jammer397

Need help with HD6. Trying to print vehicles and bases to pdf

I am trying to print a vehicle design to pdf with HD6 but I get an error message. Don't really understand, my characters print to pdf no problem but vehicles and bases doesn't. Am I missing a file or something? Picture shows the message I get when I try to print it.

post-56382-0-39203200-1483898599_thumb.png

And which format would that be (since you can have a _large_ variety of formats for character sheets)?

HD is setup the way a character is built.  It's a character builder after all, so this seemed to make the most sense.

Hi,

Thank you for joining us.  You may find what you need by looking in the Download section which has a number of export templates available.  Here is one for Vehicles http://www.herogames.com/forums/files/file/91-rtf-vehicle-sheet-deric-page/

I don't know anything about it so you are on your own there.

On 1/11/2017 at 9:12 AM, bluesguy said:

Hi,

Thank you for joining us.  You may find what you need by looking in the Download section which has a number of export templates available.  Here is one for Vehicles http://www.herogames.com/forums/files/file/91-rtf-vehicle-sheet-deric-page/

I don't know anything about it so you are on your own there.

I never saw your post till today. I got it figured out but I need to download the file again today. Thx for the link, made things quicker for me.

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 6:25 AM, Simon said:

And which format would that be (since you can have a _large_ variety of formats for character sheets)?

HD is setup the way a character is built.  It's a character builder after all, so this seemed to make the most sense.

In a perfect world, Hero Designer should be able to output a PDF copy of any type of 'sheet' (Automaton, Computer, Character, Base, or Vehicle); using the officially supported format presented in Hero Games Writers Guidelines (which has existed for no less than 14 years) and used in every single Hero Games publication since.

The current Export to PDF function is not very useful to me because having a standard character sheet "pre-filled" and printed out defeats the purpose of using a paper sheet. Further, the mandatory two-page format makes running a character using said sheets far more difficult than running one using the official format.

Having the option to efficiently output files in the official format would be far more useful to me. Using the other export formats require an extensive familiarity with Microsoft Word or Open Office to make the outputted files actually readable. As it is it takes so long to format the output that it is easier just to write the sheet from scratch and not use HD at all.

Let's be clear: in a perfect world FOR YOU characters would print out just so and take up the appropriate number of pages. Others would hate your format and claim that it ruined the whole program.

The Print to PDF function is a near mirror copy of the "official" character sheet format. It's very nice... But it's not for everyone.  Hence the export format concept, which has been with HD from the start.

Everyone had their own ideas about what a character sheet should look like... From the number of pages to the layout to the fonts used. You do not want to get hung up on PDF layout and design.  The XML/HTML based export format is the best compromise you're going to find to balance customization and usability.