Naming Computer Code Robot Character

whitekeys

I recently came up with an idea for a robotic/android superhero. 

The story goes, a highly evolved form of Artificial Intelligence was capable of emotions, perceiving and interpreting the things around it, deciding what was right and wrong, etc. At some point, it became totally disillusioned with the human race and the state of the world that it was living in, and decided to commit digicide (computer suicide). BUT... before it deleted its own code, it built a large andriod as a kind of "saviour" to the human race, hoping that would help, but still feeling incapable of stomaching the potential failure. The andriod was capable of transforming different parts of its body to be a nigh-unstoppable evil-fighting machine, and had a transformable human form.

I need help with:

1. Coming up with a better word for digicide. Codicide? Robocide? There might already be a word in standard use for this act, but I don't know it.

2. Coming up with a name for the super-saviour-android Hero. I wanted something computer-code-like, that has something to do with protecting, saving, failsafes, fixing, debugging, cleaning, defragmenting, etc. But I'm not a computer programmer, so I'm not familiar with the lingo.

Thanks in advance!

1. Coming up with a better word for digicide. Codicide? Robocide? There might already be a word in standard use for this act, but I don't know it.

You could work off of the old Tron term, Derezzed.  Autoderesolution? 

2. Coming up with a name for the super-saviour-android Hero. I wanted something computer-code-like, that has something to do with protecting, saving, failsafes, fixing, debugging, cleaning, defragmenting, etc. But I'm not a computer programmer, so I'm not familiar with the lingo.

For a name, I'd suggest some cool-sounding acronym.  Programming in general and computer security really love their acronyms and abbreviations.  Something like A.C.E.S (Anthropomorphized Cybernetic Enforcer of Safety).

1: Self terminate? If you allow AIs to philosophically be 'people' then assume suicide works fine for them.

2:

Possibility 1, based around the idea of something that can solve non-computable problems.  Such a 'computer' can be called and 'oracle machine' or 'hyper computer', that is, the savior machine would be able to do something the 'parent' machine could not computer.

so Oracle, or maybe Hyperion

Possibility 2:

Ideas relating to the second law of thermodynamics, 'that eevrything runs down' and how to get around it:

Maxwell's Demon (also appropriate because 'running in the background' processes in UNIX are 'daemons'

If you've read The Last Question 'AC"

Idea's related to the reversability of the 'arrow of time', can get you things like 'Maxwell's Archer'

Possibility 3:

Reference to the people you call on when things go wrong:

SU (super user) the administrator -> SUE

Magi / Guru  (believe both have been used to refer to 'the computer guy' who you call to fix the problem)

Zen Master / (wo)Man in Saffron Old tech support humor

(the) Implementor (what Zork and possiblity earlier games sometimes referred to the game programmers as)

You could work off of the old Tron term, Derezzed.  Autoderesolution? 

For a name, I'd suggest some cool-sounding acronym.  Programming in general and computer security really love their acronyms and abbreviations.  Something like A.C.E.S (Anthropomorphized Cybernetic Enforcer of Safety).

Since Autoderesolution, or Autoderezzed seemed a bit awkward to say, I thought I'd split it into two words, for better rhythm. Autogenous Deresolution or Autonomous Deresolution. Great suggestion! Not familiar with Tron.

Since Autoderesolution, or Autoderezzed seemed a bit awkward to say, I thought I'd split it into two words, for better rhythm. Autogenous Deresolution or Autonomous Deresolution. Great suggestion! Not familiar with Tron.

I think Autonomous would be the more appropriate word (at least, its what I was thinking of originally). 

If you're interested, the first movie might be worth checking out if you're into retro-80s sci-fi.  The sequel was pretty but full of even more plot issues than the original.  To be fair, though, the Tron aesthetic has always been its greatest feature.

I recently came up with an idea for a robotic/android superhero. 

The story goes, a highly evolved form of Artificial Intelligence was capable of emotions, perceiving and interpreting the things around it, deciding what was right and wrong, etc. At some point, it became totally disillusioned with the human race and the state of the world that it was living in, and decided to commit digicide (computer suicide). BUT... before it deleted its own code, it built a large andriod as a kind of "saviour" to the human race, hoping that would help, but still feeling incapable of stomaching the potential failure. The andriod was capable of transforming different parts of its body to be a nigh-unstoppable evil-fighting machine, and had a transformable human form.

I need help with:

Thanks in advance!

Re Story:

I actually had a variant on this, using the Loa from Sword of the Stars (I wrote about them over on the Alien Collectors Thread in Star Hero Forum). Basically story went:

Loa are a "post rebellious" AI Species. Thier name literally just means "Spirit" and they consider themself to be "naturally evolved" as much as the humans that created them.

Loa was stranded on earth. Joined a superhero team.

At start the members were a bit distrustfull. So they installed a keyword wich could take complete control of the body for a short while.

The Loa grew in personality, but the word stayed active

A villian found out. Used it to turn the Loa on it's team.

The Team prevailed, subdued both villain and Loa.

As the Loa had not been aware of that failsafe amd might feel hurt/violated for installing it, they tried to alter it's memory using the same technique

Same technique no longer worked. Loa was understandably really pissed and turned it's back on Heroing and really any human contact.

Fast Forward a decade or so:

Loa without Social Contact go insane, similar to how a normal human would.

Loa feels it's sanity slipping. Does not want it to end that way.

There are two reproduction ways for Loa: Mingling (with ohters of it's kind) or Fission (splitting off a part of itself).

Being unable to rejoin humanity as it is now, it splits off the part of itself still interested without the bad precedent into a seperate Loa.

While the new Fission Loa starts heroing, the old one (now without any positive tendencies towards humanity/organics) quickly becomes a secret villain. And does not interact will with it's "Offspring".

Re 1. Suicide:

Sui- means self

-cide means murder

So suicide fits, regardless of the Form the existence had.

Re 2. If Transistor pointed anything out to me, then that just putting the () brakets behind a word let's it look more "Codified". The Archievement page shows that nicely: http://steamcommunity.com/stats/237930/achievements/

It also taught me that true Programmers Humor can not be understood or copied by non-programmers. Sorry, but it will usually fall short. Few people will even understand that Transistor saying "Hello World"* at one point has a deeper meaning.

Stuff like naming one Character Reisz (a possibly anagramm of Resize with one e missing*). Even noticing that without knowing how Resize might mater is impossible.

*Asuming there is a thing for "Anagramms using only the unique letters", 'helowrd' would be the letters for Hello World.

I also want to point out that Transistor is a really nice game. Definitely worth playing. You propably way to buy the OST too.

It also taught me that true Programmers Humor can not be understood or copied by non-programmers. Sorry, but it will usually fall short. Few people will even understand that Transistor saying "Hello World"* at one point has a deeper meaning.

Stuff like naming one Character Reisz (a possibly anagramm of Resize with one e missing*). Even noticing that without knowing how Resize might mater is impossible.

While this is true, having people notice may not be the only purpose of utilizing a naming technique such as this. Personally, whether people know or not, it gives me a sense of meaning and a sense of thematic congruity when techniques like this are used. Furthermore, it may become apparent later on; it may still be meaningful long after you first came into contact with it.

"What's your name, anyway?"

“I was not named by my creator."

"...What am I supposed to call you, then?"

"If you were to follow the human protocol of referencing untitled poems and lyrics by their first line, then my name would be ([init:001]-[defcrit remnant]) as that is the first line of my code. Otherwise, I have been given many names, titles, and epithets from the Autochthons of this world. Would you like me to list them?"

"Um... Sure?"

"Some in the geographic territory known as South America refer to me as Salvar. Others call me Kynnyksella. Still more call me Hypereos and Pelastus. I have been called Christ, a Saviour, a Messiah, and many permutations of these titles. I have been called the Codebody and the Codebeing. Knowers of my creator, the Oracle of Rhodes, call me ORC*, or simply Remnant. Perhaps you will determine a title for me yourself."

* Oracle's Remnant Code