Please review this item for me

JmOz

A power for my (Probably never done) book.  Tell me if it does what I THINK it does. 

Ring of the Fox, all slots OIF (-1/2)  

8  1)   Signet Ring: Hand-To-Hand Attack +2d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (15 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/4) 0

5  2)   Marked: Cosmetic Transform 1d6 (creates Scared individual, healed by Plastic Surgery), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Damage Over Time, Target's defenses only apply once (9-12 damage increments, damage occurs every 5 Minutes, +3) (13 Active Points); Signet Ring must do Body Damage (-1/2), Linked (Signet Ring; -1/2), OIF (-1/2) 0

Also note that the resulting "scarred" individual would not be scarred in a way that merits more than a 5 point DF. I am guessing you have the scar in the form of the signet on the ring?

Lastly, you have defined the transform reverse phenomenon (although I would probably require something a bit less difficult to obtain, if your world is anything like current Earth),  you have not defined a common and obvious way to stop the damage over time from progressing.

- E

A power for my (Probably never done) book.  Tell me if it does what I THINK it does. 

Ring of the Fox, all slots OIF (-1/2)  

8  1)   Signet Ring: Hand-To-Hand Attack +2d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (15 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/4) 0

5  2)   Marked: Cosmetic Transform 1d6 (creates Scared individual, healed by Plastic Surgery), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Damage Over Time, Target's defenses only apply once (9-12 damage increments, damage occurs every 5 Minutes, +3) (13 Active Points); Signet Ring must do Body Damage (-1/2), Linked (Signet Ring; -1/2), OIF (-1/2) 0

It looks to me like the wearer of the ring punches someone, and then the target starts becoming scarred.  Whether it's by the ring cutting their face, or some substance in the ring, or a magical effect, it's hard for me to say, but that's what I get from it.

79641c03d079263c76860130b20d7b8c.jpg

That are teh ideas I got too.

But I wonder:

What is the use for the wielder of the Ring to "scar" thier target?

Would the scaring effect work through a mask of some sort (skymask, clothing), so it could help later identifying a perp?

How does a signet ring casue a whopping 2D6 HKA on top of STR? That is doubling the damage ability of an average human ring wielder.

Is this for a Heroic or Superheroic Campaign?

And it is a ha not hka

Sorry, used the wrong term. Still, +2d6 normal damage is quite a lot. Somewhere between doublng the damage then increasing it by 50% in a Heroic game.

It is in the tradition of old pulp heroes. Yes scarred. I would say treatmen ala paramedics roll to stop. Thing phantom or spider iirc.

There was a Golden Age Green Lantern story (late in the era, I think) where GL was able to apprehend the Sportsmaster in his secret ID by recognizing the imprint left by his ring on Sportsmaster's jaw.

It seems like this would be a reasonable Transform to "heal over time", though.

I figured something like that for Heroic Levels.

But then the question is if it is needed at all:

Your STR based HTH-Attack does not need a Transform to give the enemy a blue eye.

Nor does a sword need a special power to chop of your Leg (on a very good hit or if you have enough time to aim).

In heroic games the special effects of money bought equipment often have more abilities in themself. Something they should not have in a superheroic genre.

Treating it like a Programmers questions my question would be:

Is this "marking" a primary purpose of the Ring? Or is that a minor effect that would/should happen with every signet Ring in your world?

If it is there for marking, I am not sure Cosmetic is expensive enough. What you affectively give that person is a "Distinctive Feature" Complication via the marking. The ability to hide it (and thus price) might varry based on where you marked him/her/it.

Like a Batfleck Bat-branding.

If it is there for marking, I am not sure Cosmetic is expensive enough. What you affectively give that person is a "Distinctive Feature" Complication via the marking. The ability to hide it (and thus price) might varry based on where you marked him/her/it.

Like a Batfleck Bat-branding.

That is one of the exact examples of Cosmetic Transform on 6e1, 303:

giving to (or removing from) someone up to 5 Character Points’ worth of the Distinctive Features Complication (or other Complications based solely on appearance)

For up to 10 Character points of Complication, you would need a minor transform.

- E

Signet Ring must do Body Damage (-1/2)

Overall I like the concept and I think the build does what you want it to do. I am wondering about the value of this Limitation, tho. I assume the ring only has to do Body Damage once, which then ~triggers* multiple damage increments, so I might be tempted to reduce the value of this to -1/4. OTOH it depends on how often HA attacks do BODY in your game; if this is a supers campaign, I'm guessing the answer is "rarely" so this may only come into play against mooks.

* I don't mean Trigger in the mechanical sense.

Overall I like the concept and I think the build does what you want it to do. I am wondering about the value of this Limitation, tho. I assume the ring only has to do Body Damage once, which then ~triggers* multiple damage increments, so I might be tempted to reduce the value of this to -1/4. OTOH it depends on how often HA attacks do BODY in your game; if this is a supers campaign, I'm guessing the answer is "rarely" so this may only come into play against mooks.

* I don't mean Trigger in the mechanical sense.

I totally forgot to register that. The Ring has to deal Body damage. On a Normal Damage Attack.

Even in a Heroic setting, 4D6 might be hard pressed to deal any BODY past defenses.

In a superheroic it might not even be close.