Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pariah

Marvel's Latest WTF?! Moment

Have we all seen this newest bit of nonsense now?

'Captain America' twist stuns comic book world

For those who haven't seen it yet, it can be summarized in one picture (Spoilered for size):

t2kwtnsxpebeay5nrnu2.png

That's right, Steve Rogers has been a Hydra sleeper all along.

The Powers That Be at Marvel, Inc. solemnly swear that this isn't a gimmick, a retcon, or a marketing ploy.  It's the real, never-before-revealed history of their flagship character.

Yeah, sure.

Cause for concern? Worry? Hatred of Marvel and its entire empire? Well, maybe not.

Everyone, Please Stop Freaking Out About That Ridiculous Captain America Reveal

Still a stupid move, though. YMMV

Same fecal matter, different day. I'm sure this event will go over as well as previous shocking revelations such as:

Thankfully, the MCU usually filters and edits these idiotic plot lines into something better than the source material. I think I'll wait for the movie.

My prediction:

They "Winter Soldier" Captain America by claiming his deep freeze caused him to forget his programming. He struggles to decide which identity is real and eventually decides to be the hero despite his "dark" origins.

Same fecal matter, different day. I'm sure this event will go over as well as previous shocking revelations such as:

Thankfully, the MCU usually filters and edits these idiotic plot lines into something better than the source material. I think I'll wait for the movie.

My prediction: They "Winter Soldier" Captain America by claiming his deep freeze caused him to forget his programming. He struggles to decide which identity is real and eventually decides to be the hero despite his "dark" origins.

Well, you see, Captain America/Steve Rogers is  the epitome of a New Deal American. A victim of the Great Depression, he looks to the ideals of the Republic to restore it to social (and economic) health. Progress is possible without sacrificing the liberties on which America is founded. You can have a (progressive) income tax and the Bill of Rights, etc.

Whereas HYDRA is, in this incarnation, a sort of non-anti-semitic version of the Bund or KKK: a response to the Great Depression that calls for saving the Republic by  hatin' more people --and then doing something about the hatin', which presumably involves paying rich people to oppress them more. (Scapegoats to be named later.)

So it's like chocolate and peanut butter --two great tastes that go great together!

Or, uhm, actually, on second thought, that's a terrible analogy. It's more like matter and anti-matter: two things that only a moron or an editor-in-chief would put in the same solar system.

Though if this turns out to be Ultimate Captain "Do you think this A stands for France" America, that would be a giggle. As long as we don't get into the later Ultimate stuff, where bad-fascist Captain America was sometimes set up to be the sane point of view. (Though in an obviously wrong way, given that there's nothing wrong with death murder cannibalism death kill incest murder cannibalism incest death.) 

I find #GiveCaptainAmericaABoyfriend completely inoffensive compared to retconning Cap to be a Hydra sleeper agent.

I find the first well intentioned but not well thought out bordering on stupid. Cap being a Hydra sleeper agent? Offensive and PROFOUNDLY stupid

I swear, it's almost as if Marvel decided DC's Rebirth talk this week was getting too much attention (for good or ill) and pulled this #### just get the limelight back

Given all the Thor/Loki slash that came after Avengers the #GiveCapABoyfriend calls are nothing new.

...and It could work. 

Steve's relationships have been pretty tepid (save for Diamondback I loved that pairing) and being a closeted gay man in the 40's is highly likely. 

Not saying I'm down for it - but it would be an easier sell for me than he was a nazi the whole time. 

Captain America, Iron Man, Green Lantern: the superheros who can be gay no problem. (With Wonder Woman, the main objection is that she's just too on-the-nose. Like, what else you got?) (Reed and Ben, you've got to deal with Alicia, and you lose Namor as a possibility, because it means that no only are he and Sue a thing, but they have two kids.) Weirdly enough, the one where you just can't go there is the one who originates the whole line of thinking: Batman and Robin. Because, just yuck. Though with the heat that the Bruce/Selena pairing has generated in recent years, that's no great loss. 

At the expense of privileging live action over four-colour, which super-couple in the media today has more chemistry right now than Steve Rogers and Bucky?

At the expense of privileging live action over four-colour, which super-couple in the media today has more chemistry right now than Steve Rogers and Bucky?

Yeah, Sam and Bucky getting excited to watch Steve kiss a girl ;)

The Voyeur community will be thrilled to have representation at last :D

The only way that Marvel will stop pulling this sh!t is when people stop buying the comics. In large numbers. If 20 people cancel their subs they couldn't care less. But when 20,000 do then they get interested in a hurry.  

So stop thinking "Oh it will get better. I'll just stick it out until it does." Cancel your subs, all of them. Organize people you know who are comic readers and get them to cancel. And their friends, and their friends, and so on. Pretty soon you've got a grass roots protest that's costing Marvel low five figures or more a month in lost sales. Write them and let them know why you've cancelled. That you were a loyal reader of 10 to 15 titles a month but now you've cancelled everything and this is why.

And don't go buying them off the rack! Marvel is a business, all they care about is their cash flow. So hit them in the wallet. It's the only place they'll feel it or respect it.

:rofl: Master level fan trolling.

It could actually be an incredibly cool story line, in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing. In the hands of a hack... not so much. Obviously it should ultimately more or less restore the classic set up.

I could see it working. The main thing is to avoid doing permanent damage to the idea of the character.

See: Hall Jordan goes mad and kills everyone, Hank Pym is a violent abusive jerk, etc.

Ok How long ago did they kill Steve? And then Made him Old? I swear the half-life of these big changes is being numbered in weeks. Or time is going too fast for my old brain to comprehend.

I remember when the killing part happened, although I've never read it. It was at the end of Civil War. That was quite a while ago now.

I have to say that Marvel doing stoopid stuff like this makes me more comfortable with sticking to my three remaining DC titles. Speaking of which, I should go into town and pick one of them up from the comics shop. It's the last issue. :(

So that's two DC titles now, and no Marvel.