ToH: The Whim of Fate

Pariah

16 members have voted

1. 1. What to do about the Whim of Fate?

• Keep it as is (2d4)
    • Change it to d8
    • Change it to 3d4
    • Change it to 2d6
    • Change it to d10
    • Change it to d12
    • Eliminate it and just use votes
    • Something else

As I look back on the recently completed Under 21 Tournament of Heroes (ToH), I see a couple of areas that didn't work quite the way I had envisioned them.  So I'd like some feedback from all of you.

The first is the Whim of Fate--the 2d4 I rolled and added to the votes to get the final scores. In short, it didn't really have much of an effect. As I recall, it changed the outcome of exactly one match, way back in the opening round. It didn't even lead to any ties, as I remember. In short, it was pretty much a non-factor.

So, how should I change it?  Here are some options for you to consider:

* Leave it just the way it is. 

* Change the 2d4 to a d8 for more random (less normalized) results.

* Change the 2d4 to 3d4 for a greater range of outcomes.

* Change the 2d4 to 2d6 for a greater (but slightly different) range of outcomes.

* Change the 2d4 to a d10 for more outcomes and greater randomization.

* Use Logan's old d12 from the Arena games to really shake things up.

* Drop the Whim of Fate entirely and go strictly with votes.

Please let me know which of these you'd favor. Or, if you have another idea, let's hear it. I want your feedback to make this more interesting for everyone.  I'll take your input into account, but ultimately I'll choose the option I think will make the Tournament to most interesting and entertaining.

Anyway, there it is. Please discuss and vote.

--

Note: The whole bit about using Logan's d12 is a joke, of course. I'm sure he'd never part with it. Plus, if I ever do get my hands on that goathumping piece of plastic, I'm going to drop it in a vat of tetrahydrofuran and live stream the results on Facebook.

Personally, I think it should only be used as a tie breaker (and 1d6 / 2d4 sound good enough to break a tie). It's a fun contest, by the way, and kudos for taking the time to set it up and run it.  I'm happy to vote along regardless. 

The problem with using larger dice is that on a low vote result it becomes a decisive factor.  For example, if there was a vote of 5 - 1 then theoretically a d12 should yield a 9-12 to 5-8 and not affect the outcome.  It could also yield a 6 - 13 upset, though, where 2d4 COULD get a 7-9 slight win but that's less probable (I think. Math's definitely not my strong point).

So, we've had about three days to vote, and so far it's a pretty even spread between "Leave it alone", "Change it to d12", and "Get rid of it altogether".  

When I started thinking about this, my thought was to change it to 2d6, which so far has only vote.

I think the results of the votes are interesting. Now persuade me. Why is any of these options better than what we're doing now, or better than what I'd tentatively been planning to do?

2d4 means a smaller change which means if one of the options is massacring the other then there is no chance of an upset. A D12 allows for a shock result and that is why it can and should be used. Not using a die means that the vote makes it a forgone conclusion unless it is a tie. It should not be a foregone conclusion.

Agree.

All right, everyone. After looking at the poll results and reading the comments, plus taking my own thoughts into account, I've decided to keep the Whim of Fate, but to change it slightly to allow for more variety without making it completely unbalancing. I hope.

The Whim of Fate will now be 2d6. 

This roll (which, mechanically, will be easier for me--d4s are a big pain in the neck to pick up!) will be added to the vote total for each competitor to determine the outcome of the match. We may see more unusual results this way, which would be fine. Or we may not. We'll just have to see.

Thanks to everyone who voted. I appreciate your input!

All right, everyone. After looking at the poll results and reading the comments, plus taking my own thoughts into account, I've decided to keep the Whim of Fate, but to change it slightly to allow for more variety without making it completely unbalancing. I hope.

The Whim of Fate will now be 2d6.

This roll (which, mechanically, will be easier for me--d4s are a big pain in the neck to pick up!) will be added to the vote total for each competitor to determine the outcome of the match. We may see more unusual results this way, which would be fine. Or we may not. We'll just have to see.

Thanks to everyone who voted. I appreciate your input!

This pleases me. :)