The Advice Column

Starlord

4 hours ago, Old Man said:

Is that safe?  The show isn't going so well and the books are... overdue.

Yeah, but imagine what some fans would do to find out all the spoilers.    

Morally suspect, maybe, but it’s only on the same level as standing around a bar and telling women that you’re a member of the local pro sports team or hot new band.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Tjack said:

I don’t remember if I ever chipped this one in before. 

“If they’ll cheat with you,  they’ll cheat on you.”

Corollary: If they left somebody else to be with you because they thought you were better, they'll certainly leave you to be with somebody else as soon as they find somebody better than you.

55 minutes ago, Pariah said:

Corollary: If they left somebody else to be with you because they thought you were better, they'll certainly leave you to be with somebody else as soon as they find somebody better than you.

Your corollary sounds like people searching for the great love of their lives

I’m the one who came up with the rule after seeing friends being lied to and getting their hearts broken by people who thought nothing of lying to the ones they were originally with.

It’s more about never trusting someone who is blatantly untrustworthy.

People are on their best behavior while dating you. If you don't like the way they handle money, present themselves, or treat you while you're dating, expect it to get worse rather than better once you make a long-term commitment to each other.

Don't expect that you can fix them. People only change when they have a desire to change...you are never going to be in control of that for other people.

• 1 month later...
On 8/9/2019 at 11:34 AM, Pariah said:

Passwords are like underpants:

Change them often.
Keep them private.
Never share them with anyone.

If yours are labeled "Monday", "Tuesday", "Wednesday", etc., ... get more, they aren't that expensive.

If yours are labeled "January", "February", "March", etc., ... no one wants to know that.

• 2 weeks later...

In setting up your physics problem, be very careful not to use the same symbol for two fundamentally different quantities in the same problem.  For instance, if you are presenting masses in units of grams (abbreviated as "g") and doing mechanics problems involving the acceleration gravity (symbolized by "g"), you can become lost beyond any hope of recovery in confusing the two meanings for the same symbol.

Yesterday was the first time I saw the grams g - gravity g confusion.  OTOH, for years I have seen confusion happen between V for volts and V for potential difference (e.g. in Ohm's Law).  I have taken to using ϕ (phi) as the symbol for potential difference in an attempt to head off that confusion.

34 minutes ago, Cancer said:

Yesterday was the first time I saw the grams g - gravity g confusion.  OTOH, for years I have seen confusion happen between V for volts and V for potential difference (e.g. in Ohm's Law).  I have taken to using ϕ (phi) as the symbol for potential difference in an attempt to head off that confusion.

I am not smart enough for this conversation.