The State of the Rules

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can print it at the UPS store, double sided, black and white 28lb (heavy duty) paper, with clear cover and vinyl back bound for $71. Did you see the bit above where Tasha figured out it would run $150 ish if Hero did it? If that is your preference: http://www.amazon.com/Hero-System-6th-Character-Creation/dp/1583661204

This was not the cheapest I found, but I figured UPS is pretty universally available. You can actually find cheaper online and have it mailed to you.

- E

There is your answer. So if I pay (not exacatly sure) $40 for he PDF then I have to go back and deal with a seperate company and pay an additional $71 to get it printed. I don't think a lot of people are going to jump at it.

There is your answer. So if I pay (not exacatly sure) $40 for he PDF then I have to go back and deal with a seperate company and pay an additional $71 to get it printed. I don't think a lot of people are going to jump at it.

So you think they would RATHER pay $150 than $111 and not get the PDF???

- E

Seconded with Ninja Bear. The 6E book on Amazon used is 145$ in US funds. I live in Canada and with the dollar not being so strong it's 188$ on top of the price of the PDF. So it's not something I'm going to spend or many Canadian fans will imo. Almost 200$ Going with the PDf and printing it is going to come up to about 143$ canadian. Again not much of a savings or worth getting in print. As for the copies of 6E2 As long as the 6E1 is out of print those copies are going to sell out very slowly. Why would I buy the PDF of one volume yet the print version of the other. Either it's either both in PDF or print for most people imo. Again has ninjabear has posted not too  many are going to want to assume the cost of printing the books imo.

So you think they would RATHER pay $150 than $111 and not get the PDF???

- E

As a consumer I'm not saving that much more imo. If I lived in the US and seeing the differences in prices 111 vs 145 used on Amazon. Chances are good I'm going to use Amazon. As I get the core book for a couple of dollars more. Now if the PDF and printing the book would be between 80-90$ then it's worth it. For 40 dollars more I can get the print version used. The extra 71 dollars to print it well I might as well just use the PDF. As I'm almost paying double the cost pf the PDF to get it printed and that's before adding in how much it will cost to bound all the pages together.  

As a consumer I'm not saving that much more imo. If I lived in the US and seeing the differences in prices 111 vs 145 used on Amazon. Chances are good I'm going to use Amazon. As I get the core book for a couple of dollars more. Now if the PDF and printing the book would be between 80-90$ then it's worth it. For 40 dollars more I can get the print version used. The extra 71 dollars to print it well I might as well just use the PDF. As I'm almost paying double the cost pf the PDF to get it printed and that's before adding in how much it will cost to bound all the pages together.  

Cool, then buy it on Amazon. But we already proved above that the book WITHOUT the PDF would cost around 150 for DOJ to print, so wish all you want but it will not be $90 with the PDF. 

And if you read what I printed above, it was $71 for a good quality print (not 20 lb), double sided and BOUND with a clear cover and vinyl back cover. Also, that was not shopping for best price, just what was likely available to everyone.

- E

Guys (edit: AND Gals, sorry), I agree that getting the 6e1 and 6e2 out there for $75-100 a piece for a hardback with color pages would be GREAT! But there is this thing called economics that is preventing it. You don't think DOJ wants to make money and that they would not jump on the opportunity if they could find a way to print the book for that and still make a reasonable profit? Try running your own business for a while. It's a bitch. Everything costs more than anticipated, takes longer, has problems that take more time or more money (or both) to solve. 

If one of you is really serious about getting it out there and want to put a million or so of venture capital behind your idea, I strongly suggest you contact them. It will be much more effective than complaining on their forums when they have already explained in detail why it currently will not happen.

- E

Guys (edit: AND Gals, sorry), I agree that getting the 6e1 and 6e2 out there for $75-100 a piece for a hardback with color pages would be GREAT! But there is this thing called economics that is preventing it. You don't think DOJ wants to make money and that they would not jump on the opportunity if they could find a way to print the book for that and still make a reasonable profit? Try running your own business for a while. It's a bitch. Everything costs more than anticipated, takes longer, has problems that take more time or more money (or both) to solve.

If one of you is really serious about getting it out there and want to put a million or so of venture capital behind your idea, I strongly suggest you contact them. It will be much more effective than complaining on their forums when they have already explained in detail why it currently will not happen.

- E

I understand Hero games is in a quandry. And Im not complaining. Im just pointing out some of the barriers that face DOJ.

No I rather pay $65 and get a hard bound copy. Im not big on PDFs. The bigger question is, is the market ready for PDFs and POD at your convinence.

I understand Hero games is in a quandry. And Im not complaining. Im just pointing out some of the barriers that face DOJ.

The first comment sounds a lot like complaining to me? There are ways to get a hardbound copy, just not at a price point you like.

And I agree, there are lots of barriers. I think considering the barriers, they are doing awesome to still be in business. That, to me, speaks volumes about whether they know how to do things correctly. 

- E

I wanted to be able to buy them in the Google Play Books store. Currently nothing of the sort is affotdable available, and nothing by Hero Games nor for the Hero System. The thing is I can always buy a Google card to download a book to my phone.

So, that would be an option, if it was available.

I wanted to be able to buy them in the Google Play Books store. Currently nothing of the sort is affotdable available, and nothing by Hero Games nor for the Hero System. The thing is I can always buy a Google card to download a book to my phone.

So, that would be an option, if it was available.

Are any RPG books available on Google Play?  It seems that the biggest seller of PDF RPG books is Drivethru Stuff. 

Are any RPG books available on Google Play? It seems that the biggest seller of PDF RPG books is Drivethru Stuff.

A few minor books from minor companys who I haven't herd from. Nothing from WotC or whoever nakes Pathfinder. Also a few accidemic works, and an art book or two.

I originally thought prehaps DOJ doesn't know about Google Play services, but it might be more the fault of Google, since they don't carry WotC DND stuff either.

I doubt if it's a lack of knowledge of their options on DOJ's part. There are many, many options for electronic publishing. The problem is that most of them aren't compatible with one another, so each platform would cost money to set up.

As for print runs: Thor Power Tools. Since we're talking about a company that's serving a niche market within a niche market, the problems with having to sit on unsold inventory are a serious concern. Small print runs cost more per unit, so margins can get sucked up fast if you get stuck with unsold inventory.

Electronic publishing is a good thing for a smaller company. The fact that DOJ is still around is pretty damned impressive, IMO.

If you have a 2nd and Charles near, you never know what you might find there. When I was in Denver last year I found a lot of Hero books that I didn't have in my collection.

Me too. I liken that place to a yard sale. Never know what you buy. But for DOJ its not the best. If I pick up a book from them then DOJ isn't making any money. (This of course assumes DOJ still offeres it).

Be aware that most of the 5e books are still available and are deeply discounted on the Hero Store. I picked up a number of books that weren't in my collection and almost made the mistake of buying them on eBay. Thank goodness I checked here because all of the physical books I wanted were like 50% off and included the PDF.

Be aware that most of the 5e books are still available and are deeply discounted on the Hero Store. I picked up a number of books that weren't in my collection and almost made the mistake of buying them on eBay. Thank goodness I checked here because all of the physical books I wanted were like 50% off and included the PDF.

What I picked up was pre-5th. One of the Almanacs, an issue of AC.