Robotech for Hero 4th edition RPG

Mathew Robert Ignash

I was working on updating some of my Champions conversions on my web site one that I've been working on for a while is an adaption of Robotech to Hero 4th edition rules.

One of the biggest points of contention I have in converting characters is so I simply convert the characters for (very) low cost characters, and allow them to pilot massive expensive mecha as vehicles, or do I write them up with the character, equipment and mecha on the same character sheet as foci.

For instance, here is Dana Stealing:

http://mattcave.fcpages.com/PDFs/DANASTER.pdf

Here is the Hover Tank she pilots:

http://mattcave.fcpages.com/PDFs/VHTANK.pdf

I converted them as a 144 point character with a 412 point vehicle!

Now another approach would be to simply convert the whole character and vehicle on one page, with the mecha they pilot done as a focus for some powers.

For instance here is a Robotech Masters Blue Bioroid done one on character sheet for 197 points. His mecha and hover sled are simply equipment. No vehicle used.

http://mattcave.fcpages.com/PDFs/BIOROIDB.pdf

So which way do you think I should go on a Robotech Hero write up? Should I maybe provide BOTH versions on my page?

The Bioroid pilots are humanoids, but they received no personality in the TV series outside the character of Zor. Bioroids might as well just be robots with organic brains. The pilots just sat balled up in a fetal position inside the Bioroid armor.

I might just end up writing them all up both ways. So we will have a separate Dana and Hover Tank and a Dana with the Hovertank as a focus.

I would think that if I was running a Robotech Hero game, personally I would have my players play 75+75 point normal with NO EQUIPMENT, then as the GM I would supply them mecha, armor and weapons that were independent of their characters. Anyways, I will look at both options.

One problem with vehicles for Mecha is that SPD of the pilot influences the Running, Swimming and Flight speed of a vehicle. Let's say I ended up giving a Veritech a SPD  of 10, and then used some math to calculate that to make the go at full speed I need to give him 40 inches of Flying. Well, then I give that low level Veritech to a player with a 5 SPD.... does that mean his Veritech only flies at half speed when the slow pilot is driving it?

I am tempted to give the Veritech extra Flight with the limitation "just to keep the jet flying at full speed when drivers with a low SPD pilot it" (-1/2).

On the other hand if I made the character sheets specifically with the mecha as a focus I could easily tailor the running, swimming and flight to the SPD attribute of the character. A low SPD character would get more running than a high SPD character just so their jets all fly at the same airspeed!

Then again maybe ace pilots with a high SPD should be able to safely pilot their ships to go faster?

I was working on updating some of my Champions conversions on my web site one that I've been working on for a while is an adaption of Robotech to Hero 4th edition rules.

One of the biggest points of contention I have in converting characters is so I simply convert the characters for (very) low cost characters, and allow them to pilot massive expensive mecha as vehicles, or do I write them up with the character, equipment and mecha on the same character sheet as foci.

For instance, here is Dana Stealing:

http://mattcave.fcpages.com/PDFs/DANASTER.pdf

Here is the Hover Tank she pilots:

http://mattcave.fcpages.com/PDFs/VHTANK.pdf

I converted them as a 144 point character with a 412 point vehicle!

Now another approach would be to simply convert the whole character and vehicle on one page, with the mecha they pilot done as a focus for some powers.

For instance here is a Robotech Masters Blue Bioroid done one on character sheet for 197 points. His mecha and hover sled are simply equipment. No vehicle used.

http://mattcave.fcpages.com/PDFs/BIOROIDB.pdf

So which way do you think I should go on a Robotech Hero write up? Should I maybe provide BOTH versions on my page?

Did you know about this?

9780915795734-us-300.jpg

I would think that if I was running a Robotech Hero game, personally I would have my players play 75+75 point normal with NO EQUIPMENT, then as the GM I would supply them mecha, armor and weapons that were independent of their characters. Anyways, I will look at both options.

I would also recommend not paying for mecha and equipment. In a game such as Robotech, the characters equiment and mecha are not unique, it is military hardware and should he treated as such.

One problem with vehicles for Mecha is that SPD of the pilot influences the Running, Swimming and Flight speed of a vehicle. Let's say I ended up giving a Veritech a SPD of 10, and then used some math to calculate that to make the go at full speed I need to give him 40 inches of Flying. Well, then I give that low level Veritech to a player with a 5 SPD.... does that mean his Veritech only flies at half speed when the slow pilot is driving it?

Yes and no.

The vehicles maximum speed is based on Speed 10. It moves on its own phases if the pilot "opens it up" and lets the vehicle go as fast as it can. However the pilot can only maneuver the vehicle (initiate turns, accellerate, brake etc) on his/her own phases, so a vehicle that has been allowed to go its max speed will essentially continue forward on its phases until the pilot can maneuver it on his own phases. There is less control in this method, thus most pilots limit the SPD of their vehicles to something that is more manageable.

I am tempted to give the Veritech extra Flight with the limitation "just to keep the jet flying at full speed when drivers with a low SPD pilot it" (-1/2).

Not necessary based on what I said above.

On the other hand if I made the character sheets specifically with the mecha as a focus I could easily tailor the running, swimming and flight to the SPD attribute of the character. A low SPD character would get more running than a high SPD character just so their jets all fly at the same airspeed!

I never like the idea of Mecha as a focus. It doesnt really simulate the way mecha operate in the source material. Mecha are vehicles and shouldnbe treated as such.

When a mecha is damaged, the mechas superstructure takes damage, not the pilot. The pilot should only take damage if the pilot compartment is hit. If other vehicles in the setting are treated as vehicles, but mecha are treated as focus, it creates a weird dynamic. This is a major disconnect for me.

Then again maybe ace pilots with a high SPD should be able to safely pilot their ships to go faster?

Yes. I have used Talents such as ACE PILOT where it adds a +1 or +2 speed bonus only usable while piloting their mecha (-1). Also, I tend to keep the speed of Mecha fairly reasonable. For Veritech, I have the Battloid form be Speed 4, the Guardian form Speed 5 and the Fighter form Speed 6.

If you look at the varioua writeups for Jet fighters in Hero material, they tend to range between Speeds 4 and 6.

I think NSG hit on this already but be aware that a vehicles dex/spd can/is limited to that of a the pilot.  If you have a lower Dex/Spd pilot in a high SPD/DEX vehicle then the vehicle can be too responsive for the character to control.

That tiny issue can be overcome as NSG, again, pointed out with special talents and/or limited characteristics.

I also agree with writing up the character and then have the Veritechs and other types of Robotechnology being created as equipment/vehicles.  I've never been a fan of creating vehicles with powers instead of actual vehicles..  Again, for some of the same reasons as above. (Note: Even if I do find Hero a bit lacking in the vehicle combat/rules department).

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not recommending this, but it -is- an option: the character is the mecha with a multiform to a ~50 or 75 point base "human." I don't think I'd go that route with Robotech, where all the mecha come in pretty standardized forms, but there are some mecha-anime out there, that could be used as source material, where the mechs take on abilities and capabilities based on their pilot.

• 2 weeks later...