Ultimate NINJA HERO resource!!!

Susano

Originally posted by Tclynch

Hey!

Did you see that in a theater or do you know someone who has a DVD/VHS copy? I'm curious as I was waiting for it to come out at theaters.:confused:

I found a HK import DVD in the used DVD bin of a CD/DVD store I requent. This same store has given up SPIRITED AWAY (A Japanese release not yet avalable here!), the 128 minute cut of THE STORM RIDERS, ZU: WARRIORS OF THE MAGIC MOUNTAIN, and RAN (all for under 14.00 each!).

Susano, just wondering if you, or anyone else for that matter has ever seen a movie called 'Deadly Life of a Ninja?" I believe it's also known as "Life of Ninja." Or am I and my old high-school buddies the only ones?

It's of course extremely cheesy with horrible dubbing. It will kill you! We used to make any new friends watch it as initition into our group.

Some highlights include:

1) The Japanese cops with Texas accents. "I recon we found our Ninjer."

2) The scene where a woman is assassinated in the shower. The hitman climbs into the room, opens a briefcase that is refregerated and is holding a large icicle. After he stabs her, it melts. Voila, no more murder weapon. Ingenious.

3)The scene where where two women ninjas, clad only in bikinis, mud wrestle as part of their grueling ninja training program.

4)After that, a giant Chinese wrestler gets shot head first through a bamboo wall with a giant rubber-band catapult, to toughen him up of course.

3) The scene in which a prostitute rides a john around the room like a horsey, slapping his but and screaming "heeyah."

4) A flashback scene of our main protagonist, thinking back to a checker game with his blind master, Ta Ge Ge (sp?). Outside the paper house, ninja's scale the walls. Ta Ge Ge senses this, and flings a checker through the paper window, killing the ninja.

5) At the end the big boss finally meets his dead arch-nemesis' pupil. In a very Groucho Marx voice he says, "So, ya rilly aaaare Taaaaa Geeeeee Geeeeee's Chiiiiiiiiiiiineese disciple. How are ya?"

You can actually even get it on Amazon!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005B6LJ/qid=1046584088/sr=8-7/ref=sr_8_7/102-0222978-6111377?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846

It's also at Blockbuster according to their website.

It funs to watch, if only for the laughs but there is a lot of fighting going on and even some wire stuff.

Great lines like this...

""To the Ninja only cowards use guns. Ninja is more than a way of life, it's a way of death!!"

Anyway, found another link to it on Amazon. Says release date 1987. The "Life of Ninja" ones are 1985. Maybe they rereleased it as "Deadly Life of a Ninja" later. Who knows.

http://s1.amazon.com/exec/varzea/ts/exchange-glance/Y02Y0451159Y9840574/qid=1046584642/sr=1-2/102-0222978-6111377#details

The cover has a blurb that reads "Live Killing Machines."

Good times indeed.

Originally posted by Susano

I found a HK import DVD in the used DVD bin o a CD/DVD store I requent. This same store has given up SPIRITED AWAY (A Japanese release not yet avalable here!), the 128 minute cut of THE STORM RIDERS, ZU: WARRIORS OF THE MAGIC MOUNTAIN, and RAN (all for under 14.00 each!).

DOH! Lucky Dog!:eek:

SHAOLIN SOCCER

You should also keep an eye out for "God of Cookery", another Stephen Chow film...

Other recommended HK flicks include "So Close" (girl buddy film / heist / techno-thriller with HK supermodels as the main cast members) and "Double Vision" (buddy cop film / horror with David Morse).

"Double Vision" gets points for the line delivered to David Morse... "In all your years in the FBI, you've never encountered a demon before?"

Re: Ultimate NINJA HERO resource!!!

I just watched SHAOLIN SOCCER.

Now I know what style the woman on page 76 uses.

If you can -- see this film. You might hurt yourself laughing, but it is worth every second.

This is a great film. I heard that Disney got the US rights, but I've also heard they are going to edit it, and worse, dub it. Best to get the DVD. I got mine here in NYC in Chinatown for 12 bucks. It was worth it.

I'd also reccomend some of the Mr. Vampire films, cause Hopping Vampires are just too cool :P

You might also want to check out a Japanese movie called "Versus". It's... well, unique and hard to describe. It starts with gunfighting with Yakuza thugs, moves into stuff with zombies, and winds up involving a clash of two godlike warriors. Violent, bloody, and very, very stylish.

Originally posted by Neko Ewen

You might also want to check out a Japanese movie called "Versus". It's... well, unique and hard to describe. It starts with gunfighting with Yakuza thugs, moves into stuff with zombies, and winds up involving a clash of two godlike warriors. Violent, bloody, and very, very stylish.

Yeah, Versus is great. Even more unique would be Wild Zero. Punk Rockers, zombies, aliens, and cross dressing. Great stuff :P

This thread has made me think about my favourite Kung Fu film from the 80's, "The man from Hong Kong." Total pish of course but there are a couple of great fight scenes, one in a Dojo another in a restraunt and kitchen. My favourite part is that one of the combatants hasbright yellow underwear on and splits his trousers up the middle during a fight scene. :D

I now wonder if that was super-subtle comedy or just a perfect accident?

I found a HK import DVD in the used DVD bin of a CD/DVD store I requent. This same store has given up SPIRITED AWAY (A Japanese release not yet avalable here!), the 128 minute cut of THE STORM RIDERS, ZU: WARRIORS OF THE MAGIC MOUNTAIN, and RAN (all for under 14.00 each!).

If you're in the San Francisco Bay Area, the Rasputin's in San Leandro, has a large selection of Martial Arts/Hong Kong movies. They aren't bargain prices by any means, but they do have them...

They also have an entire section of B/Shlock horror films...

Take care,

Harry

Guest Champsguy
Originally posted by Nato

Susano, just wondering if you, or anyone else for that matter has ever seen a movie called 'Deadly Life of a Ninja?" I believe it's also known as "Life of Ninja." Or am I and my old high-school buddies the only ones?

A friend of mine (Superskrull, actually) and I found this for 5 bucks in a Wal-Mart bin a few months ago. He bought it, but neither of us have bothered to watch it yet. Guess we will. :)

Jet Li's HERO...

Just got this movie on DVD. Plan on watching it soon as a double Jet Li feature with Swordsman 2. I saw Swordsman the other day, and it kicked ass. Really cool swordplay stuff. Definitely one for the Ninja Hero viewing list. Same with Butterfly & Sword too!

BTW, there is a comic company putting out trades of some HK comics. They have Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Storm Riders, Heaven Sword & Dragon Sabre (part of which was made into Kung Fu Colt Master/Kung Fu Cult Master, which Jet Li was in), and a few others. I downloaded a sample pdf, and it looks pretty neat.

http://www.comicsone.com is the site, if anyone is interested in checking it out

I have the first book of Saint Legend from that comic company. I'm planning on collecting Crouching Tiger and Dragon Sword, Heaven Sabre.

The Swordsman 2 is good stuff. Chaotic as all hell (like most Wuxia films from Ching Siu Tung) but quite fun. I also recommend Duel to the Death, Dragon Inn (Ching as fight choreographer) and Butterfly and Sword.

Originally posted by NuSoardGraphite

I have the first book of Saint Legend from that comic company. I'm planning on collecting Crouching Tiger and Dragon Sword, Heaven Sabre.

I want to get those two series for sure. Might also get some copies of Legendary Couple and Storm Riders

The Swordsman 2 is good stuff. Chaotic as all hell (like most Wuxia films from Ching Siu Tung) but quite fun. I also recommend Duel to the Death, Dragon Inn (Ching as fight choreographer) and Butterfly and Sword.

Butterfly and Sword I've seen twice before. Great stuff. Was Duel to the Death remade as The Duel in 2000 (with Ekin Chang and Andy Lau)? That one I have. Dragon Inn I still need to get.

Hero was pretty good. The fight scenes are not as long as they usually are, but they were pretty good. The story can be slightly confusing, but I think overall, it was a good picture. The fight scene between Jet Li and Donnie Yen was the best of the bunch.

Originally posted by urbwar

I want to get those two series for sure. Might also get some copies of Legendary Couple and Storm Riders

Doh! Forgot about Storm Riders! Can't forget that one...

Butterfly and Sword I've seen twice before. Great stuff. Was Duel to the Death remade as The Duel in 2000 (with Ekin Chang and Andy Lau)? That one I have. Dragon Inn I still need to get.

Nope, different movies. I haven't seen The Duel yet, but I plan on getting a copy sometime soon.

Hero was pretty good. The fight scenes are not as long as they usually are, but they were pretty good. The story can be slightly confusing, but I think overall, it was a good picture. The fight scene between Jet Li and Donnie Yen was the best of the bunch.

You...you've seen Hero?

I want to see that SOOOOO bad. Where did you see it at? Theatre? I haven't heard about it coming out yet...(it was released in Asia in December, right?)

For those of you not familiar with Hero:

http://www.herothemovie.com/trailer/m300k2.html

Its Jet Li's latest HK movie. He goes back to his roots and does a new WUXIA film! This one if from Zhang Zimou and it looks to be of the same caliber as CTHD. Also stars Zhang Ziyi, Maggie Chung and Donnie Yen. Check out the trailer above. Ching Siu Tung (Director of The Swordsman movies and Chinese Ghost Story films) does the Fight Choreography.

Doh! Forgot about Storm Riders! Can't forget that one...

Yeah, I loved that movie, so the comic should be pretty sweet

Nope, different movies. I haven't seen The Duel yet, but I plan on getting a copy sometime soon.

Duel is pretty good. Some nice special effects, though one character's main move sounds silly in English (something like 8 Fairy Stance or something like that)

You...you've seen Hero?

Yes, I watched it Wednesday night.

I want to see that SOOOOO bad. Where did you see it at? Theatre? I haven't heard about it coming out yet...(it was released in Asia in December, right?)

I saw it at home. To combat video piracy, they released it on DVD this month (VCD was in February). While I got my copy from a reliable ebay seller, it is on sale at various online retailers. http://www.hkflix.com or http://www.pokerindustries.com are two places I suggest getting it at. Maybe http://www.yesasia.com as well. Price is usually around 15-16 bucks, not including shipping.

HERO has some excellent, if short, fight sequences. The story is good, though not as good as CTHD. Sometimes it dragged in spots, and a few times it got a little confusing.

It was a beautiful film. The countryside, the costumes, just wonderful to behold. I can see why it got an oscar nomination for best foreign film.

It's use for Ninja Hero is a great. Some cool stunts in the fight scenes definitely. Donnie Yen vs Jet Li was a great fight scene, and worth the movie alone, imho :)

Well, I scored again!

CDepot had the following: THE DUEL, EXECUTIONERS, STORY OF RICKI, and A MAN CALLED HERO.

I grabbed THE DUEL as I am on a serious budget. I hope to watch it this weekend.

The Duel is a cool flick. I loved Dragon 9 (A james bond type) who provided some funny moments. Man called Hero is good too, but can drag at times. Let me know how Story of Ricki is; I haven't seen it yet. Don't know Executioners though; who is in it?