2017-18 NFL Thread

Pariah

...and according to a recent Yahoo! Sports report, the real reason nobody has signed Colin Kaepernik yet is because of his vegan diet.

Yeah, don't quite buy that, unless someone is using that as yet another example of him being a nut/cancerous influence/what have you.

I'm not sure about what sins Kaepernik is dealing with. I'm not 100% certain he was locker room poison. Maybe for his demotion. But that would make him a more talented Tim Tebow.

Indeed. Kapernick has his divisive issues he decided to champion.  I cant imagine his stances on the flag and police didn't rub a few teammates the wrong way. (and Tebow for the less religious teammates). 

Given the demographics of the NFL I imagine his flag and police stance didn't make nearly as much waves in the locker rooms as it did on social media.

Probably a bigger deal than you'd think. There were a lot of "we don't talk about politics in the locker room" articles during the election, very divided between Trump & Hillary. There's some conservative elements playing in the NFL, where it's more about their socioeconomic status than their other demographics.

Well, the Browns could always use a QB, but I have too much respect for Kaepernik to subject him to that mess and fanbase.

Though, I have to be honest, his stance on the flag was in some ways a metaphorical p!ssing on some of my family members' memories to me.  So it is unlikely for me to ever like him.  I give him free speech respect, but that is all I can give him.   (I've had a lot of family members serve in the military over the years)

The thinking fans here in Seattle believe that his football is more important than his politics in terms of why he doesn't have a job right now. He regressed on the field after that NFC championship game in Seattle; his passing got more limited, and while he has legs, he has never learned how to deal with pressure from his right side. Whether the coaching staff in San Francisco couldn't get to into his head in the turbulence of Harbaugh's exit, or whatever, he hasn't been as productive since that season and it seems improbable that that is due purely to the personnel turnover in the 49ers (and here I mean players, not coaches). If he was solid young quarterback that won football games, he'd've been acquired by now, politics or no; he just hasn't been a winning QB in the last couple of years.

Yeah, that is my big thinking.  Been plenty of headaches in sports that were tolerated because they were valuable  But, his stock has dropped off to where his headaches arent worth the trouble.  A guy who is probably at backup QB level cant really rock the boat too much

Kaepernick is only three years removed from a Super Bowl appearance, and while he's no Tom Brady, it's probable that injuries and the implosion of his team are the biggest reasons for his underwhelming performance the past two seasons.  When he finally got back on the field the last few weeks of 2016, with one exception he played pretty well considering the 49ers had become arguably the worst team in football.  I suspect it is some combination of injury history, boneheaded political statements, and scheme fit that is affecting his trade market.

Yeah, it is a few teams he can help, (pretty much every non-Brady AFC East for example)

As for the Browns, if I were them, I'd concentrate more on other positions though, too far gone as it is.  They'd only waste a QB in futility. (though I think they have a few O-lineman, don't they?)

Haven't seen any raves about Romo in the the new gig, but there's already several versions out there on the IntArWebZ of "Wing wong, the d**khead ditz is dead" happy songs about Phil Simms getting booted.

EDIT:

Romo, fourth in career passer rating (Russell Wilson is second), was one of the best of his era. Now he just needs to surpass Phil Simms as a broadcaster, and to that I think we all say: He already has.

• 2 weeks later...