The Advice Column

Starlord

1 minute ago, Starlord said:

Stay hydrated, my friends.  You should drink at least a half a gallon of water a day.

That way you'll be so busy peeing that you won't have time for other people's drama.

Stolen for the Book of Face (with your permission).

1 hour ago, Grailknight said:

I can agree to changing times but the Joker has been a homicidal psychopath since the 70's. What comics were you reading Mr. Gaiman.

He was murdering people since his very first appearance.  He would interrupt radio broadcasts telling the people of Gotham who he was going to kill and what he was going to steal.  The police couldn't stop him--only Batman could.

The thing about more modern portrayals of The Joker is, that to my mind, he comes off as little more than Ed Gein in clown makeup.  Where's the criminal brilliance?  Where are the grandiose schemes that promise to be both lucrative and hilarious?  Where are the playing card references?  Nowhere that I've seen lately.

6 hours ago, Grailknight said:

I can agree to changing times but the Joker has been a homicidal psychopath since the 70's. What comics were you reading Mr. Gaiman.

Yeah.  The good old days when Superman could lift the universe, the male heroes all had the same personality, and female heroes were still basically damsels in distress or delicate, petite do-nothings.  Good times...not.

7 hours ago, wcw43921 said:

He was murdering people since his very first appearance.  He would interrupt radio broadcasts telling the people of Gotham who he was going to kill and what he was going to steal.  The police couldn't stop him--only Batman could.

He was murdering people in his first appearance in the '40s when Bats was a pulp character with colour illustrations.  Then Bats moved to the fifties and Seduction of the Innocent told us all violence had to be sanitized away, after which we got the mid-60s camp era, from the Batman TV show (much more widely known than the comic books), so people forgot the murdering Joker in favor of Cesar Romero.

Comics were geek culture in the 1970s by the time Killer Joker emerged.  And then we got various writers each trying to top the others for what a crazed murdering psychopath we could portray.  And we get:

7 hours ago, wcw43921 said:

The thing about more modern portrayals of The Joker is, that to my mind, he comes off as little more than Ed Gein in clown makeup.  Where's the criminal brilliance?  Where are the grandiose schemes that promise to be both lucrative and hilarious?  Where are the playing card references?  Nowhere that I've seen lately.

On 3/3/2021 at 8:52 AM, Hugh Neilson said:

He was murdering people in his first appearance in the '40s when Bats was a pulp character with colour illustrations.  Then Bats moved to the fifties and Seduction of the Innocent told us all violence had to be sanitized away, after which we got the mid-60s camp era, from the Batman TV show (much more widely known than the comic books), so people forgot the murdering Joker in favor of Cesar Romero.

Say what you want about Cesar Romero but he made a hell of a salad.