Golden Age Champions Discussion Thread

Darren Watts

Thedoree Roosevelt couldn't practice judo if he wanted to, with his polio weakend body and all (you need to be able to have good legs and moving hips to throw someone, even if your only redirecting there own momentum). Beyond that, why not?

Opps. Franklyn Roosevelt. Wrong president of the United States.

President Theodore Roosevelt was late for Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt's wedding because he was negotiating the end of the Russo-Japanese War.

Eleanor Roosevelt's maiden name was Roosevelt.  Franklin said one of the advantage of marrying him was she wouldn't have to change her stationary.

Interesting enough Theodore Roosevelt Jr., who would become a General in World War Two and receive the Medal of Honor for Utah Beach on D-Day, had a wife named Eleanor.

Hmmm... needs Field Studys:

*punches a Nazi*

*punches a Lizard*

"Naaaah not the same. More satisfying is Nazi punching"

Did you punch a humanoid lizard bent on conquering the surface world or did you just punch a regular lizard? Because if you punched a regular lizard, the ASPCA will want to have some words with you. :P

Oh, now that brings a question to mind... did the Defenders of Justice ever save President Roosevelt?

Sure, a few times. They were present when the Atlantic Charter was signed, saving both FDR and Churchill from Atlantean assassins. The Axis Legion tried to get him a couple of times, mostly for the morale hit we would have taken. Captain Patriot worked as his personal bodyguard a lot (he was one of my GM NPCs and I periodically needed to get him out of the story for a bit, as I disliked playing more than one at a time.) dw

Since you're having a section on sidekicks, will there be details in the way of building suggestions for both superpowered types and non-super types with at least one or two examples for each category you listed?

Yes, sort of, depending on what you mean by examples. Fictional ones discussed, yes,  but I don't walk through character creation of them except to say things like "the Derivative Kid should look a lot like their mentor, except a few DCs less power and lower skills", etc. This book presumes editorially that you know how to make characters in general and want to know more about the genre tropes.

There is a reimagining of iron fist A a two gun/two fisted noir hero on an international team during WwI.

I always mention atomic robo on these thread's currently he's fighting Japanese supersoldiers in occupied china with the help of his ex girlfriend the daughter of a masked mystery man (they were both trained in the mysterious orient in zen archery')

Now with a combination of Chinese bandits Russian tanks and they fight to defeat this Japanese super weapon that taps directly into the very stuff of the universe.

The current strip is pretty badass two gun zen archery in the middle of a weird science generator.

http://www.atomic-robo.com

Do you discuss Radium X much? I.e. what it is, where you can find it, what you can use it for (maybe with examples)?

Heh. No, not really, though it's mentioned in Liquidator's origin. Someday I will have to make a list of everything I've claimed Radium X can do in my home campaign- that sounds like a great sidebar for Silver Age. My current "science explorer" team in the Tuesday playtest group lives on a Pacific island notable for having piles of the stuff deep in its caves, and the company the natives formed to market it has become ludicrously wealthy, Wakanda-style. (One of the PCs also invented the CD in 1960, so that's our explanation for how they afford all their cool equipment.)

As I understand it, Golden Age characters are alittle one-trick ponies. (Not rhat I mind). So are you going to discuss the use of Power Skill in depth? I could be wrong but even in GA, didn't the Heroes sometimes used a one off power?

Maybe not so much one-trick ponies but (usually) having simpler power concepts than modern heroes - but I kind of like that.

Yes, sort of, depending on what you mean by examples. Fictional ones discussed, yes,  but I don't walk through character creation of them except to say things like "the Derivative Kid should look a lot like their mentor, except a few DCs less power and lower skills", etc. This book presumes editorially that you know how to make characters in general and want to know more about the genre tropes.

Sidekicks as PCs or NPCs/Followers?  (I often wonder ho many players could really pull off playing a sidekick to a full hero who was also a PC).

Sidekicks as PCs or NPCs/Followers? (I often wonder ho many players could really pull off playing a sidekick to a full hero who was also a PC).

A PC sidekick makes up in lower stats and powers with a few more useful perks and skills the hero does not posses. Need someone to get the kid gangs together to stop a third colomest? Kid Sidekick can use his contacts! Need a young girl to lure a criminal into a trap? Put a dress and wig on Kid Sidekick. Spoil Sport left a clue? Kid Sidekick has KS: Sports.

Well, that is suppose to be the traid off.

There are also kid heros in this time. Captain "Big Red Cheese" Marvel, Star Spangled Kid, Mary, Girl Of 100 Gimics, The Boy Comandos (questiable, since they could all be considered The Guardian's sidekicks).