News From High Rock Press

Sketchpad

Spotted on the Hero Games FB Page:

https://highrockpress.com/blogs/news/high-rock-press-production-schedule-2

Production Schedule

Below is the production schedule for High Rock Press over the next year or so. Sorry we couldn’t post it in a more attractive manner, but it should be informative enough! A few notes. The term “track” means a crowdfunding method. “Track One” refers to the High Rock press Kickstarter account, which will be used for “big” projects of between $20,000 and $40,000. “Track Two” refers to the old Blackwyrm Publishing Kickstarter account, which will be used for “small” projects of between $3,000 and $5,000. “Track Three” refers to the as-of-yet untested Shopify Crowdfunding Manager, and will be used mostly for non-gaming projects of a modest nature.

Projects will be approached in a quarterly manner. Ideally we won’t have to crowdfund all of them, and we reserve the right to shift and change the schedule at any time. Undoubtedly, some projects won’t work out for artistic or legal reasons, while others may get replaced should a more lucrative project arise. Some may take longer – possibly a LOT longer – to produce than we estimate. However, to the best of our ability, we will work within the schedule as presented.

2016 Q4

[Track One] Darren Watts’s Golden Age Champions: The Golden Age, beginning in 1938, created and defined the very idea of superheroics, and now the legendary superhero roleplaying game Champions has its definitive guide to this amazing era! Written by longtime Hero System designer Darren Watts, author of titles such as Champions Universe, Millennium City, UNTIL, Hidden Lands, Vibora Bay, and (along with Jason Walters) the infamous Lucha Libre Hero, this massive book will provide full coverage of the Golden Age subgenre, before, during and after World War II.

[Track Two] Michael Surbrook’s Ghosts, Ghouls, and Golems is a roleplyaing game guide to these darkness-dwelling creatures of folklore and myth for the Hero System, Savage Worlds, and Mutants & Masterminds. Emphasis has been placed on presenting these creatures as close to their traditional descriptions as possible, although a few “cinematic,” Hollywood-inspired versions of some of the more popular entries are included. In this book you will find information on vampires, lycanthropes, ghosts, ghouls, wights, and zombies, as well as more obscure creatures like the old hag and the witiko. In addition, there are dozens of character sheets, each representing a basic creature template you can further customize as desired. Finally, there are a number of character sheets for such infamous beings a Dracula, Jack the Ripper, and the Beast of Le Gévaudan.

[Track Three] Scott Bennie’s The Last Orc: An exceedingly good fantasy novel by veteran fantasy author Scott Bennie.

2017 Q2

[Track One] Ian Harac’s Sea of Worlds: The patchwork metropolis known as Flotsam sits upon what can only be described as a sea of colored glass, known as the Sea of Worlds. Seemingly infinite, it spreads out in all directions from Flotsam. Throughout the Sea, there are pools of luminescence, portals which lead to other worlds, worlds not yet dead. The inhabitants of Flotsam travel to, and through, these portals, bringing back everything Flotsam cannot supply for itself. Without the constant flow of food and raw materials from dozens of other worlds, Flotsam would starve. A “Spelljammer-Meets-Planescape” setting for 13th Age with electronic information for Pathfinder and Dungeon & Dragons 5th Edition

[Track Two] Champions Character Creation Cards: Make a balanced, 400-point Champions character in less than one minute with this deck of cards! Then, using a character pack, upload the cards into Hero Designer so that you can print out or modify your character. Great for introducing new players to Champions!

[Track Three] Jason Walters’s Hammurabi: A competitive storytelling game of empire building at the dawn of civilization.

2017 Q4

[Track One] Danger International: updated for the 21st Century, this classic game of espionage and spy-craft for the Hero System 6th Edition/Champions will focus on spies that operate at the “superhero” level of James Bond, Jason Bourne, and Man from UNCLE.

[Track Two] Aaron Allston’s Strike Force Organizations: For the first time in a quarter century Aaron Allston’s M.E.T.E., The Circle, and The Blood will be updated and made available for Champions/Hero System 6th Edition.

[Track Three] Melanie McClenahan’s Doesn’t Everyone Have Sex At Funerals? Alternately amusing, touching, and disturbing, author and blogger Melanie McClenahan takes you on a whirlwind tour of her life, travels, and observations about human nature.

2018 Q2

[Track One] Champions Villains Four: Organizations will include brief chapters on such well-known groups as VIPER and DEMON, as well as a variety of new evil organizations contributed by the very best in Champions authors!

[Track Two] Michael Satran’s Imperial Throne: A new setting and adventure book from Michael Satran

[Track Three] Brad Parnell’s Legend of Gwerinatha: Young adult fiction written and illustrated by Brad Parnell

2018 Q4

[Track One] Invictus! A collection of unique superheroic mini-settings for Champions written by the very best authors in roleplaying.

[Track Two] Jason Walters’s Santa Muerte: Santa Muerte is a supernatural city that lies on an island in the middle of the Rio Grande.... mostly. It is linked to the shore by narrow stone bridges that mysteriously appear and disappear, depending on the whims of the heretic saints that rule it. From a distance Santa Muerte appears to be a small village surrounding a church on a hill. However, once inside of the village, it reveals itself to be a city impossibly larger than the one viewed from the shore...

A police procedural Champions setting from veteran Hero System author Jaosn Walters’s

[Track Three] Melanie McClenahan’s Do-It-Yourself Tarot Deck: Teach yourself the Tarot while giving actual readings! Original artwork on one side, instructions on included tarot mat.

Some great stuff in the pipe!

Darren Watts’s Golden Age Champions: I bought it through KS (but still miffed we missed the full colour mark)

Michael Surbrook’s Ghosts, Ghouls, and Golems: Sounds interesting. Probable buy.

Champions Character Creation Cards: Super interesting. Intrigue by how it will work. I still believe the Superhero Gallery in Champions 6E was great and that it should have been in Champions Complete. It should also be availble through Hero Designer. This is a buy.

Danger International: Buy!.

Aaron Allston’s Strike Force Organizations: Buy!

Champions Villains Four: Organizations: Buy! 

Michael Satran’s Imperial Throne: Potential buy.

Invictus! Potential buy.

Jason Walters’s Santa Muerte: Probable buy.

I believe one of the Champions books (6th ed, IIRC) has tables in the back for semi-random characters.

Champions 6E has the Superhero Gallery which is a pick and choose, non-random type charater creation. Steve Long has also published the Expanded Superhero Gallery.

Champions 5E has the Superhuman Quick Generator which is random/semi-random. 

Champions 6E has the Superhero Gallery which is a pick and choose, non-random type charater creation. Steve Long has also published the Expanded Superhero Gallery.

Champions 5E has the Superhuman Quick Generator which is random/semi-random. 

Ah, thanks, DreadDomain. I must have been thinking about the 5e book.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So looking forward to [Track Two] Aaron Allston’s Strike Force Organizations: For the first time in a quarter century Aaron Allston’s M.E.T.E., The Circle, and The Blood will be updated and made available for Champions/Hero System 6th Edition.

However, I don't see why learning a real Tarot deck is even being mentioned in a superhero game system.

So looking forward to [Track Two] Aaron Allston’s Strike Force Organizations: For the first time in a quarter century Aaron Allston’s M.E.T.E., The Circle, and The Blood will be updated and made available for Champions/Hero System 6th Edition.

However, I don't see why learning a real Tarot deck is even being mentioned in a superhero game system.

The Tarot Deck was part of the announcements from HRP. Never know if it might be of interest for other Herophiles, not to mention that Hero is more than just a superhero system. 

I'm a game'aholic so here is my list

Yes -      Darren Watts’s Golden Age Champions

Yes -      Michael Surbrook’s Ghosts, Ghouls, and Golems

Maybe - Champions Character Creation Cards

Yes -      Danger International

Yes -      Aaron Allston’s Strike Force Organizations

Yes -      Champions Villains Four: Organizations

Maybe - Michael Satran’s Imperial Throne

Yes -      Invictus!

Maybe - Jason Walters’s Santa Muerte

Darren Watts’s Golden Age Champions: Big YES!

Michael Surbrook’s Ghosts, Ghouls, and Golems: Yes, but I was really hoping to see the Kazei Five expansion instead.

Ian Harac’s Sea of Worlds: Maybe. Not sure.

Champions Character Creation Cards: Big YES!

Danger International: Even Bigger YES! I want it NOW! Take my money!

Aaron Allston’s Strike Force Organizations: Yes!

Champions Villains Four: Organizations: Yes!

Michael Satran’s Imperial Throne: Yes, but I'm fine with waiting.

Invictus!: Yes, but I'm fine with waiting.

Jason Walters’s Santa Muerte: Big YES! I wish it was coming out sooner!

I can't wait for Danger International! I loved this when it originally came out!

It was the game that got me started on Hero. I mostly ran spy campaigns at the time it came out and wasn't totally happy with Top Secret S.I. so a friend who had Champions pointed it out to me. So, yeah, nice to see it may finally be coming back.

• 3 weeks later...

Darren Watts’s Golden Age Champions: Big YES!

Michael Surbrook’s Ghosts, Ghouls, and Golems: Yes, but I was really hoping to see the Kazei Five expansion instead.

Ian Harac’s Sea of Worlds: Maybe. Not sure.

Champions Character Creation Cards: Big YES!

Danger International: Even Bigger YES! I want it NOW! Take my money!

Aaron Allston’s Strike Force Organizations: Yes!

Champions Villains Four: Organizations: Yes!

Michael Satran’s Imperial Throne: Yes, but I'm fine with waiting.

Invictus!: Yes, but I'm fine with waiting.

Jason Walters’s Santa Muerte: Big YES! I wish it was coming out sooner!

The Kazei 5 expansion is like 90% done. I just need to complete editing the scenario and write a few essays.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm hopeful about VV4: Organizations. Champions has always had a strong spot for paramilitary criminal orgs, and untill 6ed, were extremely strong. May I ask, beyond VIPER, DEMON, IHA, and ARGENT, which other groups will be in it? I made a small list, and could only name eight groups, two of them squarely in the Dark Champions domain, one of them a legality existing branch of VIPER, and another a fractured remains of a once great criminal/terrorist organization which no longer (offically) exists.

You might have missed the "new evil organizations" part of the CV 4 announcement above. ;)

Although the current CU is actually doing pretty well on that front. Besides VIPER, DEMON, ARGENT and the IHA, we have the Circle of the Scarlet Moon (which was officially put in CV 2 as a "villain team," but I would argue is much more an "organization"); the Cult of the Red Banner (substantially detailed in Martial Enemies Vol. 2 -- and there are four other cults to the Dragon mentioned in The Mystic World); Bastion Alpha Security and ICON (both written up in Cops, Crews, And Cabals). Then there are the more regional groups, such as Canada's Hunter-Patriots (from Champions Of The North); Britain's Dark Druids (the followers of Cairngorm, from CV Vol. 3); India's Black Tiger Society, and the Pan-African Brotherhood (both described in relation to their supervillain members, in Champions Wordwide).

BTW one of those Draconic cults, Ouroboros, got a fair-sized write-up in The Ultimate Super Mage, and a fully-statted associated supervillain team in Digital Hero #4, so would be pretty easy to update.