Turning Interesting Facts into Interesting Story Ideas

I sometimes learn an interesting fact and I wonder if I could turn that into an interesting character or story idea.  As examples, I just learned that northeast Indians are ethnically pure Asian in appearance and receive some racially based suppression from more dominant Indian ethnic groups.  I have also learned that there is such a thing as national collegiate-level croquet competitions.  I have also heard of a minority Vietnamese warrior tribe called the Hmong.  I have come up with a super hero for my campaign who is Hmong.  I only just learned of the ethnic issues in northeast India and have not developed any character or story ideas to go with it nor have I created a character that is a collegiate level croquet champion, but I intend to do both.

I doubt I am the only one on this board who likes to bring in interesting real world knowledge into their games.  What unusual facts have you worked into a campaign or character, or what unusual facts would like to work into your campaigns or characters? 

Years ago when dating someone who was a very 'cheap' date (in terms of alcohol consumption) I learned:

-----

Approximately 1 out of every 3 individuals of Asian descent experiences 'alcohol flush reaction' (aka 'Asian flush' or 'Asian glow') when alcohol is consumed.  This entails a flushed, redness of the skin -- usually the face, neck, shoulders ... and sometimes other parts of the body and/or the entire body.  This is thought to be the result of very efficient metabolization of alcohol into acetaldehyde ... in conjunction with a genetic issue that results in less efficient breakdown of the acetaldehyde that is produced.  The resulting toxic build-up of acetaldehyde in the body causes increased effects from its presence -- which include the 'flushing' response and also a heightened state of 'drunkeness' from a given amount of alcohol.

The allele that causes this seems to have been positively selected for ... in those of Asian descent.  The selection has been correlated with the spread of rice cultivation, and it is theorized that the positive selection was the result of the allele conferring protections against parasitic organisms.

I've used this in the following type of game translation (as parts of a racial template):

-----

LIFE SUPPORT: Immunity to ingested/injected terrestrial parasitic organisms [costs 1 CP]

LIFE SUPPORT: Safe Environment - Character is safe in environments where typically-ingestible parasites might enter the body in other places (eyes, nose, etc.) [ costs 1 CP]

VULNERABILITY: Ingested/injected alcohol (Uncommon attack, x1 dmg) [complication worth 5 CP]

PHYSCOLOGICAL COMPLICATION: Does not drink (common situation, moderate intensity requiring EGO roll at +5 in order to deliberately consume alcohol) [complication worth 10 CP]

There is a recessive gene possessed by dwarves called, "golden eyes."

--

If only one parent of a dwarf passes on the gene then it does not manifest fully.

The lucky dwarf does however have the uncanny ability to sense the direction & relative quantity of gold close by.

--

If both the parents pass on the gene then the dwarf's eyes are born lustery gold, glowing in the dark.

True golden eyed dwarves can detect gold like those who only inherited one gene.

Unfortunately true golden eyed dwarves are psychically overwhelmed by the presence of gold & can think of nothing else when it is near. A Physical Complication that can not be overcome by EGO.

A few years ago, I returned to college to get my degree, and though I did not go to school for the purpose of becoming a better gamer, a lot of the classes I have taken has affected my campaign design and character creation.  I would go into further detail, but my education is still ongoing and I have a paper to write; so, I don't have time right now.  I will give examples in a few days.