Hey Cancer, quit trying to destroy the universe!

Hey, kids! How ridiculous can clickbait get? This turned up in my newsfeed:

Super-Earth Threatens The Destruction Of Our Planet (msn.com)

Er, no, not like for real. It's about simulations of what could happen to Earth's orbit if a super-Earth suddenly appeared between Mars and Jupiter. Nothing good; no surprise. But since to the best of our knowledge planets don't appear from nowhere or teleport into star systems, the exercise is of little immediate concern.

Though it *did* get me to click it, if only from morbid curiosity...

Dean Shomshak

I am reminded of the idiot 30 years ago who said we'd improve our climate if we destroyed the Moon.

I remember telling my stepfather-in-law-to-be at the time when he asked about that, I replied, "What's he gonna do with the f---ing pieces?" of the Moon after it was destroyed.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, more stupid clickbait in my front page feed!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/supermassive-black-hole-may-pose-threat-to-earth/vi-AA19aonp?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=8c012f3f99ac4134a742491fd34c8a5f&ei=26

Um, no, the supermassive black hole more than 600 million light-years away does not pose a threat to Earth. I suspect the story contains other, hm, misunderstandings as well, but that's the big one.

Dean Shomshak

Here I was expecting more fallout from this paper, where the neutrino detector guys have identified the black hole at the center of Messier 77 = NGC 1068 as a source for TeV neutrinos.  That's a (barely) macroscopic energy ("about the kinetic energy of a mosquito") but in a single subatomic particle.  Another one of those situations that ... you don't want that source to be much closer to you than it is right now (about 14.4 Mpc).