The Advice Column

Starlord

If the vagaries of one or more mass-media fiction productions (or, equivalently, professional sports franchises) is inducing serious stress into your life, perhaps you should disengage from mass-media productions and seek meaning and significance in things under your own control.  Exercise.  Charitable activities.  Your own creative artistic efforts.  Renew real-world friendships.  Study of some subject of interest.  Home maintenance or improvement.  It does not matter what; focus your attention and priorities on things where you control what you think and do by yourself.

7 hours ago, Cancer said:

If the vagaries of one or more mass-media fiction productions (or, equivalently, professional sports franchises) is inducing serious stress into your life, perhaps you should disengage from mass-media productions and seek meaning and significance in things under your own control.  Exercise.  Charitable activities.  Your own creative artistic efforts.  Renew real-world friendships.  Study of some subject of interest.  Home maintenance or improvement.  It does not matter what; focus your attention and priorities on things where you control what you think and do by yourself.

Why do insist on ruining everything with maturity and common sense? :)

7 hours ago, Cancer said:

Yeah, I'm stealing this for the Book of Face.

8 hours ago, Cancer said:

If the vagaries of one or more mass-media fiction productions (or, equivalently, professional sports franchises) is inducing serious stress into your life, perhaps you  (snipped material still relevant) .

Nah; it's cool.  I've been waiting months for the opportunity to burst these anneurisms. 

:D

On 12/31/2019 at 9:14 AM, Lawnmower Boy said:

Run, Australia, run! If you can just make it to the Internet, we've got another Pineapple Express roaring through. There's enough rain for everyone!

Oh, wait. It doesn't work that way. Sorry, never mind. 

I know it's self-indulgent to quote myself, but holy poop emoji, Australia, RUN AWAY! Only not to the Middle East.

22 hours ago, Cancer said:

I didn't have time to do this earlier, but I would like to.....  well, I don't know if it's "change" or "suggest an inclusion," but I find this exact same thing fits another sign of being too deeply into a fictional work:

If you have ever argued "cannon" about one or more mass-media etc..

And Cancer, you are far more eloquent than I, and far more compassionate, because my instinct was just to wrap that thought up with "seek help."

;)

College kids (especially new freshmen) seem to suffer this situation more frequently than others, and part of the faculty gig is trying to help some of those collect all their compost into a single heap, as it were.  So it's a small part of my job.