Protecting a Sleeper's Dreams

Jab Gideon

I am trying to create a Nordic Rune Mage (6th Ed Fantasy Hero Campaign).

One Effect I want to create is to protect the dreams of someone resting next or under the protective rune. Which seems the correct way to model the effect? Do I need to make the effects Persistent? I was thinking of the effect lasting as long as the Rune is intact, but wtill struggling with best way to design the effect,

Rune of the Sleeper's Respite:

Change Environment (-9 to Characteristic Roll or Skill Roll), Usable By Other (+0), Recipient must be within Limited Range of the Grantor for power to be granted, Grantor can only grant the power to others, Area Of Effect (3m Radius; +1/4) (34 Active Points);

Extra Time (20 Minutes, -2 1/2), OAF (Rune Carving Knife; -1), Concentration (0 DCV; throughout casting; -1/2), Requires A Magic Roll (Skill roll; Norse Rune Magic; -1/2)

OR

Rune of Sleeper's Respite II:

+18 Mental Defense (33 points total), Usable By Other (+0), Recipient must be within Limited Range of the Grantor for power to be granted, Grantor can only grant the power to others (18 Active Points);

Extra Time (20 Minutes, -2 1/2), Limited Power Rune Only Works On Dreams (-1), OAF (Rune Carving Knife; -1), Concentration (0 DCV; throughout casting; -1/2), Requires A Magic Roll (Skill roll; Norse Rune Magic; -1/2)

Either of those would work.  However: in the first one, you need to define what the penalty applies to, and Usable By Others is not necessary.  You might want to put Personal Immunity on it, though.  Also, Usable By Others has a minimum cost of +1/4.  For the second one, I wouldn't choose "can only grant to others" as the caster might want to use it themselves.  

Thank you for the feedback! (I also fixed the Adder to its minimum).  As I have refined them, I see them as two strategies to grant the same benefit. The first makes it harder for an Astral traveler to harass a dreamer, the second makes someone targeted in any way from Mental influence. I will talk to my gamemaster on which makes more sense to have as a Norse Rune.

Change Environment (-6 to EGO or Astral Navigation Rolls to reach Dreamscape), Area Of Effect (3m Radius; +1/4), Usable By Other (+1/2), Recipient must be within Limited Range of the Grantor for power to be granted (31 Active Points);

Extra Time (20 Minutes, -2 1/2), OAF (Rune Carving Knife; -1), Concentration (0 DCV; throughout casting; -1/2), Requires A Magic Roll (Skill roll; Norse Rune Magic; -1/2)

OR

Ward of Sleeper's Respite II:

+22 Mental Defense (37 points total), Usable By Other (+1/2), Recipient must be within Limited Range of the Grantor for power to be granted (33 Active Points);

Extra Time (20 Minutes, -2 1/2), Limited Power Spell Only Works On Dreams (-1), OAF (Rune Carving Knife; -1), Concentration (0 DCV; throughout casting; -1/2), Requires A Magic Roll (Skill roll; Norse Rune Magic; -1/2)

I am trying to create a Nordic Rune Mage (6th Ed Fantasy Hero Campaign).

One Effect I want to create is to protect the dreams of someone resting next or under the protective rune. Which seems the correct way to model the effect? Do I need to make the effects Persistent? I was thinking of the effect lasting as long as the Rune is intact, but wtill struggling with best way to design the effect,

Change Environment (-9 to Characteristic Roll or Skill Roll), Usable By Other (+0), Recipient must be within Limited Range of the Grantor for power to be granted, Grantor can only grant the power to others, Area Of Effect (3m Radius; +1/4) (34 Active Points);

OR

Rune of Sleeper's Respite II:

+18 Mental Defense (33 points total), Usable By Other (+0), Recipient must be within Limited Range of the Grantor for power to be granted, Grantor can only grant the power to others (18 Active Points);

Extra Time (20 Minutes, -2 1/2), Limited Power Rune Only Works On Dreams (-1), OAF (Rune Carving Knife; -1), Concentration (0 DCV; throughout casting; -1/2), Requires A Magic Roll (Skill roll; Norse Rune Magic; -1/2)

Protect the person's dreams from what?

Figure out what will be attacking his dreams first.  Then buy the appropriate defense.

Yeah, like massey, the first question I have is, "what does it mean to attack someone's dreams?"

This is something that will vary from campaign to campaign. If it's just a form of Mind Control/Mental Illusion/Mental Blast/etc that only works on sleeping victims, then the Mental Defense route (probably via Barrier) is the way to go.

On the other hand, in a campaign I ran a few years ago, someone's dreams were being attacked by the villain entering her dreams via the dream dimension (from the Ultimate Mystic). In that case, you'd need an Extra Dimensional defense of some kind.

The short is, you should check with your GM to see what constitutes an attack on someone's dreams. Then you'll know exactly what you're defending against.

As for the defense working for as long as the Rune is intact, you can potentially do that via a Focus with a sufficiently long Continuing Charge or a Focus with 0 END, Persistent and Uncontrolled.  Again, ask your GM which method would be preferred.

As for

To add clarity:

We are using Ultimate Mystic (its a sword and sorcery type game).

We will be using Astral travel, though my character does not have that ability, only Astral Awareness.

I will be talking with my gamemaster tonight through my ideas, but I was trying to have options ready before we meet.

The two ideas: Someone in Astral space enters a person's dreamscape and attacks them in their dream (I imagined how Nightmare attacks Doctor Strange when he forgot to protect his dreams).

In our game we have Fae and spirits that visit earth and cause troubles, as well as having evil sorcerer's.

The Environment Change effect was my attempt to make it harder for someone to find a person's dream avatar, and harder to affect it with Ego attacks.

The Mental Defense approach was my thinking that I just making my mind harder to influence, but I was struggling with how to model the selectiveness of the Rune.

Given all of the great feedback, I am going to model a selective Mental Defense Barrier next.

• 2 weeks later...