"Destiny" Hero

MordeanGrey

The "Fantasy with Science Fiction" thread made we wonder if anyone has tried adapting Bungie's Destiny video game into the HERO system?

It should obviously be a blend of Star HERO (spaceships, robots, energy weapons, etc.) and Fantasy HERO (warlocks, magic/tech combinations).

I think it would be possible with a little work. There is quite a bit of Destiny lore on the various WIKI websites and on YouTube. Those would be crucial to fleshing out the world history.

A small group of characters could be given a variety of challenges based on mission ideas from the game. There seems to be an endless amount of lost technology scattered throughout old Earth, the Moon, Venus, and Mars. Exploring new areas and finding physical resources could lead to a variety of encounters with aliens including the Fallen, the Vex, the Hive, and the Cabal.

The music soundtrack and concept artwork from the game is excellent and would be a great help in introducing the setting and creating the feel.

Anyone else play the game?

Thoughts?

Ideas?

characters_zpsbnyrwm5r.jpg

destiny%20gates_zpsutbylkv7.jpg

cabal_zps9b4atlwd.jpg

vex_zpscalkx1r3.jpg

Enemy-Races_zpskzosdwvy.jpg

I tended to envision it as more a blend of Star Hero and Champions (given the abilities of Guardians) or a wilder version of the 3rd World setting -- but I haven't really thought much on it in a while.

I lost interest in Destiny for a variety of reasons a while back, but the setting itself had much more potential (from a role playing perspective) than the game actually delivered.

I don't know enough about the game to comment on the specifics, but I would almost certainly say that it could be translated to Hero. I wouldn't try too hard to do a line item conversion of powers from the game to Hero stats. Just take the flavor and run with it.

Makes me wish that it came out for PC so I had some relevant background.

I tended to envision it as more a blend of Star Hero and Champions (given the abilities of Guardians) or a wilder version of the 3rd World setting -- but I haven't really thought much on it in a while.

I lost interest in Destiny for a variety of reasons a while back, but the setting itself had much more potential (from a role playing perspective) than the game actually delivered.

I agree. They have improved the storyline with all of the expansions. Although, it can become a "grind" at times.

The setting itself is spectacular and seems fairly original to me.

If you're not familiar with the soundtrack give it a try:

https://youtu.be/EvwDiV2K_0g

I left fairly late into the Taken King.

To be honest, rather than Fantasy mixed with Sci-Fi, "Destiny" felt more like a Post-Apoc/Galactic Champions to me.  The final battle against the Shining Darkness on the ruins of Earth.

The Elder Worm/Thane would make a decent substitute for the Hive.

Mechanon (3000?) would easily substitute for the Vex.

The H'zeel could be the Fallen.

Not sure who I'd use for the Cabal.