Did I cheat?

Jkeown

I have this big issue with distrust at the game table. If you cannot trust me to be a fair, impartial GM, then don't put that responsibility upon me.

Like BD, I don't have an issue with player trust. I've done all sorts of things over the years, and they have always waited patiently to see what comes of it. For the most part, we're all usually pretty happy with the story that results.

It's pre-rolling. I don't know if it's because it's something they haven't encountered or because it feels like too big a change or just what it is. It's exasperating. But something about pre-rolling... You ever toss a fire cracker into a chicken yard? Very similar results.

I have all of my player's character sheets (thanks, HERO Designer!). So I know their CHA by heart. This past Saturday, one of them was attacked by a Mentalist who scored +30 on her Mental Illusions Roll (rolled pre-game, mind you). I said nothing about an attack, just played another hour or two of the game getting input from other players as if nothing weird was going on. After the Player revealed their safe house and many important and terrible things had been done over the course of 2 Illusionary hours, he snapped out of it with help from another player (1 Phase later in game time).

Then they learned he'd been under the influence the whole time. The bad guys beat them back to the safe house, nearly killed some campaign NPCs and made off with Arachne's Tapestry and the Important Mysterious Female NPC.

I think I did okay, but the pre-rolling feels dishonest. Hearing 18 dice hit the table really clues a bunch of PCs to the notion that bad doin's are afoot.  

Your thoughts?

No.

That is how I would handle it. But different groups have different styles and tastes.

Some people like 250 point champions while others insist on 500.

and some people just hate mentalists and it was all dream scenarios.

On the tangent that came up, the last ten years that I ran D & D, which was long ago, I never gave anyone any reason to believe someone's entire treasure would be on them.

I was the first DM for a number of the players, and I remember one of my players playing another game, and telling us all about how hard it was for her to get the other game sometimes.

Apparently someone snuck up and ambushed their group, did quite the number on them, and the group finally murder hoboed the person, and a number were disappointed in the loot. My player, however, was like, "He had that many coins on him? And he snuck up on us?"

The group were some friends of ours, and it became a running joke between the two groups, especially as their party's thief was like, um, please don't say any more, I have way more coin on me and I really like to be able to backstab people. When he became higher level, me and the other DM actually made a little mini-series within their world, an intrigue in which he hired his own party to help him get enough leverage on a number of local leaders so that a corrupt official who was tied to his thieves' guild could force through a measure that would make paper money the standard.

The whole explanation of the paper money and who would profit off of it was central to it all, and the players loved it, while also recognizing, except for one new player, that it was all one big in-joke on this thief and his bag of coins that no one can hear while he's backstabbing them.