Combined/Multiple Attacks

Hugh Neilson

Question

Steve, I'm following on your response about the "two weapons as gear" being a MPA, but two weapons bought with points being a Combined Attack. This seems a pretty confusing issue.

Let's assume Burly Bob has STR 25, 4 sill levels with Blades and a knife which does 1/2d6 HKA, up to 1d6+1 with STR as the doubling cap is in effect. Bob applies his levels to damage. He winds up and throws his best Sunday bunch on a Troll, knife in hand.

Can Burly Bob combine a Strike with the knife (1d6+1 HKA) and a Strike with his hand holding the knife (5d6 Normal Attack) as a Combined Attack?

If so, does he have to reduce his Normal strike to 4d6 since he used 4 STR to meet the STR Min of the knife? I think the rules allow STR adds to multiple attacks.

Assuming this is not permitted in a "buy gear with money" heroic game, let's assume Bob purchases a Knife as custom equipment, for points. Does he now have the option of using a Combined Attack with the knife and a normal fist strike, since he paid points for both attacks?

1 answer to this question

I see the root of the problem here. It's not that the rules are confusing, it's that I wasn't paying close enough attention and my answer to Rhino's initial question was wrong. I have now changed it.

If you're using weapons, it's not a Combined Attack. Just to repeat something I said in another answer, so that everyone is (hopefully) clear:

What you’re describing is a Multiple Attack, not a Combined Attack. Per 6E2 73-74, Combined Attacks are for  “sing two or more powers or similar abilities[.]” That primarily refers to superpowers in Champions campaigns, but it could also apply to spells in some Fantasy campaigns, psionic powers in some Science Fiction campaigns, and so on.

Combined Attack specifically says it’s for powers or similar abilities, and not for Combat/Martial Maneuvers — and using a weapon is typically a Strike Combat Maneuver, or some Martial Maneuver. So a character making two weapon-based attacks is using Multiple Attack in its standard form.

If I've overlooked something in your question, please feel free to follow up (here or via PM) and I'll edit this answer. ;)