bigbywolfe

For some reason I was under the impression that when you used a shield's DCV value as OCV to Block it functioned only as OCV.  Essentially since you were actively using the shield as OCV you lost the passive DCV it offered. 
Now I just read a combat example that counted the shield for OCV in a Block and still counted in the character's DCV at the same time.

Have I had this wrong in my head this whole time?  Or is the combat example incorrect?

For some reason I was under the impression that when you used a shield's DCV value as OCV to Block it functioned only as OCV. Essentially since you were actively using the shield as OCV you lost the passive DCV it offered.

Now I just read a combat example that counted the shield for OCV in a Block and still counted in the character's DCV at the same time.

Have I had this wrong in my head this whole time? Or is the combat example incorrect?

I have always played that the phase in which you use the shield to block, you lose its DCV bonus.

The bonus from a shield is Combat Skill Levels on a focus. CSLs can only be used in one way from phase to phase.

It depends on how the shield is modeled. Often times they are modeled as Mulltipowers. If so then generally the slots are fixed and the AP is such that you would lose the DCV or +HA when you used the OCV for block.

Not a dumb question at all, if there even is such a thing. =)

- E

For me its an either/or thing, because of how its used.  If you're blocking with a shield, you're actively using it to interpose against a specific attack.  If you're using it for DCV, you're using it to make it harder to hit you because of its coverage.  Its not going to work to try to do both at the same time.

Except that a Martial Block provides a +2 OCV & +2 DCV Bonus when used. I could see possibly Limiting the DCV bonus for the shield to only work vs. target of the Block. However, that is more bookkeeping.

HM

Many Martial Maneuvers add to both OCV and DCV though.

It depends on how the shield is modeled. Often times they are modeled as Mulltipowers. If so then generally the slots are fixed and the AP is such that you would lose the DCV or +HA when you used the OCV for block.

Not a dumb question at all, if there even is such a thing. =)

- E

The shields out of the Fantasy Hero book are CSLs on a Focus. That is the build I was referring to.

The shields out of the Fantasy Hero book are CSLs on a Focus. That is the build I was referring to.

Same here?

FH6e, 226

In game terms, a shield is bought as a two-slot Multipower. The first slot provides bonuses to DCV, bought as DCV Levels with the OAF (-1), Real Armor (-¼), Mass (Normal Mass; -1), and STR Minimum Limitations. <snip>  The second slot allows the character to perform a “shield bash” maneuver.