For people who use maps and 2m/hex how do you deal with odd numbers?

Blazmo

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no reason a hex map has to have a scale of 2m/hex, so simply assign the map a scale of 1m/hex.  Now if that makes your map too small because you are using figures whose scales fit the map, I'm with you on that.  In such case, use a dry erase marker under the figure to indicate which half of the hex he/she is in if an odd amount of movement results in a half-hex position.  You can handle reach similarly...

You can use positioning on the borders of the hex/square versus in the hex/square to represent odd numbered meters of movement. So if you are standing in a hex/square, moving 1m puts you on the border of the hex/square. Likewise, a creature with 1m reach/range can only strike creatures in an adjacent hex/square, a creature with 2m reach/range can strike creatures on the border of an adjacent hex/square, and a creature with 3m reach/range can strike creatures in a hex/square adjacent to an adjacent hex/square, and so forth. 

We always rounded to Hero's favor. Can someone game.the system? Yeah but Iin the long run, its usually a wash.

And if you use the 2m hex for a lot of games, I would encourage the player to buy up a meter to have even rounding.

I just go with the flow and ignore the bits and pieces.  We are playing SUPERHEROES!!!   Not mathematical nit pick. 

As Ninja-Bear said.  In the long run it all comes out in the wash :)

2m/hex is really only meant to be used with earlier editions of the system where movement is rated in terms of "inches", not meters. Each "inch" is assumed to be equal to a single battlemat hexagon (roughly 1" across) representing 2m of space (i.e., the amount of space a single human-sized character fills). So in editions prior to 6e, your character had 15" of movement, not 15m of movement. Nobody moved an odd number of meters as a full move back then.

However, a similar issue still came up when characters with an odd number of inches of movement performed a Half Move. In such (very common) cases, the standard convention was to allow the character to round up the number of hexes moved.

Another reason to use 2m hexes is the size of your maps can be smaller. They can cover more area in a smaller Real World space. 1m Hexes are great for getting extra defination for inside spaces, but outside 2m/hex is better. Also with 2m hexes are VERY close to 5' squares so using maps for D&D and other d20 games becomes MUCH easier.

Tasha is right about if space is premium. When running Star Wars WEG ed, I use 1m because the character sheets are rated in meters. However when looking at making a map of our YT 2400, at that scale, the ship will need to 2-3 sheets of regular hex sheets. Btw I found it interesting that I looked up the miniatures rulebook and they put the scale 1"=2m inless.using action figures then its 1"=5m iirc.

I wouldn't use a one-inch hex grid.  I'd use a half-inch triangular dot grid, with a half-inch being 1m.  But if I were going to use a one-inch hex grid, I'd make all of the players buy everything in 2m increments.

You can get Battlemats, Gaming Paper and a bunch of other gaming accessories that have either a 1" Hex or a 1" Square. So it's very much a path of least resistence to use 1" hexes. Also the rules are designed for Hexes which comes up for Shield coverage and attacks from the back (We do still have facing). Also there's a ton of both Metal, Plastic and Cardboard (printed or printable) figures that assume 1" grids.

The reason to sometimes use a 1"=1m scale is to take advantage of GURPS maps, which are usually in the 1"-1m scale (check the accessory to be sure).

I'll round your half move up.  So if you have 15m full move.  You can have a 4" half move or a 7" full move.

I use 2m per hex but I use large hex megamats (1.5").  I've found the 1m/1" hex problematic in super games when a good knockback roll can go 20m or more.  In heroic games where knockback isn't as prevalent, its not a problem.

I just can't figure out why people insist they are 2m hexes.  Call them 1m hexes, and the problems vanish

Maps from 5e and prior are all scaled to 1 hex=2m.  If you're using those, but running them at 1 hex=1m, you're looking at streets that are 6 feet wide with cars that are 4-6 feet long.  If you're using GURPS maps, those are scaled to close enough to 1 hex=1m, but then you've got larger maps.  If you're drawing your own maps, then you can scale them at whatever you want.  

2m is traditional, that's all.

Well, because prior to 6e the standard game scale was 1" = 2m, and map hexes tended to be 1" in size.

Whenever an “inch” is referred to in the game, it’s equal to

an inch on a playing surface. Each inch represents 2 meters
(approximately 6 1/2 feet) in real life. This scale allows the GM
and player to use 25 mm (1/72 scale) miniatures to represent
characters.

I just can't figure out why people insist they are 2m hexes.  Call them 1m hexes, and the problems vanish

1" (or 1.5") hexes = 2m is roughly in scale with most miniatures. But I agree you don't have to use that: call them 4m hexes, or 8m hexes, or whatever fits the scenario and available gaming space. Doesn't make the "problem" go away.

I figure the hexes are there to help measure distance. It's not a war game or board game where they matter as discrete spaces. So if someone's 5m move puts them on the edge of a hex instead of the center, so what?

I've been in several champs games where we are down to single digit stun and 0 end and be 1" away from the target. They have been very intense games and being able to do HTH or not can mean a lot.  The last time that happened, the player burnt stun for end rolled up on the Stun and KO'd himself at the villain's feet.  Very cool.

I've been in several champs games where we are down to single digit stun and 0 end and be 1" away from the target. They have been very intense games and being able to do HTH or not can mean a lot.  The last time that happened, the player burnt stun for end rolled up on the Stun and KO'd himself at the villain's feet.  Very cool.

Sure, but I'm not sure what your point is? I'm not saying distance isn't important, I'm saying use the hexes to measure distance rather than treating them as discrete board game spaces.