Need help determining the rPD/rED of some creatures

dco

Hello, I'm new here, just bought the game one week ago, it's great but I'm having some problems. There are some things I don't understand about the total PD/ED of some creatures, not sure if they are wrong (is there any file with all the errata?) or if I'm missing something:

Zombie

4PD c=9  Total: 4PD(4rPD)
2ED c=3  Total: 2ED (2rED)
Zombie's body --> 2PD c=4 only slashing or piercing (-1/2)
Zombie's body --> 2PD c=3 only piercing (-1)
Zombie's body --> Resistant (+1/2) 8PD/2ED c=15

Does it work this way? 8rPD against piercing, 6rPD against slashing, 4rPD/2rED against the rest.

Why not 4PD against piercing (-1) and 2PD against slashing (-1)? To save points? 

Wight

8PD c=6  Total: 8PD(6rPD)
8ED c=6  Total: 8ED (6rED)
Wight's body --> 2PD c=1 only slashing or piercing (-1/2)
Wight's body --> 2PD c=1 only piercing (-1)
Wight's body --> Resistant (+1/2) 10PD/6ED c=8

I'm lost here, I can only think on 2 options:

- 12PD/10rPD against piercing, 10rPD against slashing, 8rPD/6rED against the rest.

-  Wights body --> Resistant (+1/2) 6PD/6ED c=6?

Minotaur

12PD c=10  Total: 12PD(3rPD)
 8ED c=6   Total:  8ED(3rED)
Hide --> Resistant (+1/2) 12PD/8ED c=10

¿¿??

Burrower

6PD c=15  Total: 14PD(12rPD)
3ED c=6   Total: 11ED(10rED)
Burrower's body --> 2PD c=4 only slashing or piercing (-1/2)
Burrower's body --> 2PD c=3 only piercing (-1)
Burrower's body --> Resistant (+1/2) 8PD/2ED c=15
Armor plating --> Resistant protection 8PD/8ED c=48 activation roll 11- (-1/2)

8rPD/8rED rolling (11-) + (10PD/8rPD against piercing,  8rPD against slashing, 6rPD/3ED/2rED against the rest) ???

14rPD instead of 12?

Gargoyle

This is not important, only related to cost, the damage negation is a defensive power and standard power, but it doesn't get multiplied by 3 as the Takes no stun power says.

Shoggoth

Something is missing here, the rest of monsters have claws, not claw I and claw II as powers, this one has Mouth I, Mouth II, Mouth III, Hand I, Hand II, Hand III, each three of them exactly the same. It seems it should make more than one attack per phase but there is no multiattack.

How have you used the Shoggoth in your games?

1 attack or multiattack of mouths+hands or multiattack of mouths or multiattack of hands or 3mouths+3hands at the base OCV or 3 mouths at the base OCV or 3 hands at the base OCV ?

Another question, do you add EGO/5 to Mental defense?

Thanks for your help.

Zombie

4PD c=9  Total: 4PD(4rPD)
2ED c=3  Total: 2ED (2rED)
Zombie's body --> 2PD c=4 only slashing or piercing (-1/2)
Zombie's body --> 2PD c=3 only piercing (-1)
Zombie's body --> Resistant (+1/2) 8PD/2ED c=15
Does it work this way? 8rPD against piercing, 6rPD against slashing, 4rPD/2rED against the rest.

Why not 4PD against piercing (-1) and 2PD against slashing (-1)? To save points?

Looks like editing or building errors

Assume it's:

Basic PD : 2 (cost = 0)

Basic ED : 2 (cost = 0)

Vs everything: (PD: 4/4, ED: 2/2)

+2 rPD (cost = 3)

2 points of PD made fully resistant (cost = 1)

2 points of ED made fully resistant (cost = 1)

Vs piercing or slashing (-1/2) (PD: 6/6, ED: 2/2)

+ 2 rPD (cost = 2) (3/1.5 = 2)

vs piercing only (-1) (PD: 8/8, ED: 2/2)

+ 2 rPD (cost = 1) (3/2 = 1.5 rounded to 1)

Wight

8PD c=6  Total: 8PD(6rPD)
8ED c=6  Total: 8ED (6rED)
Wight's body --> 2PD c=1 only slashing or piercing (-1/2)
Wight's body --> 2PD c=1 only piercing (-1)
Wight's body --> Resistant (+1/2) 10PD/6ED c=8

- 12PD/10rPD against piercing, 10rPD against slashing, 8rPD/6rED against the rest.

- Wights body --> Resistant (+1/2) 6PD/6ED c=6?

Assume it's:

Vs everything (PD: 8/6, ED: 8/6):

+6 rPD (cost = 9)

+6 rED (cost = 9)

Vs piercing or slashing (-1/2) (PD 10/8, ED: 8/6)

vs piercing only (-1) (PD 12/10, ED: 8/6)

+ 2 rPD (cost = 1) (3/2 = 1.5 rounded to 1)

Minotaur

12PD c=10  Total: 12PD(3rPD)
 8ED c=6   Total:  8ED(3rED)
Hide --> Resistant (+1/2) 12PD/8ED c=10
¿¿??

Assume it's:

Vs everything: (PD: 12/12, ED: 8/8)

+10 rPD (cost = 15)

+6 rED (cost = 9)

2 PD made resistant (cost = 1)

2 ED made resistant (cost = 1)

Burrower

6PD c=15  Total: 14PD(12rPD)
3ED c=6   Total: 11ED(10rED)
Burrower's body --> 2PD c=4 only slashing or piercing (-1/2)
Burrower's body --> 2PD c=3 only piercing (-1)
Burrower's body --> Resistant (+1/2) 8PD/2ED c=15
Armor plating --> Resistant protection 8PD/8ED c=48 activation roll 11- (-1/2)
8rPD/8rED rolling (11-) + (10PD/8rPD against piercing, 8rPD against slashing, 6rPD/3ED/2rED against the rest) ???

14rPD instead of 12?

They really needed an editor, I guess.

Assume it's (but build seems so badly done and/or edited that it could be something else...)

Vs everything (PD: 6/6, ED: 3/2)

+4 rPD (cost = 6)

+1 ED (cost = 1)

2 PD made resistant (cost = 1)

2 ED made resistant (cost = 1)

Vs piercing or slashing (-1/2) (PD: 8/8, ED: 3/2)

vs piercing only (-1) (PD: 10/8, ED: 3/2)

+ 2 PD (cost = 1)

Armor plating (11- activation (-1/2))

+8 rPD (cost = 8) (12/1.5 = 8)

+8 rED (cost = 8) (12/1.5 = 8)

Gargoyle

This is not important, only related to cost, the damage negation is a defensive power and standard power, but it doesn't get multiplied by 3 as the Takes no stun power says.

Paging Editorhero; Editorhero to the white courtesy phone, please...

Shoggoth

Something is missing here, the rest of monsters have claws, not claw I and claw II as powers, this one has Mouth I, Mouth II, Mouth III, Hand I, Hand II, Hand III, each three of them exactly the same. It seems it should make more than one attack per phase but there is no multiattack.

1 attack or multiattack of mouths+hands or multiattack of mouths or multiattack of hands or 3mouths+3hands at the base OCV or 3 mouths at the base OCV or 3 hands at the base OCV ?

Don't know, don't have the book. Are the powers identical, or different?

This used to be a rule in earlier versions of hero. I'm not sure what version this book is supposed to be using. If 6th edition, no. If earlier versions, you'd have to check that specific versions rulebook, since I don't remember when that got dropped.

Welcome to the Hero Boards!

A common complaint with MHIRPG was that for a beginner book they could've done more to simplify the builds, or at least simplify the presentation. Plus yeah, some uneven editing. So it's not just you.

Zombie

Yes, you're calculating it correctly AFAICT. And yes, I believe it was done that way because it's cheaper (7 RP vs 9 RP), even tho it makes for a more confusing write-up.

Wight

-  Wights body --> Resistant (+1/2) 6PD/6ED c=6?

Your first one is correct as written. I'm not sure why they made the last 2 PD vs Piercing wasn't made Resistant. If I had to venture a guess, I'd say it may have been an oversight and the Wight's Body was meant to be Resistant for 12 PD/6ED. I'd probably make it 12rPD just to simplify things, but that's me.

Minotaur

¿¿??

Yeah, that one's clearly a typo in the Characteristic section; it should be 12rPD & 8 rED. Or you could reduce the Resistant (Power) to only 3 rPD/3 rED; I can't remember how tough Bullmen were supposed to be in the books, so I don't know which would be more appropriate. Go with whatever feels right to you.

Burrower

8rPD/8rED rolling (11-) + (10PD/8rPD against piercing,  8rPD against slashing, 6rPD/3ED/2rED against the rest) ???

14rPD instead of 12?

Yeah, it looks like the last +2 PD Only vs Piercing got left out of the totals under Characteristics. I think it's supposed to be:

If the Burrower/GM fails the 11- Activation Roll (ie - the shot missed the armor plating) then its defenses are:

• vs Piercing: 10 PD (8 rPD), 3 ED (2 rED)
  • vs Slashing: 8 PD (6 rPD), 3 ED (2 rED)
  • vs Else: 6 PD (4 rPD), 3 ED (2 rED)

If the Burrower/GM makes the 11- Activation Roll (ie - the shot hits the armor plating) then add +8rPD and +8rED to those numbers.

Gargoyle

You're correct - the cost for DN should be 120 pts.

Shoggoth

As written, you're right that the Shoggoth only gets one attack per Phase. I believe that is again an oversight; the fact that the claws & mouths were written up separately leads me to conclude Steve wanted the Shoggoth to be able to make multiple attacks. The regular Hero rules have a Multiple Attack Maneuver (632 p73 or CC p151) that lets a character make more than one attack at -2 OCV per additional attack (1/2 DCV, Full Phase), and a Rapid Attack Skill that lets a character make Multiple Attacks as a 1/2 Phase action. But those elements were inexplicably left out of MHIRPG.*  My advice would be to go with something like that: the first attack each Phase (claw or mouth) is at full OCV+Skill; if that attack hits, it can make an additional attack (claw or mouth) at a -2; rinse & repeat until it misses.

And yeah, I would've written it up differently. ;)

* Actually the explanation is that MHIRPG used the 6ed Basic Rules, which left out that Maneuver among other things. Why they made that call is the inexplicable bit.

Yes, see MHI p125. (That used to be a default rule in earlier editions; under 6ed it's an optional "if it fits your campaign" rule. I guess Steve felt it fits the MHI setting, and I would agree.)

Sorry for the confusion. The good news is you seem to be understanding the mechanics correctly - ie, the problem isn't you. Let us know if you come across any other head scratchers.

Thank you, practically is only a few errata.

Don't know, don't have the book. Are the powers identical, or different?

This used to be a rule in earlier versions of hero. I'm not sure what version this book is supposed to be using. If 6th edition, no. If earlier versions, you'd have to check that specific versions rulebook, since I don't remember when that got dropped.

3 mouths identical and 3 claws identical, same damage and costs, only different numerically. I think I'll use the autofire rules as they use them with the optional zombie.

The power says you get an additional EGO/5, but the only NPC with this power doesn't have this bonus, that's basically the doubt.

Yeah, that one's clearly a typo in the Characteristic section; it should be 12rPD & 8 rED. Or you could reduce the Resistant (Power) to only 3 rPD/3 rED; I can't remember how tough Bullmen were supposed to be in the books, so I don't know which would be more appropriate. Go with whatever feels right to you.

As written, you're right that the Shoggoth only gets one attack per Phase. I believe that is again an oversight; the fact that the claws & mouths were written up separately leads me to conclude Steve wanted the Shoggoth to be able to make multiple attacks. The regular Hero rules have a Multiple Attack Maneuver (632 p73 or CC p151) that lets a character make more than one attack at -2 OCV per additional attack (1/2 DCV, Full Phase), and a Rapid Attack Skill that lets a character make Multiple Attacks as a 1/2 Phase action. But those elements were inexplicably left out of MHIRPG.*  My advice would be to go with something like that: the first attack each Phase (claw or mouth) is at full OCV+Skill; if that attack hits, it can make an additional attack (claw or mouth) at a -2; rinse & repeat until it misses.

And yeah, I would've written it up differently. ;)

* Actually the explanation is that MHIRPG used the 6ed Basic Rules, which left out that Maneuver among other things. Why they made that call is the inexplicable bit.

Yes, see MHI p125. (That used to be a default rule in earlier editions; under 6ed it's an optional "if it fits your campaign" rule. I guess Steve felt it fits the MHI setting, and I would agree.)

Sorry for the confusion. The good news is you seem to be understanding the mechanics correctly - ie, the problem isn't you. Let us know if you come across any other head scratchers.

The template of the minotaur also says 12rPD/8rED, so it seems the errata is in the total. I have only read the first book so I don't know how they are in the novels but this monster in the game is a super tank. I'm also going to change Harbinger's minotaur hide jacket to 12rPD/8rED instead of Damage negation (12DC physical/6DC energy), it makes more sense (why would he use the MHI armor?) and I'll avoid players searching minotaurs to poison them.

I've seen the Zombie has Autofire as an option for multiple arms, without an official answer I'll use the same with the Soggoth but only for different targets, it will be more dangerous if the players aren't separated.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another doubt, the armor works with a roll, it says:

"Activation Roll representing how much of the body it covers. An activation roll 14- means the armor covers Hit Locations 3-5 (the helmet), 7-14 (the arms, torso, thighs), and 16-18 (lower legs and feet)."

Add ceramic plates : "protects hit locations 10-11, activation roll 11-".

Do you roll 14- for armor and if you pass 11- for plates, or do you roll one time and if it is 14- you add armor and if it is 11- you add armor+plates?

If you use the optional hit location rules I suppose you don't have to roll the activation of armor, no?

I was going to use those rules but there are some problems, damage can be doubled (if the rule is optional the monsters are not built around it and they could be killed faster) and percentages are very different between the two methods:

3	0.46%   
4	1.39%	
5	2.78%	
6	4.63%	
7	6.94%	
8	9.72%	
9	11.57%	
10	12.50%	 10-	50%
11	12.50%	 11-	62.50%
12	11.57%	 12-	74.07%
13	9.72%	 13-	83.80%
14	6.94%	 14-	90.74%
15	4.63%	 
16	2.78%	
17	1.39%	
18	0.46%

For example:

Ceramic plates: Hit locations 10-11 --> 25%

Ceramic plates: Armor activation roll 11- --> 62.5%

Full jacket : Hit locations 7-13 --> 74,52% to hit the location <-- 12- =74.07%

Full jacket: Armor activation roll 11- --> 62.5%

MHI armor : Hit locations 3-6, 9-13 --> 67.12% <-- 74%=12-  , 62.5%=11-

MHI armor : Armor roll 14- --> 90.74%

I don't understand what's the point with the hit location table, it changes the balance of the game with different damage maximums and defenses.

Also the MHI armor looks like it should cover more parts of the body than what the description says.

This is also rare, the combat levels, not sure how they were tested but for example 10 points for +1 OCV or DCV is bad value when you can have +1 to both for the same price, I suspect my players won't use the ones with high costs. Perhaps I should change the costs of CSLs, or cap the stats at the minimum value of legendary level, this way if my players max the OCV they have to pick CSLs, and most NPC who are "normal humans" are below those levels with the exception of their Stun and Endurance stats.

Did you have problems with the combat levels in your games?

I've seen the Zombie has Autofire as an option for multiple arms, without an official answer I'll use the same with the Soggoth but only for different targets, it will be more dangerous if the players aren't separated.

Yeah, that works.

Another doubt, the armor works with a roll, it says:

"Activation Roll representing how much of the body it covers. An activation roll 14- means the armor covers Hit Locations 3-5 (the helmet), 7-14 (the arms, torso, thighs), and 16-18 (lower legs and feet)."

Add ceramic plates : "protects hit locations 10-11, activation roll 11-".

Do you roll 14- for armor and if you pass 11- for plates, or do you roll one time and if it is 14- you add armor and if it is 11- you add armor+plates?

Roll once: 11- means it hits the plates, 12-14 it hits the base armor level, 15+ it misses the armor completely (ouch).

If you use the optional hit location rules I suppose you don't have to roll the activation of armor, no?

I was going to use those rules but there are some problems, damage can be doubled (if the rule is optional the monsters are not built around it and they could be killed faster) and percentages are very different between the two methods:

I don't understand what's the point with the hit location table, it changes the balance of the game with different damage maximums and defenses.

Also the MHI armor looks like it should cover more parts of the body than what the description says.

I'm afraid someone else will have to defend the Activation Roll probabilities vis-a-vis Hit Location probabilities; I've always considered that an awkward kludge at best. Personally I I feel if you want to have different armor for different locations, and you're going to add another roll anyway, you may as well just roll for Hit Location. If you don't want to bother with Hit Locations, then just abstract armor to a generalized value that applies against all attacks and go with that. [shrug] 

As for Hit Locations, yes they can change the feel of the game a bit. That's by design: head shots should be more lethal than arm/leg shots. But remember the multipliers apply after defenses: a Head Shot that does 7 Body vs 6 rDef does (7-6) x2 = 2 Body, not (7x2) -6 = 8 Body. And given that odds of rolling a head shot are roughly 1 in 20, I I haven't found it unbalancing. It does however introduce more randomness. (Some of us have house rules that, for example, let characters apply Skill Levels to pull Hit Location rolls so it's not a complete crap shoot.) It does let you make a nice challenge for sniper characters by giving a monster high enough defenses that the only way to kill it is with a called head shot!

Some people really like Hit Locations, particularly for more realistic/gritty games; other dislike them, particularly for more cinematic/comic book games. It really just depends on what style of play you're looking for.

This is also rare, the combat levels, not sure how they were tested but for example 10 points for +1 OCV or DCV is bad value when you can have +1 to both for the same price, I suspect my players won't use the ones with high costs. Perhaps I should change the costs of CSLs, or cap the stats at the minimum value of legendary level, this way if my players max the OCV they have to pick CSLs, and most NPC who are "normal humans" are below those levels with the exception of their Stun and Endurance stats.

Did you have problems with the combat levels in your games?

That also has been debated loud and long on these boards! But remember you can use Skill Levels for other things like adding damage (and in some games, pulling Hit Locs as mentioned above). Skill Levels are also less likely to get Drained than Characteristics.

Plus many Heroic games limit normal human Characteristics to the top of the "Competent" range (table p90), and beyond that costs double.* So beyond 7 or 8 CV, Skill Levels become a bargain. Just different ways to do do different things.

* Normal Characteristic Maxima is an optional rule in the main books, but wasn't included in MHIRPG.

Roll once: 11- means it hits the plates, 12-14 it hits the base armor level, 15+ it misses the armor completely (ouch).

I'm afraid someone else will have to defend the Activation Roll probabilities vis-a-vis Hit Location probabilities; I've always considered that an awkward kludge at best. Personally I I feel if you want to have different armor for different locations, and you're going to add another roll anyway, you may as well just roll for Hit Location. If you don't want to bother with Hit Locations, then just abstract armor to a generalized value that applies against all attacks and go with that. [shrug] 

As for Hit Locations, yes they can change the feel of the game a bit. That's by design: head shots should be more lethal than arm/leg shots. But remember the multipliers apply after defenses: a Head Shot that does 7 Body vs 6 rDef does (7-6) x2 = 2 Body, not (7x2) -6 = 8 Body. And given that odds of rolling a head shot are roughly 1 in 20, I I haven't found it unbalancing. It does however introduce more randomness. (Some of us have house rules that, for example, let characters apply Skill Levels to pull Hit Location rolls so it's not a complete crap shoot.) It does let you make a nice challenge for sniper characters by giving a monster high enough defenses that the only way to kill it is with a called head shot!

Some people really like Hit Locations, particularly for more realistic/gritty games; other dislike them, particularly for more cinematic/comic book games. It really just depends on what style of play you're looking for.

That also has been debated loud and long on these boards! But remember you can use Skill Levels for other things like adding damage (and in some games, pulling Hit Locs as mentioned above). Skill Levels are also less likely to get Drained than Characteristics.

Plus many Heroic games limit normal human Characteristics to the top of the "Competent" range (table p90), and beyond that costs double.* So beyond 7 or 8 CV, Skill Levels become a bargain. Just different ways to do do different things.

* Normal Characteristic Maxima is an optional rule in the main books, but wasn't included in MHIRPG.

I think I'm going to let the players roll their armors, it should be fast and they will like rolling dice.

From what I've read the multipliers go before defenses, at least it works that way with stun using the standard rules and the optional rules don't contradict them.

The hit location table makes things more random and variable, for players it's a double edge sword, a good sniper would be able to kill faster but he would also die easier, another thing is that for some monsters doesn't work well, for example vampires are already dead, there are no vitals, I should add the no location rule to them.

Another option would be to not use the damage modifiers, only the locations, perhaps use a d10 or d12 to roll less dice. As monsters are not designed with weak points for now I'm leaning towards armor rolls for players and a flat -5max to hit an specific location, I'll have to think about it a bit more or try both methods, perhaps reduce the damage negation of some creatures in some places, to represent the weak points they have in the book.

In MHI you can only add damage with special ammunition, better weapons, some combat maneuvers and powers, combat skill levels only add OCV or DCV. I think the author have used some kind of maxima, for example Franks is capped at 20STR as werewolves, but they come with powers that add damage, and most humans are below 20 in their stats, OCV is below 8 for most, etc. I think I'm going to use a hard limit (to avoid problems with the group min-maxer) and a lower soft limit for character creation instead of changing the price of the combat skills.

My idea is to let the players create some noobs, survive an incident with some monsters, then start training for MHI (I was going to use the competition instead of MHI and a doppleganger assassin, but I've started the second book and the author already went that way with a better plot, I'll save the plot for later as the books have not been published in my language and my friends haven't read them), some initial hunt with a twist (here they should have their 200exp) and recreate the Machado incident my way (I like when the narrative stays low profile, not apocalyptic with resurrections, chosen ones, temporal disruptions, etc).

Or perhaps start directly with the training to let the players get accustomed to the system while they compete on different tests.

Has anyone done the 6 adventures that come for 5$? I would like to know if they are interesting and how much do they last.

From what I've read the multipliers go before defenses, at least it works that way with stun using the standard rules and the optional rules don't contradict them.

The STUNx multiplier is applied before defenses, just like normal with Killing Attacks (ie if you weren't using Hit Locs). The BODYx and N STUN modifiers are applied after armor. That somehow didn't make it into the MHIRPG text either, so I can see where you'd be confused. Honestly, this whole thread has been a depressing reminder of just how poorly edited this book was; especially depressing since Hero is normally really good at that sort of thing. I highly recommend picking up Champions Complete or Fantasy Hero Complete to make better sense of things. Or just keep asking questions here, of course!

It's an optional rule, perhaps they changed it for this game, personally as it is optional I would not have included it but I'm biased, I also dislike the to hit modifiers, -8 to head with 3d6 is a big percentage down, -6 to hands which should be smaller than a head...

I'm surprised, I find the editing really good, perhaps I dislike some design choices and costs but the only problems I've found are 3-4 erratas in the monsters for the rPD/rED totals, another possible errata with the teamwork skill for wargs and a bad explanation for armor rolls. Compared to other games like D&D, Warhammer rpg games, first Savage worlds deluxe, etc full of erratas this game is top notch. I also like the clean background, good layout (except some advantages/disadvantages), etc. What I don't like is how it has some retouched photos for some monsters insteads of drawings, they don't look good.

In my opinion the only thing lacking is an introductory adventure, I would have put one instead of some "playable" monster templates, the NPCs from other organizations and the optional rules. Some more info about the other organizations and how they interact could have been interesting, but the first books don't use them, that's another thing I don't like about them, I was hyped after reading the game but they've been a bit disappointing for me.