STAR TREK: Discovery

wcw43921

Probe?  What kind of tac officer are you?  Arm photon torpedoes!

;)

Ah, so you take the Minbari approach a step further. When meeting a new enemy, show them we are peaceful by pointing all our weapons cocked and loaded at them. If that doesn't just scream peaceful race wanting to talk, what does.

Is one of the few major problems I had with B5 back in the day. Who thinks pointing a weapon at someone the first time you meet them will end well.

Ah, so you take the Minbari approach a step further. When meeting a new enemy, show them we are peaceful by pointing all our weapons cocked and loaded at them. If that doesn't just scream peaceful race wanting to talk, what does.

Is one of the few major problems I had with B5 back in the day. Who thinks pointing a weapon at someone the first time you meet them will end well.

The Minbari had their gunports open, that's all. The intent was that the other vessel's sensors would see that their weapons were uncharged. Unfortunately the primitive Earth sensors couldn't tell. It was similar to the old practice of firing your cannons to show they were now empty back in the 15th and 16th centuries. A practice that evolved into firing a salute to a neutral's flag.

The idea being explored there in B5 was that cultural differences can lead to terrible misinterpretations of intent. We extend our hands in greeting without thinking twice about it, but an alien species might misinterpret that as an attack depending on their own cultural history. To the Minbari, opening uncharged gunports was a way of showing they had no hostile intentions--not only were their guns "cold", but the ports were open to demonstrate they weren't being deceptive. The mistake on their part was assuming that Earth Alliance vessels were capable of detecting this and that EA officers were capable of leaping to the correct conclusion. If nothing else, it shows what can happen when a first contact scenario is conducted between two warships.

I think meeting an alien species in space for the first time without showing you're strong and able to defend yourself would be patently idiotic.  The reaction to assume war was even stupider; who wouldn't be ready to defend themselves upon first meeting an entirely unknown new species?  Only a fool.

no the probe is really a red shirt

and we see a small portion of this weeks monster/obstacle to deal with's power
the probe just always seems to enter/get close to areas that are really sensitive

so paint the probes red

Problem is there wouldn't be much of a show if every cold open ended with 'back us up and launch a probe' :)

Frakes does pretty well as a director.  I wasn't terribly impressed with his acting (or character) but he's a solid director.

That's a small glimmer of hope, anyway.

Frakes knows his Trek. 

Not really hopeful at all.  Yes Frakes knows his Trek, but CBS has been clear they are changing the rules and discarding those pesky Trek guidelines to tell edgier stories.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There is a new trailer out and it is listing the show as a Netflix original series. So, I guess I will be checking it out.

It looks too dark to me. I hate shows that think shadows equal atmosphere. They're almost impossible for me to watch. And then there's what I feel is the overuse of special effects. It just looks cluttered. I'll pass on this one.

There is a new trailer out and it is listing the show as a Netflix original series.  So, I guess I will be checking it out.

It'll be on Netflix outside the US. If you're in the US, you're stuck with the CBS streaming service. I plan to wait until the CBS service fails, then watch it when it finally makes it to US Netflix.

It'll be on Netflix outside the US. If you're in the US, you're stuck with the CBS streaming service. I plan to wait until the CBS service fails, then watch it when it finally makes it to US Netflix.

If I remember to, that is my take on it. On the other hand, I have watched the recent Comic-Con trailers for the Defenders and for Stranger Things season two. In the first 25 seconds of each of those trailers, I was indescribably more interested than I was at the Star Trek Discovery trailer. Heck, for that matter, there is a new show coming to Netflix (I believe) that could not be more Shadowrun if it tried. Looks kind of cheesy but even with that qualification, it was more interesting than STD.