I just watched Evil Destroyer on Tubi. This one is interesting because it’s modern but no firearms. There are some Western Opium dealers that are bad but a (I would assume Catholic) Kung Fu fighting priest! A small scene with hopping corpses and clown ninjas! That one was painful to watch.

This movie though highlights what I would like to do in a game. Namely, not worry about accuracy and throw the kitchen sink into a Wild MA game.  

• 4 weeks later...

I watched Deadly Silver Spear. I liked it. It has some unique and varied fight such as the underwater fight. What struck me the most is that with most Kung Fu movies i have watched the fight scenes can drag on and to represent THAT in Hero is well, frightening. This movie had Kung Fu fights that seemed that would work well in Hero System. 

Also forgot that Deadly Silver Spear has traps in the movie too.  I’ve also watched two other movies though not strictly martial arts, The Triumph of Hercules and Hercules against the Moon Men. I like some of the fight scenes. There has to be a decently easy way to emulate a fighter attacking two goons at once. 

On 1/3/2022 at 4:37 AM, Ninja-Bear said:

Also forgot that Deadly Silver Spear has traps in the movie too.  I’ve also watched two other movies though not strictly martial arts, The Triumph of Hercules and Hercules against the Moon Men. I like some of the fight scenes. There has to be a decently easy way to emulate a fighter attacking two goons at once. 

Who is to say they aren't Martial Arts films? You remember that Greece is the home of Greco Roman Wrestling and Pancration (sp!) after all. 

• 2 months later...
On 1/1/2022 at 12:26 PM, Ninja-Bear said:

I forgot to mention that one of the killers has an eye patch. Now the line in the movie is great for building a character that has an eye patch as a DF but NOT for Phy Comp. It goes something like though he lost an eye now, his aim is as true as ever.

Also called “The Nick Fury Effect”.

• 1 month later...
On 1/3/2022 at 5:37 AM, Ninja-Bear said:

. There has to be a decently easy way to emulate a fighter attacking two goons at once. 

Were I not touch screen typing on a phone sans glasses, I would offer my mook rules for you.  They are similar to what became the sweep rules eventually (and to note that, I renamed it "mook sweep" around the turn od the century.   

Very wordy to explain, but very simpke in execution.  Skip over to Vhris's unofficial board; I posted them there for Doc Democracy some time back when he was looking for ideas on speeding up combat with henchmen and the like.

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Ninja-Bear said:

I believe that Iaijutsu is already defined as Fast Draw.

16 hours ago, tkdguy said:

True, but that always seemed to be oversimplifying the art, especially since there are several Iaido styles around.

It might be oversimplifying, but the distinctions may be too small to matter when playing Hero. If you want to make a distinction, perhaps there are penalties to a Fast Draw roll in specific situations, and different iaijutsu styles would offer PSLs negating them?

1 hour ago, IndianaJoe3 said:

It might be oversimplifying, but the distinctions may be too small to matter when playing Hero. If you want to make a distinction, perhaps there are penalties to a Fast Draw roll in specific situations, and different iaijutsu styles would offer PSLs negating them?

Depending on the game, Fast Draw probably cover it. That’s why I’m asking for more info TKDguy. If he wants more nuance to his Iaijitsu, I’ll try to help but I need more info as to what he wants to accomplish.

1 hour ago, L. Marcus said:

... Interesting. I am reminded of Takeshi Kitano's Zatoichi, where different quick draws play a role ...

I know that’s a classic but I have yet to watch one.

3 hours ago, Ninja-Bear said:

@tkdguy, what are you specifically trying to emulate with the different styles? I’m sure there is a a way to distinguish them in Hero terms than rather Fast Draw.

What I'm trying to do is write up a style that would be distinctive enough to separate it as its own martial art. Many koryu schools teach iai/batto in addition to Kenjutsu, but not all of them do. Also, there are several Iaido styles like Eishin Ryu and Muso Shinden Ryu that are taught today that have their own flavor. Kendo and Iaido are considered separate martial arts (although they're both governed by the same federation). Batto-do is governed by a different federation.

Maybe I'm just splitting hairs. I can see writing up a style using the Iaijutsu skill and select maneuvers. I have only had a couple of lessons in Eishin Ryu, so I'm not confident about accurately writing it up in HERO terms.