A Game of Numbers

Starlord

It is amazing how many kids generate answers off by a factor of 9.86.

That's a factor of pi squared, and it comes from NOT USING YOUR FRICKIN CALCULATOR CORRECTLY AND FORGETTING THE PARENS YOU NEED AROUND the 4 AND THE PI WHEN YOU HAVE 4 PI IN THE DENOMINATOR.

(And ... I won't do more than point out that if you actually did algebra, a lot of those pi's would cancel out before you keyed them in at all.  Makes me want to draft an army of Sister Caligula nuns to whack kids' hands when they reach for the calculator before actually reading the problem and thinking at all.)

... Since "market forces" and LAZY-A$$ MATH INSTRUCTION MEANS EVERYONE BUYS AND "USES" THOSE RETARDED ALGEBRAIC CALCULATORS instead of the RPN kind where it "just works" and you don't ever need parens.

But NOOOOO ... That's too hard for their poor mathphobic little so-called brains nurtured through elementary school so carefully by the little mathphobic education majors carefully trying to ingrain their mathphobic attitudes into every student so they feel like leaders.

And ... Get Offa My Lawn, you innumerate slacker wastrels!!

The calculator of choice among students (and math teachers) at my high school is the TI n-spire. I had to outlaw its use during tests after one student showed me how he had typed all the text from Chapter 3 into the memory.

Maybe we should go back to slide rules.

That's what the Archfiend made "Derive the formula for ..." questions without numbers for.

See the YouTube item titled "Hitler Takes the AP Physics Test".  Show it to your classes.  Then ask them, in predjudiced, harsh tones worthy of judges at Nuremburg handing down "Execution by hanging" sentences: "How many of you are just like Hitler now?!?"

• 1 month later...

Let's see, the strongest correlation here is between enrollment in this class and calendar year.  Looks like it'll drop to zero in about 2025, if you believe it, which I don't.  And even if it happens, I should be retired by then and will officially Not Care.

• 4 weeks later...