STAR TREK: Discovery

wcw43921

Why the original series worked:

1) Great cast of character actors and lesser-known, but highly talented regulars

2) Memorable, strong characters built around archetypes (the ethnic curmudgeon guy in the engine room, the stoic, intellectual scientist, the country doctor, etc)

3) The show was a series of vignettes meant to be individual stories about sci fi thought pieces; Twilight Zone in space

4) The technology was only advanced enough to seem futuristic, rather than magical and able to solve every problem with just SCIENCE!

5) Written by skilled, qualified sci fi authors interested in writing science fiction rather than a TV show

6) No compulsion to be a continuing single story, instead continuing characters and relationships

• 2 weeks later...

The best episodes this season have been stand alone.  It's like the anti-DS9 in that regard - or making the same mistakes that Enterprise season one made.

Either way, I do like it (with a few reservations).  I don't even mind the jump drive as long as I place the series in Elseworld land  - I've always considered them very cool (especially in the BSG reboot, which is basically how this jump drive comes across as well).

I also liked the mid-season finale. Very fast-paced, good drama, action, and fewer plot holes (hah). Wish there was a bit more ship combat in this series, and wish there was a bit more strategy than just "our advanced tech trumps your advanced tech" this time.

Visually, also liked how they're bringing a lot of the control surfaces closer to TOS (actual colored buttons and switches, less of the LCARS touch screens).

I have grave issues about the Klingon ship designs, less so about the Klingons (maybe this Klingon fad of shaving their scalps will end, and they'll start growing hair again).

• 8 months later...
On 10/25/2017 at 7:56 PM, Christopher R Taylor said:

Why the original series worked:

1) Great cast of character actors and lesser-known, but highly talented regulars

2) Memorable, strong characters built around archetypes (the ethnic curmudgeon guy in the engine room, the stoic, intellectual scientist, the country doctor, etc)

3) The show was a series of vignettes meant to be individual stories about sci fi thought pieces; Twilight Zone in space

4) The technology was only advanced enough to seem futuristic, rather than magical and able to solve every problem with just SCIENCE!

5) Written by skilled, qualified sci fi authors interested in writing science fiction rather than a TV show

6) No compulsion to be a continuing single story, instead continuing characters and relationships

I would like to add one more point to that.

8) No soap opera like story lines.