The Advice Column

Starlord

Slovotsky's Laws (not a comprehensive list, for that I recommend reading the Guardians of the Flame series)

A hero's work is never done. Which is one of the minor reasons I don't recommend the profession.

Boldness is like a condom. If you depend on it all the time, no matter how good it is, and no matter how good you are, eventually it will break.

I always have a fallback position whenever I take a risk. If all else fails, I'll die horribly, at great length, and in great pain. Mind you, it's not a good fallback position...

When it comes to dealing with the law of averages, it's best to be a habitual offender.

Relax, the universe is out to get you.

Doing the best thing right away is much better than doing the second-best thing after much hesitation. I didn't say it's easier, mind, just better.

The difference between being a trusted friend and a devoted vassal is non-trivial. Me, I'd rather be the first; vassals tend to go the well too often.

Not getting cut up into bloody little slices is the key to a sound plan.

The old saw says that the first time is an accident, the second time a coincidence, and the third time enemy action. As a matter of policy, I'm suspicious of accidents, and I don't believe in coincidences.

It takes a lot of time to make things go right, but they can all go to hell in a heartbeat.

While it doesn't get the good press that hard work and industry get, laziness is a talent to be cultivated, like any other.

Wanting it doesn't make it so. If it did, we'd all learn to want harder. I can already want quite vigorously, thank you very much.

When it comes to throwing a fit, it's better to give than to receive -- and much better to avoid the whole thing entirely.

I'm a simple man. All I want is enough sleep for two normal men, enough whiskey for three, and enough women for four.

Travel, it seems to me, has always done more for flattening the arches, callusing the feet, and irritating the hemorrhoids than broadening the mind.

Arguing is one of life's great pleasures, even if you have to argue with yourself. Course, I could enjoy the other side of that argument, too.

The first ninety percent of the job takes the first ninety percent of the time. The last ten percent takes the other ninety percent of the time.

There isn't any pleasing some people. The trick is to stop trying.

I'd always liked Robert Thompson's idea of avoiding compromise, of letting the person with the strong convictions have his own way... and then I realized that encouraged people to have strong convictions when they don't have enough data.

7 minutes ago, Badger said:

Most of the time they both are completely wrong. :angel:

Note: On a serious note, I think in politics a lot of the time,  a side is right for the wrong reasons (I dont know if that makes sense to you)

I find that when one of the sides is right, that they've quite often reached that position for the wrong reasons.

2 hours ago, archer said:

Slovotsky's Laws (not a comprehensive list, for that I recommend reading the Guardians of the Flame series)

A hero's work is never done. Which is one of the minor reasons I don't recommend the profession.

Boldness is like a condom. If you depend on it all the time, no matter how good it is, and no matter how good you are, eventually it will break.

I always have a fallback position whenever I take a risk. If all else fails, I'll die horribly, at great length, and in great pain. Mind you, it's not a good fallback position...

When it comes to dealing with the law of averages, it's best to be a habitual offender.

Relax, the universe is out to get you.

Doing the best thing right away is much better than doing the second-best thing after much hesitation. I didn't say it's easier, mind, just better.

The difference between being a trusted friend and a devoted vassal is non-trivial. Me, I'd rather be the first; vassals tend to go the well too often.

Not getting cut up into bloody little slices is the key to a sound plan.

The old saw says that the first time is an accident, the second time a coincidence, and the third time enemy action. As a matter of policy, I'm suspicious of accidents, and I don't believe in coincidences.

It takes a lot of time to make things go right, but they can all go to hell in a heartbeat.

While it doesn't get the good press that hard work and industry get, laziness is a talent to be cultivated, like any other.

Wanting it doesn't make it so. If it did, we'd all learn to want harder. I can already want quite vigorously, thank you very much.

When it comes to throwing a fit, it's better to give than to receive -- and much better to avoid the whole thing entirely.

I'm a simple man. All I want is enough sleep for two normal men, enough whiskey for three, and enough women for four.

Travel, it seems to me, has always done more for flattening the arches, callusing the feet, and irritating the hemorrhoids than broadening the mind.

Arguing is one of life's great pleasures, even if you have to argue with yourself. Course, I could enjoy the other side of that argument, too.

The first ninety percent of the job takes the first ninety percent of the time. The last ten percent takes the other ninety percent of the time.

There isn't any pleasing some people. The trick is to stop trying.

I'd always liked Robert Thompson's idea of avoiding compromise, of letting the person with the strong convictions have his own way... and then I realized that encouraged people to have strong convictions when they don't have enough data.

Always liked Slovotsky's laws.

48 minutes ago, Cancer said:

That's OK until the entire market (or sector of the market) collapses.  It's taken many sectors of the market a decade to get back to where they were before the meltdown of 2008 happened.

No financial advisor is going to save you from that either.  Warren Effing Buffet lost $10B in '08.

I keep my IRA in mutual funds. I barely lost anything in 2008 and had made up those losses by 2010.

Yeah, that was a flat couple of years but not an utter catastrophe.

Considering I'd made 48% one year in fairly conservative growth funds and 32% the next year (earlier in the 2000's), going down 15% in a year a few years later after I'd shifted my money out of growth funds wasn't hugely worrisome.

5 hours ago, archer said:

I keep my IRA in mutual funds. I barely lost anything in 2008 and had made up those losses by 2010.

Yeah, that was a flat couple of years but not an utter catastrophe.

Considering I'd made 48% one year in fairly conservative growth funds and 32% the next year (earlier in the 2000's), going down 15% in a year a few years later after I'd shifted my money out of growth funds wasn't hugely worrisome.

Well done!  I too keep my IRA in mutual funds, specifically index funds (which have no fees).  I dimly recall losing about 20% in '08 and it taking until '12 to recover, but I didn't switch over to index funds until '14.  Since then I've averaged a 7.7% rate of return, which wasn't hard to do in the current environment.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 10:07 AM, Cancer said:

It might be amusing to send in a sample of dog drool into one of those Discover Your Heritage DNA testing outfits in hopes of getting back an analysis that says "You are a son of a b***h."

Nah, I am afraid they would say that with my own DNA, and them's fighting words where I come from. :P