How to Create a Drone within Hero?

Amorkca

A 'very' mobile perception point.  Probably too mobile.

Much as I'm wary of Summon I'd think this is a case where the cost savings it provides makes the intended effect more viable.

If it was meant to always be hanging around it would be a follower automaton with a computer. With GM permission you could apply disadvantages to the follower cost to reflect being a 'gadget' (a focus of some sort to represent a remote control, etc). Since summon is messy for things that don't wander off or have free will  a GM might, with extreme thought, allow you to put Follower in the gadget pool instead.  With a really, really, really big flashing stop sign.  

I've allowed a player to do it with Vehicle to allow them to build vehicles appropriate to what they were doing without thinking ahead and buying "x multiples' on vehicle.  If the team needed a sub she could build a sub rather than having a batcave somewhere with the batplane, batmobile, and batboat parked waiting for the day she needs one.

The gadgeteer in my Champions campaign has her drone (really, an ROV) as Clairsentience with a mobile perception point, and low-STR TK with enough extra range to match or exceed the range of the Clairsentience, to represent little waldo arms.  If she wants to arm it, she can add an attack power with Indirect.

For example, in a Gadget Pool with 45 Control, 45 Pool:

• Dual Drones (camera/mic):  Clairsentience (Sight Group and Normal Hearing, 440m range), 2 Mobile Perception Points, Half END (+1/4); OAF (-1), Flashed by Radio as well as Sight and Hearing (-1/4), Drones start at her location or where last shut down / placed manually (-1/2).  AP 44, RP 16, 1 END
  • Drone Waldoes:  Telekinesis 6 STR, Fine Manipulation, Increased Max Range (720m; +3/4), 0 END (+1/2); OAF (-1), Only at location of Dual Drones (-1/2).  AP 43, RP 17, 0 END
  • Drone Tranq Dart Gun:  Blast 2d6, NND (Hardened rPD; +1), Indirect (+1/2), Increased Max Range (400m; +1/2); OAF (-1), 8 Charges (-1/2).  AP 30, RP 12, 0 END (8 charges)

You can replace the Tranq Dart Gun with a Tazer (same basic writeup, but replace the NND defense with Insulated or Hardened rED).

A 'very' mobile perception point.  Probably too mobile.

Much as I'm wary of Summon I'd think this is a case where the cost savings it provides makes the intended effect more viable.

If it was meant to always be hanging around it would be a follower automaton with a computer. With GM permission you could apply disadvantages to the follower cost to reflect being a 'gadget' (a focus of some sort to represent a remote control, etc). Since summon is messy for things that don't wander off or have free will  a GM might, with extreme thought, allow you to put Follower in the gadget pool instead.  With a really, really, really big flashing stop sign.  

I've allowed a player to do it with Vehicle to allow them to build vehicles appropriate to what they were doing without thinking ahead and buying "x multiples' on vehicle.  If the team needed a sub she could build a sub rather than having a batcave somewhere with the batplane, batmobile, and batboat parked waiting for the day she needs one

Why the "With a really, really, really big flashing stop sign".  The cost is cheaper, true.  However it seems to me that the cost saving on Summon from lims would balance that out.  YMMV

The gadgeteer in my Champions campaign has her drone (really, an ROV) as Clairsentience with a mobile perception point, and low-STR TK with enough extra range to match or exceed the range of the Clairsentience, to represent little waldo arms.  If she wants to arm it, she can add an attack power with Indirect.

For example, in a Gadget Pool with 45 Control, 45 Pool:

• Dual Drones (camera/mic):  Clairsentience (Sight Group and Normal Hearing, 440m range), 2 Mobile Perception Points, Half END (+1/4); OAF (-1), Flashed by Radio as well as Sight and Hearing (-1/4), Drones start at her location or where last shut down / placed manually (-1/2).  AP 44, RP 16, 1 END
  • Drone Waldoes:  Telekinesis 6 STR, Fine Manipulation, Increased Max Range (720m; +3/4), 0 END (+1/2); OAF (-1), Only at location of Dual Drones (-1/2).  AP 43, RP 17, 0 END
  • Drone Tranq Dart Gun:  Blast 2d6, NND (Hardened rPD; +1), Indirect (+1/2), Increased Max Range (400m; +1/2); OAF (-1), 8 Charges (-1/2).  AP 30, RP 12, 0 END (8 charges)

You can replace the Tranq Dart Gun with a Tazer (same basic writeup, but replace the NND defense with Insulated or Hardened rED).

I like it. Is the  OAF on those drones to represent something physically present that can be interacted with (and supersede the rest of the rules for perception points for Clairsentience - like by default being invisible, impervious, and able to pass through solid objects)? Wouldn't Physical Manifestation be a more logical choice? 

Why the "With a really, really, really big flashing stop sign".  The cost is cheaper, true.  However it seems to me that the cost saving on Summon from lims would balance that out.  YMMV

We're specifically talking about pools so the points aren't really all that important (more important in a vpp, sure, but even then...)

Followers are infinitely more useful than summons for long term combat and support.  A follower in any kind of power pool without heavy supervision renders the summon power obsolete - and since summon itself has a stop sign anything that can beat it flat out needs a lot of thought.  Then there's the headaches of assigning a power duration to a custom Followers power in a pool - is it instant, like summon, so you switch the slot after your followers arrive and carry on? How did the followers arrive in the first place (under their own power, like an option for summon, I would say)? Etc.

The new sense modifier "Adjacent" is good for short range drones, they'll peek around corners, etc.  Longer range you'd have to use Clairsentience with a bunch of multiples on movement to make it quick enough.  Fuel charges for the batteries, if they run out.  A weird dedicated vehicle works too, but here's a more on point question:

how do you build a recorder in Hero?  A video and audio recorder?

My concern with using Eidetic Memory is this from the description:

He can remember images and other sensations which he’s studied (including written pages) with near photographic exactness.  This doesn’t mean he remembers everything that happens perfectly, or that he doesn’t forget facts over time.

Which seems to suggest its not exactly a recording so much as subjective memory, which isn't quite the same as a video and audio recording.

I like it. Is the  OAF on those drones to represent something physically present that can be interacted with (and supersede the rest of the rules for perception points for Clairsentience - like by default being invisible, impervious, and able to pass through solid objects)? Wouldn't Physical Manifestation be a more logical choice? 

Actually, I was considering the OAF as the controls / viewscreen that the gadgeteer uses to control the drones, as well as the drones themselves.  If she's entangled, she can't control the drones.  I suppose you could add Physical Manifestation as well. 

My concern with using Eidetic Memory is this from the description:

Which seems to suggest its not exactly a recording so much as subjective memory, which isn't quite the same as a video and audio recording.

"Eidetic Memory applies to all Senses, not just Sight. If a character can only remember particular types of sensations (such Visual Only, or Audio Only), he may buy his Eidetic Memory with a -1 Limitation (or -½ for only two Senses). You can build cameras, recorders, and similar devices as Eidetic Memory on a Focus." (Bolded text for emphasis) 6e1 pg113 (Champions Complete pg 40 says that Eidetic Memory gives perfect recall with no equivocation).

You know what I'd like to see is instead of having Eidetic Memory as a skill or talent, add a "memory" sense modifier into the game, so you can build that into your character.  Memory on sight = photographic recall.  That makes it a bit more a toolkit than a specific ability.  The Eidetic Memory talent could be a build based on that, maybe with an INT roll to remember specific details.

I wonder if anyone has made up a Drone as part of a gadget Pool, how would you do this?

Flight and Eidetic memory? OAF, limited range?

Any ideas are welcome

I have to ask:

Wich kind of drones?

Spydrone?

Bomb Disarm drone?

Combat Drone?

Deepsea exploration drone?

Hostile Environment drone?

Also, wich kind of control?

Realistic?

Shadowrun style rigging?

With or without autopilot?

Spydrone:

Clairsentience, Mobile, Material Manifestation or Focus

Bomb Disarm drone:

Telekinesis, Material Manifestation or Focus.

Or as a proper sheet.

Combat drone:

Proper sheet all the way

Realistic:

Prety sure there are rules to use skills through a Clairsentience/Telekinesis link.

Using the weapons of a combat drone would be a problem (can't normally target using Clairsentience).

Rigging:

Perhaps Multiform? Effectively the character becomes the drone, unable to use his original body.

Maybe APG's Possession, only willing target?

Special rule - self acting focus:

APG II has much more detailed focus rules, inlcuding rules to effectively mimik a Automaton. Originally considered for stuff like selfguiding missiles.