2017-18 NFL Thread

Pariah

I read an article the other day suggesting the Browns might use both of their top-4 picks on quarterbacks.

Imagine if they drafted the guy from USC, and then three picks later drafted the guy from UCLA. Or vice versa.

That would be, I think, the most Browns thing ever.

The bigger question might be, what if they both turn out to be Goffs--that is to say, good quarterbacks, but not with that coaching staff?

It doesn't make a great deal of difference how talented your personnel are, if they're not coached properly.

On 4/22/2018 at 1:41 AM, Old Man said:

"And in today's most shocking story, President Donald Trump has resigned from the White House to take a position as the Cleveland Browns' starting quarterback. 'We love his hands,' one team official stated. 'They're huge!'"

then 2 weeks later start Leaf, go back to Russell  (then maybe start Wentz for a do or die start against the Pats, be he loses, so he gets benched permanently while they teeter with Leaf-Russell experiment)

Note: Bringing in a recently unretired Favre between Leaf and Russell starts optional.  ^_^

8 hours ago, Old Man said:

No, they'd draft a Wentz, spend the preseason teaching him bad habits, spend the first half of the season forcing him to call boneheaded plays and constantly play catch-up, then destroy whatever confidence he has left by benching him for JaMarcus Russell.

You're both wrong.  The scenario is that the Browns would draft Ryan Leaf at #1 and #4.  :)

1 minute ago, Cygnia said:

Place your bets on how the draft will backfire for Cleveland THIS year!

(Seriously, my father-in-law let out a long "OH NO!" when the #1 pick was Mayfield)

Who will be Baker Pancake by the middle of the 2018 season as he learns what it's like to not have an offensive line.

I've been desperately hoping for several weeks that the Donkeys weren't going to pick a quarterback with their first pick. Needless to say, I am relieved.

With Bradley Chubb lining up opposite Von Miller, I can't help but think that Rivers, Carr, and Mahomes aren't going to sleep quite as easy tonight.

1 hour ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

Who will be Baker Pancake by the middle of the 2018 season as he learns what it's like to not have an offensive line.

CLE's OL last season wasn't awful.  It wasn't awesome either, just average.

Statistically Mayfield is the best QB prospect in the draft; it remains to be seen how the coaching regime in Cleveland ruins his mechanics and decisionmaking.

Crazy night last night. Baker Mayfield as the #1 overall pick. Four QBs and two Notre Dame linemen in the first ten picks. Two brothers drafted in the first round, as Badger mentioned. No receivers drafted in the first 20 picks. A kid who was playing 8-man football five years ago picked in the first round by the Cowboys.The first and last picks of the first round were both Heisman-winning quarterbacks. Seven trades. Ryan freaking Shazier, as Starlord mentioned. Boos for Roger Goodell on pretty much every trip to the podium.

It was great theater. Now to see if it will be great football down the road.

Day two of the draft is in the books.  Browns' draft so far has been very polarizing depending on how the pundit in question views Mayfield.  Personally I think the Browns are drafting according to need, which is not a bad strategy as long as they're not reaching.

The Sin City Raiderps are not shy about trading up to get players with off field concerns.  At all.  It's like they're trying to out-Bungle the Bungles.