcerous vermin to everyone else. Just contemptible.

And you know what? I don't want to know the context. Life's too short to waste it on this tripe.

Dean Shomshak

7 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

That's Trump's reflex. He's done that his whole life, whenever someone says anything about him he doesn't like.

I don't think he comprehends that his power to intimidate has shrunk dramatically.

A major criticism of Trump's strategy in the recent NY trial was, he is totally non-selective.  He'll *always* deny and challenge anyone and everyone, on anything...even in disregard of a clear, public record...that paints him even slightly unfavorably.  There, it essentially gutted his credibility.  So it's more of the same, and his record at trial is such that it's nothing more than a nuisance.

A clever political operative might find a way to exploit this. Manufacture provocations that keep Trump lashing out in so many directions that he swamps his own message. (Possibly the Lincoln Project was trying something like this.)

Except an episode of This American Life I listened to a few days ago suggests that a lot of Trump's base doesn't pay much attention to his threats of retribution against his ever-expanding list of enemies. It makes the hard-core MAGA cadre cheer, but he holds a different appeal for many others.

First, they genuinely believe he's persecuted by Biden and the Deep State. But they don't want to see, say, Bill Barr in the dock for deriding Trump's claims of election fraud. The Trumpists interviewed talk about getting back to normal, being able to afford a house or to fill up their truck's gas tank. At least in this program, they don't seem to get that Trump is all chaos and disruption, that what policies he enunciates won't supply the normalcy they crave, and that presidents can't do the sort of economic changes they want. A president can't just order the oil companies to reduce the price of gasoline, or decree the construction of millions of low-cost homes.

Though a king dould. I suspect many Americans do not understand the difference -- and if they did, would prefer the king. Freedom is having a good master. But I can only speculate here.

Anyway, let me see if I can get a link for the episode. It's mostly about Trump's revednge mania, with interviews with some of the people high on his enemies list, and what they're doing to prepare for a Trump second term.

EDIT: Oh, that was easy. Note that this includes unbleeped profanity. Right at the top there's a link to a bleeped version, if you'd prefer that.

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/833/come-retribution

Dean Shomshak

Edited by DShomshak