Name/theme for character w/ size powers UAO

Rebar

I've been toying around with a kind of cool concept, but I don't have a name, or a unifying theme.

Imagine having the power to touch something and make it grow or shrink for a limited duration. (yeah, yeah. Insert jokes here.)

So, a bank robbery is in progress, and the hero picks up a pencil from the desk. He throws it just as he grows it to six feet long (and 200 kg).

He shrinks a car to the size of a dinky toy and puts it in someone's pocket, letting it return to full size (and mass) after a minute.

He picks up a calculator and grows it to 3 feet, just in time to use it as a shield to stop a bullet.

Can you think of a theme? Or a name? (It's easy to come up with dumb names for this one (The Incredible Embiggener!), not so easy to come up with cool names.) I figure, rather than a literal reference to his power, it might involve some sort of colourful theme.

This is inspired by a friend considering running a game after seeing Dr. Strange.

As I think through the details, I refine the idea.

At first I thought "OK, cannot use his power on anything living - that would be way too powerful".

Or - maybe I could make a more fluid limit: the ability is limited by complexity. A pencil is easy. An ant - or any living creature - would be very difficult. A human would be beyond his ability. (I see a Power skill roll here)

I'd define the power with a delay and a duration.

So, he could decide that something he wants to throw has a one second duration - long enough to throw and hit his opponent, then shrink again.

Or he could decide that hte car should stay shrunk for one minute, then return to its normal size.

It's one of those powers whose manifestation is limited only by one's imagination, so surely it would have to be a Cosmic Power Pool.

Though, if on a CP budget, maybe I could use a MP, and just think of a dozen or so common mechanics, and leave the rest to Special Effects.

I've already come up with his secret ID name: Dwayne Wackson.

(Wackson, Dwayne - say it out loud :winkgrin: )

Hank Pym (Ant-Man/Yellowjacket) did that for a while during his run with the West Coast Avengers while he was between hero ID's. No costume, just a jumpsuit with lots of pockets to hold all the usefull items & equptment he'd shrunk beforehand. I think that's where they got the idea for the tank keychain in the movie.

Write it up as a small VPP with a list of say 20 or so everyday items. An armored car down to handcuffs.

Does the name have to reference the hero's power?

Assuming yes, you could do it semi-hip-hop and name him Biggie Smalls. Or prehaps Smallie Biggs. You could also name him Doctor Enlarger (like Doctor Shrinker, but oppisit, including a heroic streak). Mabie Tiny Dancer?

In Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, there is Goo Goo Doll, which shrinks people.

Assuming no, then play up the gadgetearing side and name him Doctor Pockets.

Dwayne could have been imbued with a tiny fragment of neutronium (extremely dense matter composed mostly of neutrons), either through a laboratory accident (if you want him to be a scientist), or a random meteorite impact. The neutronium allows him to change the size/mass of an object through act of will, but he has to be able to visualize the complete shape and composition of the object. The more complex it is, the harder to visualize it accurately.

The word "oscillator" means something that either goes through repeated changes from one extreme state to its opposite, or causes such changes. I could see a scientist in particular taking such a code-name. For something a little catchier (and punnier), how about "The Oscillot?" ;)

Hank Pym (Ant-Man/Yellowjacket) did that for a while during his run with the West Coast Avengers while he was between hero ID's. No costume, just a jumpsuit with lots of pockets to hold all the usefull items & equptment he'd shrunk beforehand. I think that's where they got the idea for the tank keychain in the movie.

Write it up as a small VPP with a list of say 20 or so everyday items. An armored car down to handcuffs.

Yes but my envisionment of the power is that he does not have that much control. He decides - upon touching it - how long it will stay resized. Thereafter, it's out of his control.

He can shrink a car for X seconds, or X minutes, or whatever he decides - but at the end of that time, it will wear off.

It's a "fire and forget" power.

Embiggener

Hah. Beat you to it.

Does the name have to reference the hero's power?

No! In fact, that's what I'm asking for ideas about. A bigger unifying concept.

Dwayne could have been imbued with a tiny fragment of neutronium (extremely dense matter composed mostly of neutrons), either through a laboratory accident (if you want him to be a scientist), or a random meteorite impact. The neutronium allows him to change the size/mass of an object through act of will, but he has to be able to visualize the complete shape and composition of the object. The more complex it is, the harder to visualize it accurately.

The word "oscillator" means something that either goes through repeated changes from one extreme state to its opposite, or causes such changes. I could see a scientist in particular taking such a code-name. For something a little catchier (and punnier), how about "The Oscillot?" ;)

I like The Oscillator.  :yes:

Augmentum

Flux

Mr. Shift

Modifactor

Reducto

Formus

Transformus

X-Shape

X-Frame

X-Pect

Matcaster

Meta-Morph

The Mutationer

Temper Man

Redo Man

Revo Man

The Figurine

Transmuto

Mr. Matterwarp

Whitekeys

Take your pick! Personal favourites are probably Flux and Mr. Matterwarp. Not sure on the rest of his concept or personality, though.

Sometimes I find it easier to figure out the personality and feel of a character before naming them, cos it can be the key to the underlying concept- and helps narrow down what they're likely to call themselves... depending on the tone of the campaign.

Is he a Columbo-style slovenly magical detective, with pockets full of useful stuff that he unhurriedly rummages through in the midst of battle? (Just a nice colourful surname would do, or one that loosely alludes to his powers, eg. Packer, Speck, Crumb, Gulliver)

Is he an obsessively meticulous maths obessive also capable of super-accurate estimates of size and weight, who imposes his re-calculations on reality? (The Reckoner, Fraction, Determinator)

Are his powers due to being a descendent of a trickster god, and he honours his ancestor by quietly stealing a little of what he shrinks, so it never quite fits again? (pick a Trickster figure: Kid Coyote, Puck, Reynard)

Is she a small, quiet, shy small town girl whose powers developed from a latent wish-fulfillment ability after she moved into a cramped big city apartment? (Smallsville, Speck, Pint-Size, Bitsy, Lilliput)

Ned

I have a hero in 5th ed with size change powers called MinMax.

Haha! The GM would love that!

He accuses me of being a min/maxer (I've never understood why. My best guess is that I like math. And I know the game better than anyone in my group. My characters are always well thought out point-wise, origin-wise and concept-wise.)

Sometimes I find it easier to figure out the personality and feel of a character before naming them, cos it can be the key to the underlying concept- and helps narrow down what they're likely to call themselves... depending on the tone of the campaign.

Is he a Columbo-style slovenly magical detective, with pockets full of useful stuff that he unhurriedly rummages through in the midst of battle? (Just a nice colourful surname would do, or one that loosely alludes to his powers, eg. Packer, Speck, Crumb, Gulliver)

Is he an obsessively meticulous maths obessive also capable of super-accurate estimates of size and weight, who imposes his re-calculations on reality? (The Reckoner, Fraction, Determinator)

Are his powers due to being a descendent of a trickster god, and he honours his ancestor by quietly stealing a little of what he shrinks, so it never quite fits again? (pick a Trickster figure: Kid Coyote, Puck, Reynard)

Is she a small, quiet, shy small town girl whose powers developed from a latent wish-fulfillment ability after she moved into a cramped big city apartment? (Smallsville, Speck, Pint-Size, Bitsy, Lilliput)

Ned

This is the kind of thing I'm trying to drum up.

I'm sort of building this character out-of-order.

Now that I've got a concept, I should return and build out the person and origin, and from that will naturally come the name.

Hah! Great Secret ID names!

Lilly Put

Bob Dingnag! We have a winner!

Even better than mine.

• 2 weeks later...

It is a VPP probably with the limitation OIF 'objects of opportunity'.  Mind you the problem there is that you might want to do more than one thing at once.  That 'toy' car in the villain's pocket is going to be a problem if you need to throw a pencil at someone.  Add in 'whole objects only', if I were you, and define a minimum and maximum size you can affect, perhaps based on what the active points in the framework could move if they were all put into TK (in that you might want to move a boulder out of the way by shrinking it, and you don't want to be able to move a bigger object than you could with the power used as TK (or arguably STR if you need to touch it).

Also you want a minimum size so you can't just conjure stuff by increasing the size of dust in the air.