Knockback in High Gravity environments

CptPatriot

Well...you'd travel a shorter distance, but hit just as hard (or Harder than the shorter distance...)  so spit ball it like Density increase...I would halve the distance, but roll the normal number of dice for 2-3 gee...?

Example: 2.5 G...8" of KB, travel 4" roll 8D if you hit a wall, 4D if the floor etc...

• 2 months later...

Well...you'd travel a shorter distance, but hit just as hard (or Harder than the shorter distance...)  so spit ball it like Density increase...I would halve the distance, but roll the normal number of dice for 2-3 gee...?

Example: 2.5 G...8" of KB, travel 4" roll 8D if you hit a wall, 4D if the floor etc...

D'oh, totally slept on that.

You only hit harder if your attack's vector points downwards.

Nope. higher gravity, greater acceleration toward the ground, more velocity at point of impact, more damage...

Allow an object to fall at normal gravity it gains 10m/s velocity every second. At 2G the object gains 20m/s every second. From the same point, the object is moving twice as fast.

If the knock back is sufficient to hit a solid object before the victim hits the ground then KB damage is just the same. If, instead, the person hits the ground (which they will do over a shorter distance in higher gravity) they will take more damage than if they hit the ground at standard gravity.

Doc

Depends on how high we're talking about. Big difference between 1.5G vs 5G.

Hmm...what about:

• Determine Knockback normally
  • Divide the distance by the local gravity, so in 2G you go twice as far back, in 0.5 G you go half as far, etc.
  • If you hit a wall or vertical object, determine damage normally based on the original KB value (ie - not the modified distance).
  • If you hit the floor - or if KB angle is downward - multiply the KB damage by the local gravity (again, based on the original unmodified KB value), so in 2G you take twice as much, in 1/2 G you take 1/2 damage, etc. Remember that if you're Knockedback horizontally and just hit the floor rather than a wall or something, KB damage is halved in addition to adjusting for gravity.

I have no idea how close this is to real-world physics, but this ain't the Star Hero section so it should be close enough for superhero purposes.

Depends on how high we're talking about. Big difference between 1.5G vs 5G.

Hmm...what about:

• Determine Knockback normally
  • Divide the distance by the local gravity, so in 2G you go twice as far back, in 0.5 G you go half as far, etc.
  • If you hit a wall or vertical object, determine damage normally based on the original KB value (ie - not the modified distance).
  • If you hit the floor - or if KB angle is downward - multiply the KB damage by the local gravity (again, based on the original unmodified KB value), so in 2G you take twice as much, in 1/2 G you take 1/2 damage, etc. Remember that if you're Knockedback horizontally and just hit the floor rather than a wall or something, KB damage is halved in addition to adjusting for gravity.
I have no idea how close this is to real-world physics, but this ain't the Star Hero section so it should be close enough for superhero purposes.

think you are right about the good enugh for superhero work. The second part of your second bullet is wrong though. You can divide by the gravity but diding by 2G means you go half as far and dividing by 0.5G sends you twice as far. :-)

Doc

think you are right about the good enugh for superhero work. The second part of your second bullet is wrong though. You can divide by the gravity but diding by 2G means you go half as far and dividing by 0.5G sends you twice as far. :-)

The sad thing is I must've read that three times to make sure I was saying it right...

If you are not used to the higher gravity then you might impose a requirement that if you take a blow where total BODY of the attack is greater than the characters total BODY (regardless if nothing gets through defences) then the person hit should make a DEX roll or lose their balance and fall over...

More bureaucracy though - I am not in favour for most superhero games...

Questions:
Where does Knockback end and Falling Start**?
Actually, where does Flight end and Falling Start?

How much of the "damage" from Knockback is hitting stuff. How much is sliding over the ground?

At a first glance, it should give everyone KB resistance. Same way as similar levels of Density Increase does.

Of course in order to move normally under these conditions, characters also need extra ordinary strenght.

Density Increase and Growth are designed so that the Extra STR from them does compensate perfectly for the extra weight*

*There is this rule if STR goes down to 0. And that 0 point inreases with DI/Growth.

**That part is particulary tricky. Knockback can move you further in one segment (when you might not even have a phase) then many people can travel per phase. It is effectively entirely outside of the Segment/Phase/normal movement mechanic.

Where does Knockback end and Falling Start**?

At the edge of the roof/cliff/whatever. :winkgrin:

But seriously, folks. Knockback is Instant, falling is Constant. So from a mechanical standpoint, KB ends at the end of the KB distance, after which you're either on the ground or you start falling on the next Segment.

Actually, where does Flight end and Falling Start?

If you're Flying, you're in control. If I hit you for KB, I'm in control (at least initially). If you're falling, gravity is in control.

How much of the "damage" from Knockback is hitting stuff. How much is sliding over the ground?

Well per RAW, if you don't hit anything and just slide along the ground, you only take 1/2 damage.

**That part is particulary tricky. Knockback can move you further in one segment (when you might not even have a phase) then many people can travel per phase. It is effectively entirely outside of the Segment/Phase/normal movement mechanic.

Yeah, the fact that it takes no time and ignores all normal movement rules is a bit artificial. I guess if you wanted to be more exacting you could treat KB like Limited Flight UAA. Although the thought of doing that for basically every attack makes my head hurt, and I'm not sure what you'd gain by it.