Ok, @Ghost Dancer off the top of my head:

Offensive Disarm (it has better chance to hit)

Basic Strike

Martial Grab (one handed joint kicks might be more realistic but they’re more a pain in game)

Legsweep (as just a take down)

Ooh just thought of this custom maneuver;

Control: +0 OCV +2 DCV  +10 STR for Control (as in Grab and Control) Must Follow Grab

Hows that for a start?

• 4 weeks later...

How would you build the Roman weapon called a pilum? It was a spear with a soft iron shank.

main-qimg-d118f0ba68e94cb214653c1129253b1f.webp

When thrown the shank would bend on impact making it impossible for the enemy to throw it back with any degree of accuracy without straightening the shank first which required the use of a black smith. While the idea was not to kill the enemy soldier, it was mainly to strip them of their shields and make them more vulnerable during close quarters fighting. For, whenever a pilum hit an enemy shield it wold penetrate it and bend, making it pretty much impossible for the enemy to pull it out and if the Roman soldier was lucky he could pin two of their shields together thus crippling both men unless they lost their shields and thus their protection.

50 minutes ago, GhostDancer said:

How would you build the Roman weapon called a pilum? It was a spear with a soft iron shank.

When thrown the shank would bend on impact making it impossible for the enemy to throw it back with any degree of accuracy without straightening the shank first which required the use of a black smith. While the idea was not to kill the enemy soldier, it was mainly to strip them of their shields and make them more vulnerable during close quarters fighting. For, whenever a pilum hit an enemy shield it wold penetrate it and bend, making it pretty much impossible for the enemy to pull it out and if the Roman soldier was lucky he could pin two of their shields together thus crippling both men unless they lost their shields and thus their protection.

There was a thread not too long again in Fantasy which people were talking about this very thing. I can’t remember the thread’s name. Being Hero, there are several ways to do this.

First thing that comes to mind is Dispel-Break Item.

Second I would think would be build it as a Spear but then have extra HKA only for Breaking Shields. Naturally I would be invoking Breaking weapon/shield for this rule.

57 minutes ago, GhostDancer said:

In general, it sounds like a two slot Multipower. One is a Hand-To-Hand Attack. The second one is a Dispel against shields.

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, GhostDancer said:

That would be sweet. I suspect it would have the potential to sell better than setting books, among others. Are Kato, Sun Wukong, Zhu Bajie, Sha Wujing, and the dragon prince Martial Arts Companions? 😉

spacer.png

Companion is saying that it is a supplement book, and that your going to need the original HERO System Martial Arts book to use this one. Not that it is a book of martial arts sidekick characters.

Basically new martial art styles. New martial arts powers. New weapons. Maybe if there is some room new characters and "campaign in one page" pages.

Oh, and perhaps we can have a writeup of Son Wukong in it. I mean he is the bleeping Monkey King. The Sage Approaching Heaven.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

#Repost @humansofmartialarts
(2 of 2) “I observed him bowing and greeting very nicely to the older sensei’s as they arrived, who were Asians. l decided to approach one older Japanese man because I thought he might be a person with a higher position in that club and hopefully could give me some better information. He was very polite and kind. He advised me to talk to a Korean fellow who was one of the instructors. He was standing with the Caucasian man who I had just talked to. 

The Korean man was polite and asked me general information, like did I have any experience in kendo. 
So, through the conversation, they found out that I am originally from Japan, that I was trained in Japan, and that I passed my gradings in Japan. At this very moment, this Caucasian man said, "Oh, why didn't you say so?" I could not believe how much his attitude changed in a second! 

As we were talking, one university student came up to him (a Caucasian student), and asked if there were any openings in the beginners class. Of course, he was choppy and gave him very minimal information and tried to get back in conversation with me by saying, "So, did you bring your Bogu? I have to learn some of your techniques from you…" It made me feel sick to my stomach.

I watched him practice kendo with the others. He was trying to show off and show how much better he was than everyone else. I am sure he has a higher rank than me and maybe with a title in this club.  But this was not true Japanese Budo spirit. It was very sad.

[The values important in Kendo are] modesty, patience, and quiet wisdom. These might not be noticeable immediately, but I think these are very important. Your true character is reflected in your attitude…”

Tong Sensei’s notes:
“A very important issue here. Technical prowess, no matter how talented or skilled, does not make up for deficiency in character. Recall the sixth article on the purpose of kendo as outlined by the All Japan Kendo Federation: “And to forever pursue the cultivation of oneself.” So, the higher purpose of Kendo is not to kill as many opponents as possible. Instead, it is, as Kajitsuka Sensei says, “to grow a soul”.”

#kendo #kendoka #budo #rei #samurai #kendolife #bushido