Dwayne Johnson Confirmed As Doc Savage

wcw43921

If you're looking for a modern version of Doc Savage, be happy. MGM Studios is readying a TV series for Buckaroo Banzai that will be helmed someone who truly loves the movie...Kevin Smith.

He may not be the perfect action movie director, but I'll take someone who has respect for the material over somebody who just doesn't get it.

Besides, no one was sure of Joss Whedon directing The Avengers and that turned out pretty well.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally the "Mary Sue" was an author injecting herself into a book with a proxy, a character that was all the stuff she wished she was and could never be, smart, pretty, strong, always right, loved by all the boys, admired by all the girls, etc, etc.  I guess its becoming just the overly competent hero now.

Some years ago I found an app that determined if your character was a Mary Sue by the answers you gave to a few dozen questions. I was intrigued so I ran a number of well known fictional heroes through it. They all came up as Mary Sues. Jim Kirk, Spock, Batman, Superman, James Bond etc, etc, etc. All Mary Sues!

So if Doc Savage is a Mary Sue he's in good company.

Agreed. Especially since the pulps were dominated by solo heroes who had to get themselves out of all those sticky situations.

However, this becomes awkward for a modern screenwriter faced with writing a script for a lead hero and five sidekicks who are outclassed by the hero in every way. Don't be surprised if this Doc's fabulous five are better than him in their particular areas of expertise, transforming him from pulp-era Mary Sue to modern-era Well-rounded But Imperfect Hero.

• 2 weeks later...

I read one Shadow story. Thinking crooks were going to break into a really advanced safe, he wanted to brake into it first. The safe is described as so complex that only two people in the city had any hope of breaking into it. The Shadow got into it, and then waited for the crooks. One of the crooks was one of the two previously mentioned people. He got in, but took ten minutes longer than the Shadow. Pulp heroes main trait has always been being ridiculously competent. Tarzan wrestles gorillias and aligators The odd thing about Doc Savage is like most top tier pulp heroes, he can do practicly anything better than most people in the world, but he travels with five men who are able to match Doc in each of their fields. So how much of a Mary Sue he'll come off will largely depend on how much his aides are given to do.

I was a big fan of Greatest American Hero back in the day, based my first and most beloved Champions character on the idea of Bill Maxwell getting the suit and am currently sporting a tattoo of the symbol on my right arm.

So smile when you say that cowboy.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So...I was watching the pre-vue for Ghost Busters...when it Hit me. Doc Sav is a Girl, and so are the whole team! Yes! Something this original will win awards! Maybe that Mc Carthy lady is available...and that tall South African actress...Soon I will Rule Hollywood! Muh ha ha ha!!!

While I don't have a problem with a racially diverse cast in movies and casting Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury has been fantastic and I have high hopes for Denzel Washington in the Yul Brenner role in Mag. 7, changing race or gender on a character just for the hell of it doesn't seem right.

An update of Doc Savage with the decendants of Doc & the team might be a lot easier to write and could use whatever actors worked best in the roles. Although I don't think a female version of Monk would be a great idea, someone of a different racial background or even orientation could still work fine.