• 2 weeks later...

I just watched the Legendary Weapons of China. It was a weird movie with some magic and martial arts. However it had a cool opening scene with several unique Chinese weapons. Also the final fight scene had a cool scene with Butterfly sword (they translated differently) and SHIELD! How often do you see a shield in a martial arts movie? And why are they never stated up in the martial arts game books?

On 3/29/2020 at 1:12 PM, Ninja-Bear said:

I just watched the Legendary Weapons of China. It was a weird movie with some magic and martial arts. However it had a cool opening scene with several unique Chinese weapons. Also the final fight scene had a cool scene with Butterfly sword (they translated differently) and SHIELD! How often do you see a shield in a martial arts movie? And why are they never stated up in the martial arts game books?

I think they're in Fantasy HERO, that's why.  Although I think a lot of the weapons are in the HSEG.

On 5/15/2016 at 3:17 PM, GhostDancer said:

Here, by our splendid steriaca, is

Video Game Martial Arts

Maneuver      Phs      Pts      OCV      DCV      Damage/Effect

Air Block       1/2          5        +0          +0         Block, Abort, FMove
Air Grab And Throw
                     1/2          3         -1           -1         STR+v/5 Strike, Target Falls, FMove
Beta Counter 1/2         4         +2         +2         STR+2d6 Strike, Must Follow Block/Turtling 1/2 4 +2 +2 Block, Abort
Crush/Thrash 1/2        4         +0         +0         STR+4d6 Strike, Must Follow Grab
Dodge            1/2        4           -          +5         Dodge, Abort
Grab               1/2        3         -1          -1         Grab Two Limbs, +10 STR To Hold On
Hard Attack    1/2        5         -2         +1         STR+4d6 Strike
Jumping Attack 1/2     5        +1         +0         STR+v/5, Target Falls, FMove
Legsweep      1/2        3        +2         +1         STR+1d6 Strike, Target Falls
Light Attack   1/2         5        +1         +3         STR Strike
Medium Attack 1/2      3        +1         +0         STR+2d6 Strike
Sidestep        1/2         5          -          +4         Dodge, Abort, FMove
Throw           1/2          3       +0          +1         STR+v/5, Target Falls
Turtling         1/2          3       +1          +3         Block, Abort, Must Follow Block

Skills:
*Breakfall
Acrobatics

Note: No Style Disadvantages

Video Game Style Martial Arts is a generic name for a martial art style based on fighting video games. There is no Style Disadvantage, and no real Knowledge Skill required.

Substyles:

Capcom-Fu:
Required Maneuvers: Block, Grab, Hard Attack, Legsweep, Light Attack, Medium Attack, Throw.
Advanced Maneuvers: Air Block, Air Grab And Throw, Beta Counter, Crush/Thrash, Jumping Attack, Turtling.

SNK-Fu:
Required Maneuvers: Block, Grab, Hard Attack, Legsweep, Light Attack, Throw.
Advanced Maneuvers: Air Grab And Throw, Crush/Thrash, Jumping Attack, Turtling.

Tekkalibur:
Required Maneuvers: Block, Grab, Hard Attack, Legsweep, Light Attack, Throw, Dodge, Sidestep.
Advanced Maneuvers: Crush/Thrash, Turtling.

Mortal-Fu:
Required Maneuvers: Block, Grab, Hard Attack, Legsweep, Throw.
Advanced Maneuvers: Air Grab And Throw, Crush/Thrash, Jumping Attack, Turtling, Dodge, Sidestep.

How did you balance these?  I notice that Mortal-Fu has less points than the others?

5 hours ago, grandmastergm said:

How did you balance these?  I notice that Mortal-Fu has less points than the others?

I didn't balance them at all. I just use the buy ability of Ninja Hero, Ultimate Martial Artist, Hero System Martial Arts. The ballance was done for me via how many points it is required to buy a single maneuver. 

10 minutes ago, steriaca said:

I didn't balance them at all. I just use the buy ability of Ninja Hero, Ultimate Martial Artist, Hero System Martial Arts. The ballance was done for me via how many points it is required to buy a single maneuver. 

I'm trying to make 400 point video game martial artists.  I'm not 100% sure about using an Endurance Reserve for the powered-up attacks.  A friend of mine used skill rolls at difficulty for players to use their powered-up attacks and I was satisfied how it worked.    What would you recommend?  What about budgeting for powers, skills/perks/talents and powers?

11 hours ago, grandmastergm said:

I'm trying to make 400 point video game martial artists.  I'm not 100% sure about using an Endurance Reserve for the powered-up attacks.  A friend of mine used skill rolls at difficulty for players to use their powered-up attacks and I was satisfied how it worked.    What would you recommend?  What about budgeting for powers, skills/perks/talents and powers?

Sounds good. Energy Reserve. Based on skill roll. Note that Jumping Attack was ment to simulate all those rushing special attacks, both ground and air based.

• 3 months later...
On 2/28/2020 at 8:21 AM, Ninja-Bear said:

Ghost dancer or any one else, do you remember on the old forums when it had links, there was a martial art site for hero games. It was set in ancient China. Wracking my brain out for the name of it. If I could remember it, I was going to check Wayback machine to see if I could look at it again.

Could this be what you were thinking of ? Wu-Xia HERO

• 1 month later...

Oh, okay. Sengoku is set in Japan, which is why when you asked for China I referred to the other site.

This is all that's left of Mark Doherty's great Sengoku website on the Internet Archive: https://web.archive.org/web/20070328090811/http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Castle/9529/Gaming_stuff/Sengoku/sengoku_front_page.html

Did you find another site, or a more complete version of this one?

1 hour ago, Lord Liaden said:

Oh, okay. Sengoku is set in Japan, which is why when you asked for China I referred to the other site.

This is all that's left of Mark Doherty's great Sengoku website on the Internet Archive: https://web.archive.org/web/20070328090811/http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Castle/9529/Gaming_stuff/Sengoku/sengoku_front_page.html

Did you find another site, or a more complete version of this one?

Not sure. However the reason I thought of It being Chinese is that the Worley has Chinese soldiers write ups. That’s what I remembered.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

In the comics, Iron Fist often struck two goons simultaneously. As such, I would build him with 2 Penalty Skill Levels with K'un Lun Kung Fu. He could use these levels to decrease his OCV and/or DCV penalty for certain Sweep Attacks, or decrease the penalty for a called shot. For example: Iron Fist has learned that Shu-Hu ("Lightning") is superhumanly tough. Therefore, he gathers his chi. His fist glows. He uses a high shot strike with both PSLs* to reduce the hit location penalty to zero.

*Pumpkin Spice Lattes

Marvel-Premiere-19-01.0.jpg

• 6 months later...

spacer.pngChallenge: choose and share at least 10 points of Manuevers for Taiho-jutsu (arresting art) (逮捕術), a term for Japanese police martial arts with selected techniques from modern disciplines, such as jujutsu, karate-jutsu, kendo, and judo, and further ideas gained from a study of Western boxing. Weapon Familiarities include short staff or jō, keijojutsu, which is still used by the Japanese riot police (although the staff used is somewhat heftier than that used in jodo), and keibo, a short police baton, in a range of techniques called Keibo-soho, as well as the extending tubular baton (Tokushu Keibo) which was adopted by the Japanese police in 1966.