The Jolrhos Field Guide

Christopher R Taylor

On 4/11/2019 at 7:54 PM, Christopher R Taylor said:

You can help design the cover for the Jolrhos Field Guide!  Navigate over to the Kestrel Arts facebook page and check out this link.  There you can look at the art I'm considering for the cover and let me know which one(s) you prefer.  Also, you can like and follow my page so you can get updates, info, and interesting bits as I work.

The link you posted takes me back to this same forum page.

I rather like that one for a Field Guide.

Yeah, it's not as fantastic as the others (the bazaar was my favorite just as "art," but there's something about the guy (Santa?!) pouring over his pile of tomes, studying at his desk--

just seems like he's hard at work compiling a field guide or something....

56624594_2337285323002738_4872570801661935616_o.jpg

I want to thank everyone for their patience with this project, its been years I have worked on it and been trying to promote and keep people interested.  I know that its tough to keep interest up in a product line when its so long between updates and releases.  I hope to have another out by the end of the year (a adventure module) and the following year I'll be working on putting out the Players Guide for making characters and play in the world.  Then next on the agenda is another adventure, and then the Master Guide for running games in the Jolrhos setting.  Down the road are a treasure book and another volume of the bestiary planned for release.  I hope I can get these all done, and done in a timely manner.  When its all said and done, people will have a complete campaign setting with adventures to play in it ready to pick up and run with.

Somewhere in the mix I want to get that Champions Begins project done and a Fantasy Hero Begins one as well.  Thankfully unlike the Jolrhos setting, other people can pitch in and help with writing and building those.

1 hour ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

The Jolrhos Field Guide has been approved and should be on the shelf soon for purchase and download!  The print version will be available as soon as I can get a proof copy and look it over.  Look for it on Lulu and Amazon.

Congrats, I'm looking forward to getting my hands on a physical copy.

On 4/16/2016 at 6:24 PM, Christopher R Taylor said:

Further, at the beginning of each phase while blinded, before moving,  the target must make a Constitution Roll at -1 for each additional segment of blindness they are suffering from (so if a character has 3 segments of blindness, they must make CON roll at -3).  Failing this CON roll means they are stunned and must recover as normal that phase, taking no other action.

Mechanically, was this done as a variation of Change Environment?

I didn't actually build any of this stuff in the rules, although it would be simple enough to do.  I just list the effects and how to use them, details on where they are found, etc. 

I know, Hero heresy but the focus in this book is details for running a game rather than how to make things.

36 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

I didn't actually build any of this stuff in the rules, although it would be simple enough to do.  I just list the effects and how to use them, details on where they are found, etc. 

I know, Hero heresy but the focus in this book is details for running a game rather than how to make things.

That's just fine.  This is just part of my quest to further pin down what you can and can't do with Change Environment.

Based on the scant examples I've basically used it in my campaigns for a variety of effects that are Make a Stat Roll at minus X or suffer some effect that is roughly equivalent to being 1/2 OCV/DCV or losing your turn.

And its live!

Kestrel Arts is proud to announce that the Jolrhos Field Guide is available for purchase and download at the Hero Games store!

Print versions will be available soon as well.  I'm having some trouble with my POD printer, so as soon as I can get that worked out I will post an update here.

Problems worked out. The paperback version will be available on Amazon.com soon.  You can get a hardback print version at Lulu, here!

• 2 months later...

I'm thinking about splitting the Field Guide into 3 smaller books for sale as well as the full guide, for people who only want the parts.  

Worldbook: structure and features of the Jolrhos world setting

Resource Book: critters, herbs, poisons, plants, metals, etc

Tradebook: trades you can use to work metal, alchemy, leather, and so on

It wouldn't take a lot or work to put out pdfs of each section, just some renumbering and indexing, and a cover.  I'm just not sure there's interest enough to justify the couple days of effort.