As I have so often on this site I’m going to go at all this from the opposite direction and take the most basic and flavorless Martial Art in the book and give it some story and style....Let’s hear it for.....Classic Comic Book!!!!
   I’m going to rename this for the real world style Marine Corps Martial Arts Program  or MCMAP.

*************************************************************************

MCMAP is the style of mixed martial art taught during Marine Boot Camp training.  It is a easy to learn mixture of Boxing, Jiu-Jitsu, Karate, Krav Maga and other styles. The entirety of the form take only 40 hrs. of combat training to achieve basic competence. While higher levels of course take much longer to master.  This style is the one taught to many Police and Security personnel around the country. It is a mix of both lethal and non-lethal maneuvers so that the Marine in the field has the options of incapacitating, killing or taking prisoners depending on the situation. 
  This style has many videos of it in use during Marine Corps demonstrations on YouTube for a more dynamic example of this form in action.  If anyone here has any disparaging remarks to make about how effective this M.A. could be, I would simply ask...How many of you would be willing to take on a Marine in a bar fight?

P.S.  In the Netflicks series The Punisher the character of Frank Castle (stuntman) uses MCMAP.  It’s pretty badass.

3 hours ago, Tjack said:

As I have so often on this site I’m going to go at all this from the opposite direction and take the most basic and flavorless Martial Art in the book and give it some story and style....Let’s hear it for.....Classic Comic Book!!!!
   I’m going to rename this for the real world style Marine Corps Martial Arts Program  or MCMAP.

*************************************************************************

MCMAP is the style of mixed martial art taught during Marine Boot Camp training.  It is a easy to learn mixture of Boxing, Jiu-Jitsu, Karate, Krav Maga and other styles. The entirety of the form take only 40 hrs. of combat training to achieve basic competence. While higher levels of course take much longer to master.  This style is the one taught to many Police and Security personnel around the country. It is a mix of both lethal and non-lethal maneuvers so that the Marine in the field has the options of incapacitating, killing or taking prisoners depending on the situation. 
  This style has many videos of it in use during Marine Corps demonstrations on YouTube for a more dynamic example of this form in action.  If anyone here has any disparaging remarks to make about how effective this M.A. could be, I would simply ask...How many of you would be willing to take on a Marine in a bar fight?

P.S.  In the Netflicks series The Punisher the character of Frank Castle (stuntman) uses MCMAP.  It’s pretty badass.

Nice but did you know that there is already Combato and Krav Maga and some other military styles.

12 minutes ago, Ninja-Bear said:

Nice but did you know that there is already Combato and Krav Maga and some other military styles.

Yes, MCMAP is the current successor to Combato and I mentioned Krav Maga as one of the Arts included in it’s creation.

KM is originally an Israeli style that Is unique to itself and recognizable as such. Classic Comic Book is a mix of many maneuvers with no regard to uniformity or a philosophical viewpoint and one that is easy for a character with no previous experience in Martial Arts to learn.  MCMAP fits those criteria.  It is taught at many law enforcement academies and is therefore easy to explain in a characters backstory.

1 hour ago, Tjack said:

Yes, MCMAP is the current successor to Combato and I mentioned Krav Maga as one of the Arts included in it’s creation.

KM is originally an Israeli style that Is unique to itself and recognizable as such. Classic Comic Book is a mix of many maneuvers with no regard to uniformity or a philosophical viewpoint and one that is easy for a character with no previous experience in Martial Arts to learn.  MCMAP fits those criteria.  It is taught at many law enforcement academies and is therefore easy to explain in a characters backstory.

My point attack is that mechanically (especially in Ninja Hero 4th) many of the styles use primarily the common martial maneuvers. That was my point about Combato and Krav Maga. 

15 minutes ago, Ninja-Bear said:

My point attack is that mechanically (especially in Ninja Hero 4th) many of the styles use primarily the common martial maneuvers. That was my point about Combato and Krav Maga. 

I believe that Krav Maga has enough unique features to be classified as its own Martial Art in a Ninja Hero type book. But this is a side issue. 
   My main point was that I found the classification “Classic Comic Book” to be too bland and did not lend itself to an easily visualizable imagery.  It also gave no handle for a player writing a character to imagine how that Character learned those skills.  That’s why I went looking for a real world style that would fit the criteria.

As I originally said I was looking at the problem from the other side.  Most of the posters on this thread had a group of maneuvers they wanted and were creating new styles to fit them.   I took an long established but meaningless title for a style already in the books and found a real world equivalent with its own history and reason for being.

My apologies Tjack, I seem to be coming off adversarial which honestly I’m not trying to be. I did good up when I mentioned Combato because I was thinking Commando and although (at least in the older editions) they share many of the same martial maneuvers, Commando doesn’t have Martial Strike. That’s not a big of deal. It might be a minor deal if the GM (or plater really) wants to keep to the list. Anyways I do think renaming generic to marine ma is a good choice.

9 minutes ago, Ninja-Bear said:

My apologies Tjack, I seem to be coming off adversarial which honestly I’m not trying to be. I did good up when I mentioned Combato because I was thinking Commando and although (at least in the older editions) they share many of the same martial maneuvers, Commando doesn’t have Martial Strike. That’s not a big of deal. It might be a minor deal if the GM (or plater really) wants to keep to the list. Anyways I do think renaming generic to marine ma is a good choice.

You’re not combative in the least. I was just enjoying a good debate.  I like the histories of different martial styles and the ways the American military has adapted different mixes of maneuvers since W.W.2 is a pet subject.  
  Have you ever seen the videos Godzilla Rex does for YouTube?  A movie stuntman and avid martial artist himself, he breaks down the different maneuvers and styles used by different characters in TV, movies and computer games. He also does point by point critiques of divergent fight scenes.  They’re very well done if that’s your thing. It certainly is mine.

20 hours ago, Tjack said:

Hero System Martial Arts (Ninja Hero for 6e) has updated things a bit. "Classic Comic Book" has been renamed, "Generic Martial Arts" and is intended for players who want their character to know martial arts maneuvers, but don't want to bother with real-world details. MCMAP is its own style (as is Krav Maga and Commando training).

8 hours ago, Tjack said:

You’re not combative in the least. I was just enjoying a good debate.  I like the histories of different martial styles and the ways the American military has adapted different mixes of maneuvers since W.W.2 is a pet subject.  
  Have you ever seen the videos Godzilla Rex does for YouTube?  A movie stuntman and avid martial artist himself, he breaks down the different maneuvers and styles used by different characters in TV, movies and computer games. He also does point by point critiques of divergent fight scenes.  They’re very well done if that’s your thing. It certainly is mine.

No I haven’t seen him but I’ll have to check him out.  I have a collection of various martial art books. At one time I snagged a military training book that was on-line that was linked to a Judo site. I honestly don’t know if it was 100 percent legit but a kid I knew at the time scoffed until he checked it out-he was military-and said it was. Iirc it was for the LINE system they had at the time.  Ever watch WWI training videos?

1 hour ago, Ninja-Bear said:

No I haven’t seen him but I’ll have to check him out.  I have a collection of various martial art books. At one time I snagged a military training book that was on-line that was linked to a Judo site. I honestly don’t know if it was 100 percent legit but a kid I knew at the time scoffed until he checked it out-he was military-and said it was. Iirc it was for the LINE system they had at the time.  Ever watch WWI training videos?

I haven’t seen any WW 1 films but the WW2 ones with Rex Fairbairn are interesting.

Edited by Tjack
Damn Spellcheck

2 hours ago, IndianaJoe3 said:

Hero System Martial Arts (Ninja Hero for 6e) has updated things a bit. "Classic Comic Book" has been renamed, "Generic Martial Arts" and is intended for players who want their character to know martial arts maneuvers, but don't want to bother with real-world details. MCMAP is its own style (as is Krav Maga and Commando training).

No, I hadn’t seen that.  Frankly my Champion’s book buying days stopped during the “Big Blue Book” era.  Only recently have I purchased 6th Edition.  I always liked CCB as a set of maneuvers myself.  I used to refer to it as “the big five” and bought them for most every character.  I just felt it was a little bland next to the detailed backgrounds and philosophies of the other styles. 

13 minutes ago, Ninja-Bear said:

@GhostDancer for you happen to know of any books that go over that old king fu movies? Especially one that may deal with any invented weapons? I think that would be a neat read and resource.

What are you looking for that isn’t covered by Ninja Hero?   If you’re talking about the Shaw Bros. Hong Kong films of the ‘60’s & ‘70’s you may also want to check out the appropriate sections in Danger: International. They mostly used the basic five forms of Kung-Fu.  Tiger, Mantis, Monkey, Serpent and Dragon. (What no Panda Style!?!)

BTW;  I saw Shang-Chi this morning.  Good stuff for this conversation.

4 hours ago, Ninja-Bear said:

@GhostDancer for you happen to know of any books that go over that old king fu movies? Especially one that may deal with any invented weapons? I think that would be a neat read and resource.

Let's try these! Y'all critique them for us, please.

Martial arts movies / by Jim Ollhoff

Thumbnail
Chasing dragons : an introduction to the martial arts film / David West

The encyclopedia of martial arts movies / Bill Palmer, Karen Palmer, and Ric Meyers

Films of fury : the kung fu movie book / by Ric Meyers

Muhyŏp ŭi sidae : 1966~1976 / Song Hŭi-bok chiŭm

Affekt und Zitat : zur Ästhetik des Martial-Arts-Films / Tim Trausch

424 pages : 62 photos ; 

Thesis (doctoral)--Universität zu Köln, 2017.

4 hours ago, Tjack said:

What are you looking for that isn’t covered by Ninja Hero?   If you’re talking about the Shaw Bros. Hong Kong films of the ‘60’s & ‘70’s you may also want to check out the appropriate sections in Danger: International. They mostly used the basic five forms of Kung-Fu.  Tiger, Mantis, Monkey, Serpent and Dragon. (What no Panda Style!?!)

BTW;  I saw Shang-Chi this morning.  Good stuff for this conversation.

Oh Ninja Hero has a lot however what I was looking for was a book that maybe detailed the fantastical martial art weapons. For example in 9 Venoms, the one bad guy used a shield(!) and what looked like a double head short stick. It was probably about a foot long and had looked like spear heads, one on each end. Is that a real weapon or made for the movie ? Obviously certain weapons in the very chop sockey are made up-like the Flying Dragons which is a pair or swords that the villain can control and have them continually fly about him.

I saw Shang-Chi a while ago with the boys and we enjoyed it and I created a Hero with the 10 Rings.

25 minutes ago, Tjack said:

If a weapon was designed for a particular book or video game you may need to go to source material for info on it.  I always thought the blade tonfa the Nazi assassin used in the first Hellboy movie was cool beyond words. 

Yeah, but I think you missed my point. I would like a book that points out the crazy martial art weapons and if they’re real or fictional from the movies.

Nope, I never ran or played in a straight MA campaign before, I’ve just had Martial Artists of different types in every genre of campaign I’ve ever run.
    Batman crossed with Kwai Chiang Kane types, 1930’s “I spent time in the Orient” adventurers, Secret Agent Man types,  a far future one where somebody tried doing LSH’s Karate Kid, Chuin- Master of Sinanju (Written up using no Mart. Maneuvers, only Powers)

etc.

On top of all that research, I’ve always been a fan of both good and bad Kung-Fu movies and the real life history of those Arts.

18 hours ago, Ninja-Bear said:

Yeah, but I think you missed my point. I would like a book that points out the crazy martial art weapons and if they’re real or fictional from the movies.

You might have to make do with a book of real world Asian weapons.