On This Day in History

GhostDancer

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, GhostDancer said:

2007: The Big Bang Theory began. The nerd-centric sitcom focuses on science and pop culture themes, relationships, and situations, including comics shop visits and Comic-Con International: San Diego trips.

This will forever be known as the Golden Age of Television.

On September 25, 1804, the 12th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution took effect. It repaired the broken system for electing the President by making President and Vice-President separate races, eliminating the situation where the two Presidential candidates from the same party would tie and the House of Representatives would have to choose between them (which is what had happened four years earlier when Thomas Jefferson and Aaron Burr came out tied because electors cast ballots for both), and the system where the second-place finisher for the Presidency became Vice-President (which resulted in 1796's election putting in place a President and VP from rival parties). The adoption was in time for Jefferson's re-election later that year.

• 2 weeks later...

This day in 1957, the Soviet Union began, and took the early lead in, the Space Race with the launch and orbiting of Sputnik 1.  Though it profoundly affected my life along with everyone else's, I don't remember the event; I was not quite a few days short of 15 months old at the time of the launch.

• 2 weeks later...

So sorry to learn we've lost Pat Lupoff, co-winner with her husband Richard Lupoff of the 1963 Best Fanzine Hugo Award for Xero — which made her the first female recipient of a Hugo. Here she is dressed as Mary Marvel (with Dick as Captain Marvel) at the 1960 Pittsburgh Worldcon. Fifty-one years after that was taken, when the San Diego Comic-Con hosted a celebration of 50 years of comic fandom for those of us who'd been involved in it that long, I took my own photo of them holding the original image of their cosplay. My heart goes out to Richard and all who loved her.  - Scott Edelman

FB_IMG_1539902659263.jpg

St Crispin's Day.

... in 1415, the Battle of Agincourt in the Hundred Years War, the signal victory of the English and Welsh longbowmen against the French knights (mostly dismounted)

... in 1854, the Battle of Balaclava in the Crimean War, most famous for the Charge of the Light Brigade

... in 1944, the heavy actions of the Battle of Leyte Gulf, comprised of several related but separate actions that started late on the 23rd and went on until the 26th; the overwhelming defeat inflicted on Japan approximately ended her naval operations in the war.

22 hours ago, death tribble said:

In 1813 on October 26th the Battle of Chateauguay took place.

Invaders of Canada were repulsed.

The War of 1812 was one of the great blunders of American history. The American line of thought was that with Britain occupied with Napoleon in Europe, they could quickly take Canada with little resistance. At the time war was declared, they probably thought Napoleon close to unbeatable and that the British would be occupied significantly longer. What they didn't count on was resistance from the Canadians themselves, a lot of whom were from the families of Tories who had fled or were kicked out of the rebel colonies. Canada had no desire to become part of the US, even if the UK could not intervene at all....

American command was incompetent, composed almost entirely of political appointees. Their mobilization was a mess. Their navy was almost non-existent and incapable of even securing their own coastline, and the British had significant naval assets at Halifax in Nova Scotia. Worst of all, Napoleon was beaten in 1814 -- creating the threat that England could devote her full attention to the American war. The threat of that drove the US to the negotiating table, where they were able to work out a statement that preserved the territorial status quo of before the war, The English middle class was quite happy to see one of their best trade partners back in their good graces.

Trying to sneak a quick conquest behind the empire's back? Very, very stupid.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple hours away by my local time, but for much of the world it's correct: this is the centenary of the armistice that ended World War I, as the guns fell silent on the Western Front.  That cataclysm effectively defines the beginning of the modern world as we know it, erasing nearly all of the old monarchies, initiating the first Communist regimes, dragging the United States into world politics against its will, and jump-starting the process of dissolving old empires into larger numbers of national states.

My grandfather was in basic training at Fort Bliss, Texas, a hundred years ago today, and the Army sent him home in the prompt demobilization.  Had the war gone on as it had for another few months ... I might not be here now.

It's half 11 local time but at 10 local time it was 11 in France and that is when the guns stopped and the fighting stopped but the Americans attacked on this day 1918 before 11 to the horror of the Germans who knew that the fighting would stop at 11. The officer in charge wanted to get his soldiers into showers and so launched the attack.

The President of the German republic lay a wreath at the Cenotaph in Whitehall this year for the first time.