HD6 Issues Under Windows High Resolution Screens

Simon

For those having issues with HD appearing too small under high resolution screens (when running Windows), an update has been posted which enables command-line flags to set the default font size throughout the application.  To use, you need to launch HD from the command line (or create a batch script) with the following:

javaw -jar HD6.jar [font size]

for example, the following would set the default font size throughout the application to 18pt:

javaw -jar HD6.jar 18

Windows does not appear to pass font scaling along to Java, hence the issue under high resolution screens.  Moreover, there are known issues within Java in attempting to change the font size once the UI has been rendered.  This is the reason that the command line flags are needed rather than a new application preferences setting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For those having issues with HD appearing too small under high resolution screens (when running Windows), an update has been posted which enables command-line flags to set the default font size throughout the application.  To use, you need to launch HD from the command line (or create a batch script) with the following:

javaw -jar HD6.jar [font size]
for example, the following would set the default font size throughout the application to 18pt:

javaw -jar HD6.jar 18
Windows does not appear to pass font scaling along to Java, hence the issue under high resolution screens.  Moreover, there are known issues within Java in attempting to change the font size once the UI has been rendered.  This is the reason that the command line flags are needed rather than a new application preferences setting.

Which version of Java do you need?

• 1 month later...

Simon,

You are amazing!!  I think we had PM'ed about this some time ago.  I check back to look to see if someone had done a 5th ed version of Plasmoid in HD and I find this.  It's almost 11 at night and I am so happy and now I can't sleep. I can finally use HD on my biz wiz laptop with the insane rez.  

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Let me be clear: "cannot access the jar file" means you are running the command from a directory that does not have the jar file...or as an account that cannot see/access the jar file.  It's pretty simple...and has nothing whatsoever to do with HD.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Apparently something got screwed up when I was "future-proofing" the app against some warnings folks were getting under Java 10.  They'll just have to go back to those warnings, I guess.

New update posted which should re-enable the font size settings.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow.  

Didn't realize my version was so old.  2013.  And might've been purchased under a different account.

Went ahead and bought the latest.  DEFINITELY helps the font sizes.  Readable now, on my usual living room arrangement...monitors about 3' away from the recliner.  But I can put a game on the TV while I goof off online so it's all good. :)

This is the line I'm using:

javaw -Xmx1024m -cp .\HD6.jar com.hero.HeroDesigner 14

This allocates a full gigabyte of memory for HD to use...probably overkill.  Can be cut back if desired.  -Xmx512m would allocate only half a gig.  Still more than the default, IIRC.  And 14 point size.

Anyway, just want to say thanks for updating things.  Looks MUCH crisper than my 2013 version.

• 5 months later...

Not really sure how to explain it any clearer...

Open a command prompt on your system (under Windows, Start -> Run... -> cmd), cd to the directory that you unpacked HeroDesigner.zip into (the directory that contains HD6.jar), and enter the command given in the first post of this thread.