History of Star Hero help, please?

Duke Bushido

Vulcans have sex only once every 7 years. Who wants to board that cultural train?

I won't claim to be an expert on either group, but from my own experience, Klingon's only seem to be hooking up with the most irritating people at the convention, so it's pretty bleak either way.

(and I need to "Like" Lawnmower Boy when I get some ammo back. :D )

Just to add a clarification to Tasha's helpful post: To be precise, the rules for any of Hero's stand-alone genre games previous to Fourth Edition weren't really "based" on any particular edition of Champions, except to the extent that they shared a number of common system features, particularly the way Characteristics were bought and how they affected each other. While they were all labeled as variations of the Hero System, the games were all unique, similar but not really interchangeable. They came with many assumptions intended to reflect the writers' preconceptions as to how their genres "should" be played. Mechanically, Fantasy Hero spells or Justice Inc. "Weird Talents" were not constructed the same way as Champions Powers; weapons and gadgetry in the other games didn't employ the Champions Focus classifications; Martial Arts from Danger International functioned very differently from how they did in Champions; the mecha construction system in Robot Warriors bore little resemblance to vehicle stats and rules in any of the other books. Each game included unique Skills, Modifiers, and Disadvantages, and sometimes ones with similar names or in-game functions were bought or operated differently.

Champions went through three editions while the other genre games were still in their First Edition, which is why they're often referred to that way. Fourth Edition Champions was actually the first iteration of Hero System to take all of that, combine and harmonize many elements, completely redesign a number of things like Vehicle rules, to make the universal Hero game system we've all come to know and love.

As Tasha and LL said , a lot of us picked and chose what were wanted from each genre and mixed it in other games

I gave Cheshire Cat from Champions aura vision  from Justice Inc because I thought his weak ego blast was lame.

I still lean toward using Cloak over Invisibility for Fantasy Hero. It has a nice feel to me to have the perceptive character be able to see through invisibility.

I remember when 4th hit we went thru and commented where the new stuff came from. Example Dispell and suppress came from Fantasy Hero.

The above posts are correct in that no Star Hero book was ever published for Fourth Edition Hero System. However, a manuscript for said book was in development, written by David Berge, Albert Deschesnes, and Shawn Wilson, and edited by Bruce Harlick. In 1994 a playtest text copy of that manuscript, along with a playtest updated starship combat system, was circulated to the Hero online community of the time. Shelley Chrystal Mactyre has it as part of the huge diverse archives from the classic Red October BBS, the hub of Hero net gaming back in the day, which she now generously hosts on her personal website. (Many rare gems can be unearthed from those files.)

The SH stuff has been freely available for download from that site for many years, so I can't see the harm in Attaching the ZIPs of them here:

Ahh Red october. I used to hit that with my modem. It is where I first saw Forgotten Futures a game of Scientific Romance.

They took Victorian SF settings from books in the public domain and made campaigns out of them. The one I remember was a setting of Kipling's where Heavier than air craft never took off but they rays and some form psionics.

Now mind you this before Steampunk!

• 4 weeks later...

A bit OT, but given how the question has been answered (I need to mark it that way, don't I? oops! ) and the conversation has flowed to an interesting point, I'd like to ask this:

Why are the books for speaking Klingon as common as dog droppings in larger book stores yet the ones for speaking Vulcan never seem to see reprinting?

Probably because there is a huge very enthusiastic Klingon Fanbase. Who are very dedicated to everything Klingon. So I'll bet that Klingon stuff just sells better.

ie I had no idea that there WAS even a Vulcan Language book. I have the Klingon book on my shelf of Star Trek Stuff.

Also that enthusiastic fanbase was the reason that the Star Trek MMO had Klingons as a playable species at launch and worked quickly to get all of the PVE content in place right after launch