What would YOU find in an alien black market?

Pariah

I have to recommend keeping in mind the "black market" part of the request. Suggestions really ought to include reasons why said items wouldn't be freely available for trade, unless that's implicit in the description of them.

Bertrand Russell's old teapot.

Because some religious organizations are seeking it to destroy it....others to confiscate it as a holy relic

Escher's staircase.

Because Escher already reported it stolen

My faith in humanity.

An obvious counterfeit

Common sense

An obvious counterfeit

Occam's cordless electric.

It's illegal to sell it without the cord

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says there's some ridiculous limit on how many quoted blocks of text we can use!!!

With my luck I'd find a nice little memento. I'd be curious why it was on the black market but since I was shopping there I'd probably just figure it was stolen and somehow be ok with that for the moment.

It would have an alien virus on it that I was unaware of and basically wipe out all life on earth when I got back.

Not sure I haven't already contracted it this week to be honest...

I have to recommend keeping in mind the "black market" part of the request. Suggestions really ought to include reasons why said items wouldn't be freely available for trade, unless that's implicit in the description of them.

I was thinking of something similar; only it'd be alien aphrodisiacs made from certain body parts taken from kidnapped

human beings (I leave it to the readers to guess which parts in particular the makers of the aphrodisiacs use to create

their concoctions).

Major Tom 2009 :eg:

Hair, fingernails, and blood. The aliens are disappointed to discover however that the alchemical preparation only makes them attractive to Humans.

Xenomorph sex toys.

Banned along with anything else that encourages Xenomorph sex.

An aquamarine power ring.

Sold covertly because the Aqua Marines don't like other people having their rings, and don't care for counterfeits floating around either, so real or not it's not safe to wear publicly... 

A Martian named Marvin

He's just here shopping

Fermat's proof that was too large to fit into the margin.

Not for sale - written in bits and pieces here and there around the market as graffiti. 

The Star Trek Enterprise.

Drive it like you stole it - because someone did.

Lucius Alexander

And an unauthorized palindromedary

A wormhole weapon.

Something that devastating would most likely be offered at a special invitation-only auction; but weapons would surely be part of a general black market, particularly weapons so horrifying in their effects that civilized societies had outlawed them: chemical, biological, radioactive, or nanotech anti-personnel weapons.

(BTW am I the only one taking this topic seriously?) :think:

This might be closer to what Pariah was looking for--

Zappers--The "Saturday Night Specials" of laser blasters.  Cheaply manufactured and usually sold in quantity for fast money, these directed-energy weapons are infamous through the interstellar underworld for their low cost and lack of reliability.  Ranging from small-sized that fit easily in the palm of a hand with only a few shots in the power cell, to heavier two-handed models with high-capacity power cells capable of rapid fire--not to mention capable of exploding if discharged at too high a rate of fire for too long.

The primary customers for zappers are street gangs looking for high levels of disposable firepower at a moment's notice, or any other groups that are truly violent, exceedingly desperate, or both.  Needless to say, zappers are highly illegal, even on worlds where personal weapons possession is freely tolerated, and possession of one is punishable by fines or imprisonment.

Something that devastating would most likely be offered at a special invitation-only auction; but weapons would surely be part of a general black market, particularly weapons so horrifying in their effects that civilized societies had outlawed them: chemical, biological, radioactive, or nanotech anti-personnel weapons.

(BTW am I the only one taking this topic seriously?) :think:

Mine was mostly serious.  

I admit this thread has been playing out more like a flea market or second hand store than a black market, at least, the black markets I've read about. (In just-occupied Berlin, the black market was in just about anything, and the most common "currency" was cigarettes. I remember reading that a good notebook and a pair of new pens were a significant black market purchase for those attending university.)

Brain implants that can be used to remotely incapacitate or "reward" recipients

Psi-enhancing drugs

Proscribed books (religious texts?)

Stolen robots

Fissionables

Space whale ambergris.  Space whales are an endangered species, you know.

Translator programs for languages spoken on interdicted planets

Recordings of broadcasts from interdicted planets

Intoxicants from the Enemy Empire

Precursor artifacts that belong in a museum

Pre-owned cyborg parts.

I admit this is thread has been playing out more like a flea market or second hand store than a black market, at least, the black markets I've read about. (In just-occupied Berlin, the black market was in just about anything, and the most common "currency" was cigarettes. I remember reading that a good notebook and a pair of new pens were a significant black market purchase for those attending university.)

That's the thing about the black market. It can often deal in mundane items that are simply scarce or more expensive than people can pay. The number one pirated commodity in the US is a knock-off Tide detergent

Those observations about black-market items are excellent points. However, the mundane things tend to be less interesting from a story perspective, and don't really play up the "alien" part of the topic. OTOH posters in the thread have already hinted at substances which are mundane to other races, but which have exotic effects on humans.