Golden Age Champions Discussion Thread

Darren Watts

Hey all! In case you never check the Kickstarter forum, you should know that Golden Age Champions launched its Kickstarter yesterday, and is already more than 40% funded. Still a long way yet to go, though, and there's a bunch of great stretch goals to hit past the basic funding level (including contributions from the likes of Steve Long, Bruce Harlick, Jason Walters, Mike Surbrook and more!) So, I figured we'd leave that thread for discussion of the campaign itself, and set one up over here to talk about content. LMK what you'd like to know about the book, the setting, the characters, the GM advice, or whatever else you want to know about here. Keep 'Em Flying! dw

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2000633882/darren-wattss-golden-age-champions

Will there be any mention of what established contemporary Champions characters who also lived during that era were doing? Folks like Cateran and Dr. Yin Wu?

Yup, lots! I've spent a lot of time going over every Champs Universe book to make sure I didn't miss anybody. There are even new writeups of characters who have only had brief mentions before, like Dr. Ka's granddaddy Dr. Twilight and a few Canadians from Scott's Champions of the North.

Hasn't been edited yet, so I don't have an answer for you. Almost certainly north of 200 pages, depending on layout and similar decisions maybe more like 250-300. If anything gets cut that's worth reading, it'll go into the annex PDF. dw

Nice not to have to stick to a given page count!  "Okay, we need to write a 128-pager on this..." isn't always a ton of fun.

How much of the villain base is "evil Japanese/Germans/Italians", and how much of it is mobsters and Batman style gimmick villains?

That's a great question, and I didn't know the answer so I went back and counted. Once again with the caveat that this is *before editing*, the count goes: 12 Germans, 2 Italians, 1 Bulgarian, 9 Japanese, 3 Atlanteans, 10 assorted American criminals, and 2 "alien races" (one of which is actually from here.)

That's a great question, and I didn't know the answer so I went back and counted. Once again with the caveat that this is *before editing*, the count goes: 12 Germans, 2 Italians, 1 Bulgarian, 9 Japanese, 3 Atlanteans, 10 assorted American criminals, and 2 "alien races" (one of which is actually from here.)

Cool. Crushing Nazis is always fun.

Yup, lots! I've spent a lot of time going over every Champs Universe book to make sure I didn't miss anybody. There are even new writeups of characters who have only had brief mentions before, like Dr. Ka's granddaddy Dr. Twilight and a few Canadians from Scott's Champions of the North.

Cool! Any chance of a glimpse of an occultist named John Fulton who's kind of sleazy but too damn smart? Or other master villains before they became master villains?

Dean Shomshak

Cool! Any chance of a glimpse of an occultist named John Fulton who's kind of sleazy but too damn smart? Or other master villains before they became master villains?

Dean Shomshak

That does remind me, a pre-Doctor Destroyer Doctor Destroyer. And, if he was old enough, Archmago (I suspect that he got his start in the golden age, but won't be a real threat till the silver age).

I hope there are background information about the three stages of the Golden Age.

Stage 1: Birth of the superhero till the start of World War 2.

Stage 2: The entier war years.

Stage 3: After the war till the publication of Seduction of the Innocent.

Which reminds me...can we have a supplment about the "Dark Age" Of Champions (complete with a Crypt Keeper type character hosting the book)?

Dean Shomshak

Hey Dean! Again, yup! The first part of Chapter 6 is a runthrough of pretty much everybody and everyplace in the CU, though many are only 1 or 2-line mentions.  

What if anything have you included about non-US supers & related stuff? (Yes, I know, pre-editing).

(I'm really really grumpy about being madly broke now).

Real-world or new characters? I'll assume the latter and give a similar breakdown to the villains above: 19 Americans (or at least spent most of their time in the US if they came from elsewhere), 6 Brits, 3 Canadians, 2 Russians, and one each from France, China and Gabon.

I hope there are background information about the three stages of the Golden Age.

Stage 1: Birth of the superhero till the start of World War 2.

Stage 2: The entier war years.

Stage 3: After the war till the publication of Seduction of the Innocent.

Which reminds me...can we have a supplment about the "Dark Age" Of Champions (complete with a Crypt Keeper type character hosting the book)?

Yup! SOTI isn't the cutoff I use - for my purposes, it's when All-Star Comics becomes a western.

Yup! SOTI isn't the cutoff I use - for my purposes, it's when All-Star Comics becomes a western.

Cool, but I think a small segment about the "Dark Age" might be fun.

Then again, it could be it's own book. "Dark Age of Champions". Superheroes in the time between the Golden and Silver Age. And, yes there were superpowered individuals. Most supers were police types with mimimum amount of powers, or supernatural beings more intrested in telling stories of cosmic justice then fighting crime (have you ever seen Mr. Crime or the Crypt Keeper fight crooks?).

Can I just say that I'm loving the cover? Particularly Bulletproof recreating what I already mentioned was my favorite Golden Age comic cover. :thumbup:

Me too! Storn is the best. If all works out as planned, the interior chapter pages will also be by him, with each being a swipe/homage to a famous GA cover redone with Champs Universe characters. Superman shaking dudes out of a car, Captain Marvel Jr. smashing a stone swastika, maybe a Spirit cover with words written down the side of a tenement building.