STAR TREK: Discovery

wcw43921

Is that the Orc Cop one?  I don't remember what it's called, it has some meaningless title, when it ought to be called Orc Cop.

Truer words were never spoken.

The only thing that makes me kind of interested in STD (hmm... that's not a great abbreviation.  "what are you doing, honey?"  "I'm getting my STD on.") is that Harry Mudd is going to be played by Dwight.  Mudd was a silly character, but... Dwight.

M. -- Methodical

U. -- Undeterred

D. -- Determined worker

D. -- Diligent worker

It'll be on Netflix outside the US. If you're in the US, you're stuck with the CBS streaming service. I plan to wait until the CBS service fails, then watch it when it finally makes it to US Netflix.

Bummer.  Well, I guess that I will be doing what you are doing.  That is unless it turn out to suck, in which case I will be spared the bother.

... protected their IP (especially since they were developing a show of their own)?

I might be way off base but if you don't defend your copywrite and trademarks can't people sue for them to become public domain (or at least sue that they don't need to pay you to use them?)

I won't be watching because it doesn't look interesting and I've finally realized that I don't need to watch something just because it's part of a setting I like (Thank you, Stargate Universe).

Trademarks need to be defended. Copyrights don't.

The issue with Axanar is, they gave the go ahead, then took it back when they saw the funding Axanar was getting. So, it's been seen as bad faith dealing on their part.

I believe that this is the entire problem CBS has with Trek right now. 

They are dishonest in both intent and how they deal with the existing fan base,, they repeatedly say one thing and do a completely different thing.  And then make believe it never happened. 

Is Star Trek (TV) their IP?  Yes. 

Can they do what ever they want with it?  Absolutely.

Is announcing the intent to do one thing and then doing something completely different a good sales tactic?  Nope, In the real world that is known as Bait & Switch and is considered a con.

The Prime Universe timeline has existed for over 50 years and has been embraced by millions.  Even when the original show had been written off as a failure, the fans were there and those same fans embraced and launched the moves and then TNG and the rest.   When they created the new movies (Kelvin timeline) some liked it some didn't, but the only controversy was the controversy generated by magazines and web-blogs desperate for clicks.

In this case CBS announced that the new series would continue in the existing Prime timeline ten years before TOS and then immediately changed everything.  Literally everything.

Like Twilight tried to transform Vampires from ancient evil entities into glitter dusted boytoys, the first look at STD has the hardened no nonsense Klingon warrior race transformed into pimped out somethings.  Their equipment went from tough utilitarian tools and weapons to gaudy for gaudy's sake. 

All technology follows functional reasoning.  Form follows function.  That is why there are so few overall changes.  A ship today and a ship built in the 1800's is still recognizable as a ship, with the biggest noticeable change being masts and sails.   But overall if you line them up, you can easily trace the evolution of the ship from the past to present. 

Fictional settings are not different.  You pick the parameters of the rubber science and go.  TOS was created in a TV era where continuity wasn't a thing and no effort was expended to try and make things fit.  But they did establish a few general "rules".   When the movies sparked Treks return the new series (TNG, DS9, etc) did try to maintain continuity and did so.  Each new series adding to the "rules" and the canon.  When they did ENT they realized that a major issue was blending into the timeline when TOS on screen tech was obviously behind real world current tech.  They set the new series 100 before TOS.  But even with the visual update the overall ship designs and uniforms did look like they could have been before TOS.  Any fan could take the ships and draw a progressing line from ENT to TOS to TNG to DS9 to VOY.  Fudging a little to compensate for Hollywood Tech they all still held up. 

But here comes STD.  Ten years before TOS and the ship design does not fit anywhere.  There is no path from ENT to STD to TOS. 

If they would have been honest up front and said they were creating a new stand alone Trek then they might have succeeded.  Fans would watch a new reboot for all the lamentations for a fans favorite series.   But they didn't.

1) They say that Axanar is great, and then when it looks to be a massive hit, they reversed and killed it.

2) They see Trek fans as a collective herd of stupid idiots who will automatically hand them money so they pander with the Bait & Switch promise about the Prime timeline.

3) They blithefully intone "Ignore our lies and subscribe to a web stream for only one show that isn't what we promised". 

4) They repeatedly make believe 1 through 3 didn't happen and anyone that doesn't like being mislead is a whiner, ensuring anyone that was on the fence gets pissed off and leaves.

I believe that this is the entire problem CBS has with Trek right now.

They are dishonest in both intent and how they deal with the existing fan base,, they repeatedly say one thing and do a completely different thing. And then make believe it never happened.

Is Star Trek (TV) their IP? Yes.

Can they do what ever they want with it? Absolutely.

Is announcing the intent to do one thing and then doing something completely different a good sales tactic? Nope, In the real world that is known as Bait & Switch and is considered a con.

The Prime Universe timeline has existed for over 50 years and has been embraced by millions. Even when the original show had been written off as a failure, the fans were there and those same fans embraced and launched the moves and then TNG and the rest. When they created the new movies (Kelvin timeline) some liked it some didn't, but the only controversy was the controversy generated by magazines and web-blogs desperate for clicks.

In this case CBS announced that the new series would continue in the existing Prime timeline ten years before TOS and then immediately changed everything. Literally everything.

Like Twilight tried to transform Vampires from ancient evil entities into glitter dusted boytoys, the first look at STD has the hardened no nonsense Klingon warrior race transformed into pimped out somethings. Their equipment went from tough utilitarian tools and weapons to gaudy for gaudy's sake.

All technology follows functional reasoning. Form follows function. That is why there are so few overall changes. A ship today and a ship built in the 1800's is still recognizable as a ship, with the biggest noticeable change being masts and sails. But overall if you line them up, you can easily trace the evolution of the ship from the past to present.

Fictional settings are not different. You pick the parameters of the rubber science and go. TOS was created in a TV era where continuity wasn't a thing and no effort was expended to try and make things fit. But they did establish a few general "rules". When the movies sparked Treks return the new series (TNG, DS9, etc) did try to maintain continuity and did so. Each new series adding to the "rules" and the canon. When they did ENT they realized that a major issue was blending into the timeline when TOS on screen tech was obviously behind real world current tech. They set the new series 100 before TOS. But even with the visual update the overall ship designs and uniforms did look like they could have been before TOS. Any fan could take the ships and draw a progressing line from ENT to TOS to TNG to DS9 to VOY. Fudging a little to compensate for Hollywood Tech they all still held up.

But here comes STD. Ten years before TOS and the ship design does not fit anywhere. There is no path from ENT to STD to TOS.

If they would have been honest up front and said they were creating a new stand alone Trek then they might have succeeded. Fans would watch a new reboot for all the lamentations for a fans favorite series. But they didn't.

1) They say that Axanar is great, and then when it looks to be a massive hit, they reversed and killed it.

2) They see Trek fans as a collective herd of stupid idiots who will automatically hand them money so they pander with the Bait & Switch promise about the Prime timeline.

3) They blithefully intone "Ignore our lies and subscribe to a web stream for only one show that isn't what we promised".

4) They repeatedly make believe 1 through 3 didn't happen and anyone that doesn't like being mislead is a whiner, ensuring anyone that was on the fence gets pissed off and leaves.

Basically agree with everything you said. And even so, if they wanted to make a boat load of money off us stupid sheep they should follow basic marketing strategy and give the buyers what they want.

Why pander to creative talent that has repeatedly demonstrated they do not know what they are doing (at least with the television IP)? Reach out and bind contractually these impudent Axanar folks, get them on your payroll as technical consultants at the very least.

Try it out in television medium. Lower risk. Do a 4-6 episode pilot, see how it works.

It's not that hard. I can't understand why they wouldn't want to run with that formula.

Basically agree with everything you said. And even so, if they wanted to make a boat load of money off us stupid sheep they should follow basic marketing strategy and give the buyers what they want.

Why pander to creative talent that has repeatedly demonstrated they do not know what they are doing (at least with the television IP)? Reach out and bind contractually these impudent Axanar folks, get them on your payroll as technical consultants at the very least.

Try it out in television medium. Lower risk. Do a 4-6 episode pilot, see how it works.

It's not that hard. I can't understand why they wouldn't want to run with that formula.

LOL

But they couldn't do that!  It would make absolutely too much sense.

Imagine if they let riffraff in off of the street.  What would happen to their jobs!

No, they will continue to crank out drivel and count on enough sheeple to make a buck :winkgrin:

My level of surprise about all that the video discussed is in the slight blip between 0 and 0.1. 

Spock's previously unmentioned step-sister? I never thought it was possible to jump the shark before the first episode even airs. I think STD just managed to do it.

But to be positive, that space suit armor thing looks pretty neat. And....yeah, that's all I got.