Helicopter Armament

bill_seney

that spall protection is only good should the shot NOT penetrate the vehicle(great vs squash warheads)
once penetration happens the spall liner is moot as the penatrator has defeated it

a lot of modern tanks and AFVs etc are fitted with a spall liner thats designed to mitigate the spall effects

I treat it as 50% RDR vrs spalling hits

yeah I pointed out some flaws in their weapon assumptions w/ projectile mounts vs real world data using Conway's naval ships 1922 to 1946
a brit 5" mount
somewhere the figured tech would get it down to 100kg

and lets not even talk about the differences in Laser output in megawatts in Classic Traveller versus whats in GURPS Traveller, this came up when I was writing the specs for various weapons in Traveller Hero

that spall protection is only good should the shot NOT penetrate the vehicle(great vs squash warheads)

once penetration happens the spall liner is moot as the penatrator has defeated it

thats also why I was debating making it a 50% reduction with an activation roll... or just a flat 50%, in that it doesnt always work.... or it doesnt stop all the damage

• 3 weeks later...

I just want to say that this is awesome stuff...as I'm still learning the system, I can't contribute to the theorycraft part of the discussion.

But I know weapons and explosives...master vampires should not be able to shrug off hellfire missiles. I know that the idea behind MHI is that the monsters are tougher...but they shouldn't be so tough that they can shrug off vehicular weaponry. The other point behind the MHI universe is that for the first time in history; our conventional weapons are at a technological level now where we can genuinely fight monsters on equal footing. I could see something like Lord Machado regenerating from a blast like that in about a day or so, but fire and heat are not particularly more effective against him/it either.

If you recall the lead-up to the battle for DeSoya Caverns, the other masters were more than willing to disregard the warnings that both Susan and Jager were offering them regarding modern weapons. And while even Jager might be a bit out of date with his knowledge (being a WWII "veteran"), Susan was and is right up to date with her knowledge of modern weaponry. The two of them knew to stay the hell out of that fight and rightfully so; though a lot of good hunters got killed that day, those masters got their asses handed to them, as they should have.

Anyway, MHI and that National Guard unit were only packing squad-based weaponry in that fight. The heaviest things that they had were man-portable anti-tank weapons and light AP mortars. The heavier munitions on gunships are enough to turn normal people into red paste. A couple of Hellfires should be able to put paid to a pack of "old fangs" in proper fashion; even with all of their regeneration. Unless the vampire is also casting rituals to protect itself, that kind of explosive force should be more than enough to put a master down. Hell...if they were packing a Carl Gustav; then that should have generated enough explosive force to separate a master's head from its body, so to speak.

But then what do I know...I'm still trying to figure this particular system out....

Ultimately, you're going to have to set the damage values at a point that is fun for your game.  Establish your own benchmarks, set your own damage, and don't worry about official stats.  In ages past, Hero was multiple similar game systems (Champions, Danger International, Fantasy Hero, etc).  Those were all combined together into the modern Hero System, but not all the material meshes exactly.

For instance, in an MHI game, gun lovers are encouraged to go hog wild with custom weapons and ammo.  Different guns have different stats to help distinguish them.  This gun will have +1 range modifier, that gun will have +1/2 D6 damage.  This other gun will have +2 OCV.  And then you get into the weird ammo and some of it is armor piercing and some of it is penetrating, etc.  You also start with a baseline where guns are lethal to normal humans.  You want to be able to blow somebody's head off with your giant hand cannon, so you're going to have higher base dice.  So then when you build a rocket or a missile, it needs to be much higher damage to really drive home the point that this is a heavy explosive.  Then to build a vehicle like a tank, you need to give it high defenses and make it hardened (or double hardened) so it can survive your handguns maybe your missiles.

In Champions, when a normal character can shrug off missiles and rip through tanks, it doesn't benefit to have 12D6 RKA Explosion missiles.  The power scale gets way out of hand, really fast.  It's not cool to need a guy with a 180 Str to kill a tank in a superhero game.  Weapons that have individual stats in an MHI game should probably be lumped together in a standard Champions game.  A Hellfire missile should probably be more like a 4D6 RKA than a 12D6 one.

These differences are not really a problem unless you want some sort of crossover value between the two games.  Or you look at a Champions tank and wonder why its so much weaker than an MHI or Dark Champions tank.  It's not supposed to be weaker, the scale is just compressed.